What type of gun for coyote hunting?

JohnV2675

I live in Allegheny county in Pennsylvania, so I can't use a centerfire rifle to hunt coyotes. I already own a .22 magnum (but I think that's underpowered for coyotes) and a 12 gauge with a smooth barrel and a rifled barrel. For hunting outside of Allegheny county, I have a match grade AR-15, but I am worried about hunting near my house.

I figured my basic options for coyote hunting are either a rim fire, a shotgun, and a muzzleloader. I basically crossed off the rimfire option because I don't want to risk wounding one of God's animals.

For the shotgun, I was thinking about using #4 buckshot with a speciality coyote choke. I am a little bit worried about pelt damage, though, because I want to harvest the coyotes for their pelts. I won't necessarily sell the pelts, but I want to make something nice with them.

I was looking at getting a muzzleloader, but I was afraid of using a .50 because I thought it might hurt the pelts. I'm thinking of building either a .36 or .40 caliber percussion cap rifle, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

What gun do you think I should get?

Maybe go with the .17 WSM B-mag....it's gonna be more powerful than the .22 Magnum!Oh yeah.....then there's the .17 HMR go with the Savage A-17 for multiple shots!

The .17 WSM only has 75 ft lbs more energy. For that little gain, I hate to spend $450 on a new gun. But it's a

Percussion rifles seem very antiquated, but a single .40 round ball seems more friendly to pelts than a bunch of #4 buckshot pellets.

Just for fun, what do you think a hard cast 800 brain full bore 12 gauge slug would do to a coyote pelt? It might go slow enough to not do too much damage.

Originally Posted By: JohnV2675a single .40 round ball seems more friendly to pelts than a bunch of #4 buckshot pellets.
might seem that way, but it is not the case. i keep and put up my coyote hides for the fur buyers. have killed a bunch with a shotgun and 4 buck. a 4 buck pellet makes a very small hole in a coyote hide. even if there is a bunch of those small holes in a hide it does not matter. never have to put a stitch in them and the fur buyer is never concerned about holes of that size.

now if you shoot a coyote real, real close and hit it takes the whole load, then that is a different story.

If I shot a coyote at say 10-15 yards with #4 buck, what would happen? Also, do hunters normally just use the front bead or do they use other sights for a shotgun?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnV2675If I shot a coyote at say 10-15 yards with #4 buck, what would happen? Also, do hunters normally just use the front bead or do they use other sights for a shotgun?

It will die.

I run vent rib and 2 beads. Some use scopes or dot sights like Burris speed beads.

Originally Posted By: JohnV2675If I shot a coyote at say 10-15 yards with #4 buck, what would happen? Also, do hunters normally just use the front bead or do they use other sights for a shotgun?

I've got a red dot on mine because I use it for night and the bead is useless at night.

Quote:It will die.

I was figuring that might be the case
grin.gif
, but I meant more about what would happen to the pelt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: JohnV2675a single .40 round ball seems more friendly to pelts than a bunch of #4 buckshot pellets.
might seem that way, but it is not the case. i keep and put up my coyote hides for the fur buyers. have killed a bunch with a shotgun and 4 buck. a 4 buck pellet makes a very small hole in a coyote hide. even if there is a bunch of those small holes in a hide it does not matter. never have to put a stitch in them and the fur buyer is never concerned about holes of that size.

now if you shoot a coyote real, real close and hit it takes the whole load, then that is a different story.

This is absolutely correct. I know some folks are claiming to use #9 shot out to 50yds
frown.gif
but the #4 buck with a proper choke is hard to beat!

What you might want to try is take some 4 buck loads and a couple of pumpkins, water melons, or some such and go to the field. Put the Pumpkins (targets) or what ever up on a fence post and take 14 or so good paces away from the target and shoot at it. You will find out where your gun is hitting which may in and of itself be eye opening for you and if you manage a solid hit you will very quickly and dramatically see what that load will do at that distance.

If you connect properly your worries and your concerns about wounding one of Gods creatures I think will be put to rest....

Really.... put to rest.......

If using a shotgun go with #4 buck. As stated, very little fur damage. I wouldn't worry about shooting one at 10-15 yards here in Pa. that would be pretty rare.

No need to purchase a new gun, I have a friend that used a 22 mag exclusively for coyotes and he puts them down with no problem out to 110 yards or so. It is all on shot placement.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: huntschoolWhat you might want to try is take some 4 buck loads and a couple of pumpkins, water melons, or some such and go to the field. Put the Pumpkins (targets) or what ever up on a fence post and take 14 or so good paces away from the target and shoot at it. You will find out where your gun is hitting which may in and of itself be eye opening for you and if you manage a solid hit you will very quickly and dramatically see what that load will do at that distance.

If you connect properly your worries and your concerns about wounding one of Gods creatures I think will be put to rest....

Really.... put to rest.......

Shooting pumpkins and melons sounds like great fun but save yourself a lot of grief (and money) and shoot some test patterns at 30 & 40yds on a BIG piece of paper or cardboard. Your gun/choke may be throwing a nice pattern, it just may not be where you think it is. Paper at 40 yds will let you know exactly what is happening!

+1 for #4 buck. Pelt damage is minimal. Mostly just nice round holes.

If you can get them within 10-15 yards, shoot them in the head if you are really worried about pelt damage.

I to live in allegheny co, pa. i tryed the shotgun thing thy were always out of range for me .60 yrds and further. check around your walmarts in your area they might still have old models of bmags from savage i got mine for 150.00 this works good hit em in the head .also they are comming out with solid copper hollow points .i tryed 17hmr just not enuff never found them. this allegheny rimfire thing is nuts they should let us at least use a 17 hornet.or 22 hornet.

Originally Posted By: JohnV2675I plan on it, but coyote hunting runs all year round and trapping is only during the winter, at least that's what I understand.

Worrying about wounding one is commendable but you'll hunt them in the spring when they have pups in the den or summer when the pelts are worthless?
Go fishing and save the Coyote hunting/trapping for winter.

A muzzle loader would a fun challenge but I'd start with a Shotgun.
A Shotgun'll work fine and the shot size holes in the hide are a non issue.

Luck

Back