Thread size and barrel od

Humpness

Have a ultra9 30 5/8x24 direct thread at the shop. getting a plan now so I can shoot away when the day comes I get to take her home.

I dropped off a rifle today to get threaded and we measure the barrel od and it comes out at .650. It's a 6.5 and specs from tba says I'm limited to 1/2x28. I called tba and they said do 1/2x28 but any bigger of a caliber your screwed out of that barrel profile. I'd need .662 for 9/16x24. Is 1/2x28 ok for a creedmoor?

So it's looking like for now on I'm going to need to take calipers with me when I'm gun shopping. That or convert to brake attach. Which reminds me are there any options for my kimber Montana(that's actually at kimber) in 280ai. Apparently new barrels come threaded but I have no idea of pitch. The contour is super skinny. If I can squeeze out 9/16 threads it would be great in the future.

if TBA told you to do it, then it will be fine. I have a Weatherby Vanguard BackCountry in 240 WBY that is every bit that thin at the muzzle threaded 1/2-28. 2 years going strong

I had a Sako finnlight with a thin barrel threaded 1/2-28 and put a Thunder Beast CB brake .223 and had my Smith open it up to be safe for its .243 caliber. tbac does not offer anything but .223 in a 1/2-28. And I could not shorten the barrel because of the flutes.

I had my Tikka T3 Lite .270 threaded 1/2x28 at 22" and it works fine. Otherwise I would've had to chop it back to 18" to barely get enough shoulder for 9/16x24. You want .100 minimum over the thread diameter. Some won't do 1/2 on larger cals, others say it's fine...I wanted the velocity and didn't want the less popular 9/16 thread.

I had to call them about the kimber stuff so I asked a different guy(zak) and he told me to do 9/16 24. They said they would rather sacrifice some shoulder for some meat. .662 required .650 is what I gave them. Got it threaded and picked it up already too. Now I gotta find a source for 1/2-5/8(223) and 9/16-5/8(6.5) and kimbers 7/16-5/8(280ai which really confuses me after all this talk). All the rest have the correct threads.

Back