The best decoy action I've got so far in Va

Yes but it seems a lot harder durn the day first time I took him with me when he was a pup called 1 in he chased it but I bark to get the coyote to stop and he ran back to me so that didn't work. So I don't hunt to much durning the day been trying to get him out west for day light hunting but hasn't happened yet. Thank you

Last edited:
If I may make a suggestion?

I would put a collar on your dog with metal/tin strips attached to run the contour of the collar.

These metal strips would show as black (Cold) in your thermal. This would differentiate your dog versus a coyote.

Not sure if you are using NV on your shooting rig or not?

Just a thought for you.

Haha that would look pretty cool with the thermal. I do shoot with night vision but the main difference is the tail and the way the dog acts compared to the coyote body language. As of right now dog wears a jacket cause he gets cold to easy and when I turn the ir on it has reflectors on it. Also when you hunt a lot with the dog you just know but with red hot I can't tell which 1 is the dog or coyote.

I understand and that is why I use Gen3 Night Vision anytime I am near a ranchers house.

I was out about a month ago and my buddy and I were about to sit down (Day). He whistle's and points to a Coyote about 600 yards away.

Then he said, there's two of them. Grabbed his Bino's and said - They are dogs!!

They came straight in and the 1st dog was a type of Boxer, he was panting heavily and touched the call. Took off as soon as he knew the gig was up. 2nd dog was a wats behind him and it looked like a Golden retriever. If this would have been a night scenario it may have been bad for these two dogs if all I had was thermal. Nearest ranch was 2 miles either side of us.

Thors a Mountain Cur he's 3 years old now and about 57lbs. Hope to get him more action this year cause last year he chased all but 1 off and it got my wind.

Back