Thoughts on a recent hammock gazebo project

Tbone-AZ

Last year in the fall, i saw some triangle shades at Costco on clearance and thought that i would like to use those for something.

I have a tether ball in my back yard and the kids don't use it. I also like laying out in the hammock at night and thought that a place to hang hammocks (cause the kids are always taking my spot)

I figured that most of the year something with shade would be nice and the wheels were turning. I came up with some rigid metal conduit in 2 sizes and some regular 3/4" on the top for shade.

The pics below are how it turned out. But basically three poles all 8' tall in place with 18" below ground and cement. The tops are hole drilled and then welded into place. I can do pull-ups on these top supports without the poles bending. The shade thing was easier than i thought it would be since the poles are all spread exactly 10' apart and held in place by the cross bars. I took a bender and some cast iron Ts. I bend the 10' section of 3/4 into a circle, then cut into 3 pieces 40" long and then put them back together and welded them together to hold the 3/4" conduit that hangs 4' past the ends of each pole. (the shades are 13' long triangles. I used black bungee's to keep tension and hold the shades in place.

Now i have a place for 6 hammocks (like bunk beds) and the kids love to hang out there and lay and read in the hammocks. It's taken a long time to finish since it seems that for 2 months everyone in the house has been taking turns getting sick. The little guy(10m old) has been pulling extra duty with 5 colds in a row.

Thoughts??

thanks..

If i wasn't so scared of punching a pipe, i would have set it up over one end of the pool.

That overgrown area in the back is a future raised bed garden (when i get time, lol)

I want to go out and cut some logs with the chainsaw and build an actual outdoor covered seating area, then fill in with rock. But that is going to have to wait for me to get time to get to Prescott to get the darn permit to cut the beams from logs from Juniper.

Very nice job, Tbone. I can see some lazy evenings enjoying the sunset in your future.
thumbup.gif

Thanks guys.

AZ, as it just so happens, my next project it getting to the mail to ship things out to people, but right after that, i have a mobile fire pit next on the list.

No sandwiches, but i was thinking about running electric out there, for a fridge, and water for misters. The wife was all about the misters, but said to just bring a cooler with you. I do appreciate how she keeps it simple. I have a tendency to over do it.

Hey Tbone a great portable fire pit is a washer drum out of an old washing machine works great.
Put about an 18" piece of pipe up the center of it and weld an old brake rotor on the pipefor a stand. We made one and used take it to Nascar down in Vegas.

Now that is nice.

I just have to be careful with it kids around.

I have a piece of drainage pipe. It's about 24" big, and i have a 1/2" piece of concrete backer board for the bottom.

I was thinking about tracing it out, then adding a 2" lip, getting fire brick for the inside, fill the gaps with fire mortar mix, then add a standing soldier course around the outside along the bottom sitting on the lip and adding a set of metal caster to be able to drag it around.

The top is sharp, so i have some left over 3/4" conduit and have already bent it to match the arc and was going to cut a slit in the bottom and then put that over the top lip to round it over and keep kids from cutting themselves on it. welding it in place. (I am still working on a solution for the top to keep coals from flying off)

Looks great but you will want to tighten up that shade or it will wear through from touching your hammock stand in a matter of days. You don't want it to rub anywhere.

Thx, i am working on it. I have a set of grommets to make the eye lets to tie rope to the poles and using bungee's to keep it tight.

Back