suppressed 10.5" 300 blk AR is too loud, thinking about going to a bolt gun

johncraddock445

I built a 10.5 AR with a 1.5" od 9" long form 1 can that is a little too loud for my taste for hunting... I have installed an adjustable gas block and tuned it which did seem to tone it down a bit but it's still louder then my .308 with the same can and supers in both. I'm really considering going with a 300blk bolt gun... (either the rem 700 or ruger ranch) to have a more quiet hunting option... do any of you guys also find that your suppressed AR's are louder than you would like for hunting?

Shooting supers through an SBR is going to be loud even with a suppressor on. My 11.5" .223 is probably on the edge of hearing safe with my Omega, but it's for home defense, not hunting. It's still better than unsuppressed. A bolt action will help since there won't be a BCG slamming forward.

Originally Posted By: gary paughMy 8.5" 300 blk AR is way louder than my Ruger ranch rifle, but when I let someone else shoot it it seems very quiet.

That's because the ejection port is about 9" from your ear!

OK guys... I'm pretty ignorant about suppressors and have a question. Is this conversation indicating that if I want a truly quiet suppressed rifle that I need to stay away from the AR platform all together and consider using a bolt gun?

I was thinking of getting a 300BO 16" upper for my AR and getting a suppressor for it to shoot subsonic and supersonic.

I do NOT want to have to wear hearing protection and am very serious about protecting what little hearing I have left.

An AR, or any semi auto will never be as quiet as a bolt gun, all else being equal.

If your wanting both subsonic and supersonic performance IMO a regular 308 us the most versatile. It is STUPID quiet with subs and far superior in supersonic performance. It's even better if you reload for it.

If you strictly want to shoot subs and a little supersonic, I highly recommend the Ruger Ranch Rifle. Super quiet and accurate.

Suppressor selection is also extremely important. If you want the utmost in decibel reduction, look at a 9" can. Volume helps a lot. I run an SAS Arbiter MX and it performs awesome and is hearing safe even with full power 300WM loads.

Search my post, as I done a range report here on the suppressor forum with my RAR and the Arbiter MX.

Originally Posted By: Kino MAn AR, or any semi auto will never be as quiet as a bolt gun, all else being equal.

If your wanting both subsonic and supersonic performance IMO a regular 308 us the most versatile. It is STUPID quiet with subs and far superior in supersonic performance. It's even better if you reload for it.

If you strictly want to shoot subs and a little supersonic, I highly recommend the Ruger Ranch Rifle. Super quiet and accurate.

Suppressor selection is also extremely important. If you want the utmost in decibel reduction, look at a 9" can. Volume helps a lot. I run an SAS Arbiter MX and it performs awesome and is hearing safe even with full power 300WM loads.

Search my post, as I done a range report here on the suppressor forum with my RAR and the Arbiter MX.

+1 to what Kino said about the SAS Arbiter MX. Fantastic can for the money. I run an Arbiter on my Ruger American Ranch in 300blk, and subs are just stupid quiet. The supers for it with a suppressor are still very much hearing safe.

Try using an adjustable gas block to tune the BCC to work with less gas and decrease the gas sound in the receiver.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: gary paughMy 8.5" 300 blk AR is way louder than my Ruger ranch rifle, but when I let someone else shoot it it seems very quiet.

That's because the ejection port is about 9" from your ear!
-
this right there ^
yes.. had a couple Shorty/suppressed .30's and with the pistol position Gas Block, they were louder than all other suppressed AR's That I have .
Hunted nights for several years with .30 221 rem. and high Vel. suppressed out a Boltaction . You move that 30-BLK to Boltaction , and it is a sweet & mellow 'low' sound signature with High-Vel. out in the open fields .

Barrel length is a huge factor in noise signature. That is one of the big trade-offs in suppressed shooting, ease of handling with a short barrel vs noise/performance with a long barrel.

Like most things there is more than one way to skin a cat. Both AR's and bolt action rifles, the actual barrel starts pretty far forward. In essence, that 6" of action length is lost. Some actions, like the Encore, the actual barrel starts way at the back.

Both of these 223 rifles have an 18" barrel. The CZ 527 on the bottom also has an adjustable stock for my daughter and is set with a LOP that is 1" shorter than the Encore on the top. But even so, you can see that the Encore is still shorter with the can, than the CZ is without it. And that CZ is a micro Mauser that is pretty dang short and light anyways.

So, basically I could have kept the Encore at 24" to gain the barrel length, or do what I did in this case which was cut it to the same barrel length as the CZ and have a super compact little rifle. That Encore is 37.5" OAL with an 18" barrel and the can on, which puts it down in the same size range as a SBR AR-15.

I'm not saying that is what you should do, merely stating there are other options if a guy wants to look around and explore them.

Back