300 AAC Blackout?

Running a 300 bo in an ar platform. Set up for deer/hog hunting shooting 130gr. Barnes. Good set up for kids, not loud, no recoil and stock adjusts to fit lil ones. That was my excuse to the wife for needing another AR. It worked!!! Plus daddy gets to use it too.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleRunning a 300 bo in an ar platform. Set up for deer/hog hunting shooting 130gr. Barnes. Good set up for kids, not loud, no recoil and stock adjusts to fit lil ones. That was my excuse to the wife for needing another AR. It worked!!! Plus daddy gets to use it too.

Right on! I love mine. I have an AR in 300 BLK, and am in the process of building a bolt gun that I plan to get a suppressor for. It will be the ultimate in whisper quiet. I killed a few deer with my AR this year, and it is a nice handy little gun to shoot, when you don't have shots more than 250-300 yds.

I built an AR platform useing a AAC barrel and bolt group before Reminton bought them. The lower is a Anderson Arms. I have taken 2 deer and my 1'st cat with it. I love this set up for out to 200 yard's.

Originally Posted By: WigenheadI built an AR platform useing a AAC barrel and bolt group before Reminton bought them. The lower is a Anderson Arms. I have taken 2 deer and my 1'st cat with it. I love this set up for out to 200 yard's.

You shooting handloads or factory ammo?

I've played with one the past year or so in a bolt gun & only subsonic with heavy bullets (suppressed). 22LR type trajectory but if you have a rangefinder & know the dope, hits are easy enough.

Standard bullets are pretty un-effective other than punching paper. Even squirrels will spin around, jump & flip when hit (unless way up front).

Bought some Maker & Outlaw subsonic expanding bullets. Killed 5 deer & a plethora of "opportunity" vermin with those. Had mixed results with the Makers with way less than desirable on the small stuff. The Outlaw bullet on other hand is great. It really changes the sub velocity performance of the cartridge. However, it doesn't feed super great with the honking big hollow point, & has proven to be less accurate (at least in my rifle) than the Makers or the 208 Amax (not a lot but noticeable on paper).

I think it makes a great suppressed close combat weapon, but as a hunting weapon(this is a predator hunting sight)there are so many more calibers that are so much better that it wouldn't even be on my list.

I run 125 Speer TNT out of mine. Haven't shot a deer or coyote with it yet so I can't say how it kills but it would be a great close in gun for kids or women. Waiting on a BHW 6.5 Grendel barrel (actually .264 LBC) that I hope to shoot deer and coyotes with. I'm running mine in a AR platform also.

Killed 2 deer with a Ruger Ranch 16" bolt gun and the Nosler 110gn Varmageddon's over 19.0gns of Lil Gun. Also shot a feral dog with the same. All three were bang-flop. Both deer where upper neck shots and dog was middle of the boiler room and on the run. Dog had a lung hanging out the back side when we rolled it over...

For subs, I run the 220gn Round Nose Sierra game king. That big fat meplate is an anvil. Hits like an anvil and flys like one too.
w00t.gif

Here's a picture of my 300. It's a lefty 700 that Chad Dixon of LRI built for me. It has a 1in8 twist Bartlein barrel, HS Precision Stock and bottom metal, Jewell trigger and Thunderbeast suppressor. Chad and team did an awesome job on this rifle for me in record time. It shot much better than expected so I put a Nightforce on it with a lighted reticle for night hunting.
I started with just about every single 110 grain bullet out there for coyotes. What I didn't like was the pass throughs I was getting so I tried the new Sierra 135grn Varmint bullet and it seems to have stopped the problem.

Originally Posted By: g BoDoes the 300 bo put the coyotes down pretty good with subsonic Ammo ?

Not with any bullets I have used. They act like they were shot with a 22 rimfire. In fact, I have NEVER recovered a coyote shot with a subsonic 300BO!

I have shot several coyotes with the 180 grain maker bullets. I hunt with a dog so the shots are usually between 50 and 75 yards. I have had several bang flops but those shots are straight on and I try to place the bullet a little higher than normal. If it is a broad side shot I am also shooting for a shoulder shot to anchor him.

Originally Posted By: 5194

Here's a picture of my 300. It's a lefty 700 that Chad Dixon of LRI built for me. It has a 1in8 twist Bartlein barrel, HS Precision Stock and bottom metal, Jewell trigger and Thunderbeast suppressor. Chad and team did an awesome job on this rifle for me in record time. It shot much better than expected so I put a Nightforce on it with a lighted reticle for night hunting.
I started with just about every single 110 grain bullet out there for coyotes. What I didn't like was the pass throughs I was getting so I tried the new Sierra 135grn Varmint bullet and it seems to have stopped the problem.

I like how you think, the 135 gr Varminter is my go to hunting bullet for my 300 BLK!

I shoot a SBR suppressed 300 BO. Shooting supersonics I have taken my first two hogs. Shot placement is the key. 1st hog 148 pounds 40 yards, 2d hog 158 pounds 100 yards, both in the ear canal and result was DRT with only a twitch or two.

I really want a little Ruger Ranch .300 BO.. not sure why just seems like a fun little round to play with. Wish we had more hog hunting here, Dont know if I would use it for deer hunting. Maybe a close quarters North idaho white tail hunt?

Back