223 seating depth and rcbs thrower and cfe223 powder questions

CSM52

OK so loaded my first 223 rounds on my own tonight. Need you guys to just make sure I did not miss anything and also answer a couple questions

It was all once fired factory winchester brass. I FL sized it all and when I went to trim none needed trimming but to be uniform I trimmed all to 1.750.

After trimming I cleaned up the burs and case mouth with the little rcbs doohickey. I primed them with ccI small magnum primers and the rcbs hand primer. Got the primers pretty well flush.

OK here is the 1st question, why does the cfe223 powder stick to every darn thing?? Scale pan and especially my powder thrower. I ended up just dipping the powder out with my little scoop that comes with my Lee dies.

OK so I loaded 27gr of the cfe223 and was going to seat my bullet at 2.215 like my handy dandy book says buy the most seating depth I could get was 2.220-2.225 (my calipers are the devil).

It is a Lee dies and I also have the rcbs small base set that I did not try. I only loaded 5 rounds.

And I also cleaned the cases with the neck brush.

Load: 223
50gr vmax
27gr cfe223
COL 2.220-2.226
Primer CCI SRM

I assume all your equipment is new? That powder sticking is just static. You can try wiping everything down with dryer sheets it might help. Time and the graphite from powder will cure it.

Seating depth will depend on the rifle but you're at 2.220" and that's plenty deep. You won't have an issue there with chambering.

Everything else sounds good but you said primers were "pretty much flush". They should be to the bottom of the pocket, not sticking out at all.

Originally Posted By: CSM52OK here is the 1st question, why does the cfe223 powder stick to every darn thing?? Scale pan and especially my powder thrower. I ended up just dipping the powder out with my little scoop that comes with my Lee dies.

never had any problem with powder static cling in my climate. never used cfe223 powder so don't know if it is more prone to static cling than other powders are.

i have read of guys with cling problems using an anti static dryer sheet and wiping everything down with it. supposed to work very good.

was going to seat my bullet at 2.215 like my handy dandy book says buy the most seating depth I could get was 2.220-2.225 (my calipers are the devil).

all bullet seating stems are adjustable. screw the seating stem further into the die.

Wipe the pan down with a dryer sheet and the dispenser. My RCBS Charge Master was unusable out of the box until I did that. I wipe it down at the start of each session. CFE meters well you will like it.

Greg

Why Magnum primers? Does the load for Magnum primers? Is this load (27 gr.) of CF&E the Max. load? You say this was your first time. This is why I ask. I use CF&E powder for all my 223 loading. I have very little sticking,must not have much static in my basement. Lubed case necks and you will have a little collection of powder. Rudy

No this was min load per hodgon load data and magnum primers are what I was told to use (probably because that's all I can find local)

I just checked my reload sheet and got back on. 27gr. should be O.K. with magnum primers. I use the same load for my 53 gr. V-Max. Except I use regular CCI primers. This is my best load for 53 V-Max as a 3 shot group all touch at 100 yds. Seating at 2.200 is what the reload sheet calls for and it works in my rifle. I really like the CF&E in my 223 and 204 Ruger. Burns clean and meters smoothly. Welcome to the reloading club. I've been doing it for 44 yrs. now. Rudy

Not bad. It will get better! Instead of a square dot, try a crosshair. It will help you get a better focus on left,right and up,down. Rain will make you hurry a little, it did the last time I was out. Have fun developing a load your rifle likes.

Rudy

I wasn't clever enough to use dryer sheets or even ask anyone for help. Ended up just dumping powder in and out of the powder thrower many, many times until it quit sticking.

I have found that a rear rest in conjunction with a bipod makes a noticeable difference for me when I'm working up loads.
As ackleyman here says, wind makes more of a difference as well when you are trying to make changes of 1/4 MOA in your load.

I couldn't really get my best groups to repeat themselves during workup, and left the load alone to hunt for the season with intentions of almost starting over. Then I went and shot with a friend for fun on a day with absolutely zero wind, no rushing, and good rear rest. I shot the best three shot group I've had yet with that rifle, and that or any other load. then I tried for two more and screwed it up.
I am still going to experiment with my load this spring and summer, but I think it's better than I gave it credit for.

Originally Posted By: SubpaRI wasn't clever enough to use dryer sheets or even ask anyone for help.

ha, that made me smile. by the time i heard about dryer sheets there had been 2 tons of powder through mine and all the clinging was long gone. wish i would of heard about dryer sheets back in the beginning. lol

computers and the internet really makes things a lot easier now days.

Dipping funnels, pans, etc. in soapy water and air drying will also eliminate static. As for CCI450 vs. CCI 400, the manufacturer recommends the magnum primer in ARs. Thicker cup ya know.

OK so worked up some more loads, 27.5 gr and 28gr. Thus was the 27.5.

The 28gr group was a little wrose but my shooting was off bad for some reason.

Gonna try a rear rest and worl these loads up one more time. Thus one measured .74

Originally Posted By: CSM52OK so worked up some more loads, 27.5 gr and 28gr. Thus was the 27.5.

The 28gr group was a little wrose but my shooting was off bad for some reason.

Gonna try a rear rest and worl these loads up one more time. Thus one measured .74

Looks like you are on the right track. You might play with seating depth a little too..just to add another level of fiddling to the mix.
unsure.gif

Is the barrel staying cool while doing the test? I reload 50gr. Spirepoint dog town bullets. Push it with 28.5 gr. of CF&E( MAX load). OAL 2.210" CCI regular small rifle primers. This set up shoots good groups at 100 yards. I use this load because it shoots the same as the following load and I use both of these rounds on Prairie Dogs.
My rifle shoots seems to like the 53 gr. V-Max. I load 27.1 gr. of CF&E and CCI small rifle primers and is 2.23 OAL in my rifle. This 3 round group looks like Mickey Mouse ears at 100 yards. At 200 yards it is still .75 Moa when I do my part. I should mention my rifle is a 1/9 twist Howa. I did put a Timney trigger in it. Rudy

Last edited:
Those top two targets are sideways btw. My rounds seem to go up as I shoot. I'm gonna seat my bullets a little longer first and try that and take more time between shots

Keep us posted. It is interesting to see how changes on OAL can affect impact! When I tried to lengthen my V-Max's it made my group worst. My gun liked them the same OAL as on the sheet. Hollow points and Spire Points just off the rifling seemed to work the best in my rifle. Good Shooting....Rudy

Back