Shaw vs Criterion vs Shilen vs Mcgowen

Hey Russ, I knew you like the Shaw barrels and I have had a CBI and a friend has one now. They are shooters. Thinking of converting my 22-250 to 260.

I'd like to make a very respectful suggestion here.

Do the math on a great barrel vs an inexpensive one over the expected life of the barrel. I see no reason not to save a little longer and get a great stick.

I understand that there is a difference in everyone's needs. I just like shooting little groups and cleaning without brushes. I'm also sure that there have been some very exceptional barrels from each of these manufacturers from time to time. I have had one of each on the list over the last several years, and the only one I can't speak bad about is mcgowen, because that barrel was on a 416 RM and it of course shot well enough to hunt the very large game it was made for.

Nothing against anyone else's beliefs.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHey Russ, I knew you like the Shaw barrels and I have had a CBI and a friend has one now. They are shooters. Thinking of converting my 22-250 to 260.

It would be be such a cinch, Bill. No bolt mods, just take off the .22/250 barrel, screw on the .260 Rem barrel, headspace and go shooting. Now that I have done it several times with different Savages I can truthfully say that it is a very easy thing to do. Of course, you need certain things like a barrel nut wrench and a way to hold your action or barrel. You can headspace with go no-go gauges or just use new unfired brass. Nothing to it.

If I had bad luck with even one Shaw barrel ever I'm pretty sure that I never would have bought another.

I have a friend that has all the tools. He wants me to buy a wrench for the new barrel nuts and he's gonna repay me for it. Can't beat that deal. Just wished I could con him in to buying the barrel!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogJust bought a Shilen Select Match over on Accurate Shooter forum. Guess we shall see how it works out.

Well good for you! And I think that if this gun don't be shooting the way you want it to then the barrel should be the last thing to look at.

Keep us (hey-at least me) posted as to how your new baby does. Bet she does just fine.

The one with the funky barrel is all better now. Still haven't decided what to do with the barrel though. I have no garden for tomatoe stakes.

My last two Shilen barrels were both Savage pre-fits. Both were select match quality. One is a 6.5CM that I had Shilen install / headspace for $75 - well worth it. This is installed on a Model 11 LWH and is contour S3 savage sporter. This barrel was a dream to break in and is very accurate. The other is a 6BR barrel Savage varmint contour installed on a pre-accutrigger Model 110. I am still doing stock work ad have not shot it yet but I expect it to be equally as good.

Before discounting Shilen quality I would do a historical search on these barrels. At one time Shilen had more world record barrels than all others combined. With all of the other manufacturers out there today the quality is spread out. Its hard to find a bad barrel.

When my dad was still building rifles he used a lot of Shaw and considered them one step above a good factory barrel and one step below a match barrel.

No experience with CBI but have heard good things.

I've used Shilen barrels before and had good results. The 260R has 27 rounds fired through it, so I'm taking a chance on the seller being truthful, but the pictures he sent and his reviews were good, so I am taking his word. He says Shilen did the chamber and threading of the barrel and it is their Select Match so......we shall see. I did hear that when Ed's son took over the business, quality kinda went down but that was a long time ago so I'm hoping there will be no major issues.

I have a Shilen Select Match prefit 260 Rem. on a Savage 16, and it exceeds my expectation, both in accuracy and easy of cleaning.

I have a Shaw prefit, on another Savage 16, in 6mm Rem. It was kind of an experiment rifle, to see if I liked the 6mm Rem. cartridge...Love the cartridge, and the barrel shoots better than the price suggests it should. Sub-MOA groups for the 80 gr. Barnes TTSX load, that antelope hate, means I am in no hurry to spend more money on another barrel until this one grows the group size.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeI have a Shilen Select Match prefit 260 Rem. on a Savage 16, and it exceeds my expectation, both in accuracy and easy of cleaning.

I have a Shaw prefit, on another Savage 16, in 6mm Rem. It was kind of an experiment rifle, to see if I liked the 6mm Rem. cartridge...Love the cartridge, and the barrel shoots better than the price suggests it should. Sub-MOA groups for the 80 gr. Barnes TTSX load, that antelope hate, means I am in no hurry to spend more money on another barrel until this one grows the group size.

Squeeze

Does your 260 barrel have a load that it prefers over other loads? I have a Tikka that shoots 120 Noslers pretty good but its still a "work in progress" rifle right now. Still under 50 rounds fired right now.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: SqueezeI have a Shilen Select Match prefit 260 Rem. on a Savage 16, and it exceeds my expectation, both in accuracy and easy of cleaning.

Squeeze

Does your 260 barrel have a load that it prefers over other loads? I have a Tikka that shoots 120 Noslers pretty good but its still a "work in progress" rifle right now. Still under 50 rounds fired right now.

I tried the 85 gr. Sierra HP, for a varmint bullet, over Benchmark, and it shot well enough to just table the load, if I ever need/want a varmint load. Primarily, I was after a long range deer/antelope rifle, so for the deer part, in WI, I tried a 100 gr. Barnes TTSX bullet, again over Benchmark. It didn't take too many development loads, and I was shooting tiny groups, with a number of them being just a ragged hole. Given the longer Barnes bullet, for the weight, it should perform well in the wind, but my range is pretty wooded out to 300 yards, so I don't get a great test of that. In the woods, I am holding about a 1.5" group at 300...Nice deer rifle.
grin.gif

When I make my next trip to WY, for antelope, I will work up a heavier VLD bullet load, and test the two once I get on the windy high plains...But Barnes TTSX bullets have done well in the WY wind, in both my 300 WSM, and my 6mm Rem.

This last deer season, I did a community service shot on an doe that some previous archery season person shot poorly on, at 180 yards. Quartering towards, nice lung and heart shot, 50 yard run, and skidded to a halt. The autopsy showed the 100 gr. TTSX did a great job of turning vitals into blood pudding, and left about a 2" exit hole to ventilate. Quite happy with the barrel so far. Cleans very easy.

Squeeze

I need to work a deer load for my Tikka as it will be my primary hunting rifle. The Savage will be getting the Shilen barrel and I want to use it mainly for long range shooting. It will probably be a fairly heavy rifle when finished.

My experience is with two Shilen prefits, a 243AI and a 20 Practical. Both shot 1/3 MOA consistently, sometimes better, with hand loads. I don't have enough rounds through the 20 Practical but I think it will average 1/4 MOA over time.

I've got a McGowan in 338 Edge sitting here waiting for an action and stock. So I can't comment from personal experience.

I do think that for the uses of 98% of shooters, you won't tell the difference between most custom barrel makers.

Back