Airboat "waterbug" project water test #2 Hulls

jetman

I have been a long time building a catamaran style airboat from scratch .
It's going to be powered by a 1600 VW air cooled motor and a 59" 3 blade prop. This is water test of the hulls #2. next step will be the motor, drive and prop, the fun part...

101_2549_zpssq3orjv4.jpg

101_2550_zps2792exwt.jpg

101_2551_zpsfk2scyqq.jpg

101_2551_zpsfk2scyqq.jpg

101_2552_zpsqz3axhug.jpg

101_2553_zpsrlfsaaui.jpg

101_2554_zpsrvam7y9m.jpg

101_2555_zpsgymhr2sz.jpg

101_2556_zpsogplerq5.jpg

101_2557_zpsh8pkmcz3.jpg

101_2557_zpswcevydeb.jpg

101_2558_zpsmldrbb14.jpg

All went well.
the many holes I poked in the bottom to attach the HDPE and steel I was concerned for leaking.

WATER TIGHT Nice.

All the work on the bottom to make it slick seamed to work.
When I in hooked one of the tie downs in back the boat very nearly unloaded its self on the ramp...

We put about 400 pounds in water in tubs and pieces of Iron to see what it would be when the motor is on .
It does push it a little deeper then the last test.
It now is right at 5" of water with two people and the extra 400 pounds, a little deeper then I had hoped but I think it will still be ok, Hope anyway.
More later.

Always thought an airboat would be a lot of fun and could get you into many places a standard boat cant. Looks like you are going to have some fun days ahead. When is anticipated completion date?

Yeehaw, I see some fun times ahead. Have you considered a platform across the bow? Makes entry/ exit easier and a real plus for bowfishing etc. What's inside the hulls? Filling with foam might give extra protection when a guy hits that stump at night. Could even be sprayed in through small holes like house insulation. Extra safety would be foam under seats that is unless you plan on leaving the swivel plastic ones, seems to me a guy is better off with an elevated seat to better see upcoming obstacles. Overall I think you did a brilliant bit of work there. Keep us updated.

Originally Posted By: GroundPounderGood job, I built one years ago, had a 1600 vw also with 54" 28 degree prop,it loaded the engine down a tad. Get ear muffs & have fun.

Got any pictures?
What kinda boat did you put it on?
Would it run on dry ground ???

Back