AR pistols, SBR's and variations ...

I have a Colt Commando 11.5 SBR.

It looks good, feels light and is off the charts loud.

Not to mention bullets come out pathetically slow.

It is now a conversational piece that takes up space in the gun safe.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchI have a Colt Commando 11.5 SBR.

It looks good, feels light and is off the charts loud.

Not to mention bullets come out pathetically slow.

It is now a conversational piece that takes up space in the gun safe.

Too funny! Great stuff!

I've always wanted an AR pistol, but I never could get past the performance loss. Those short barrels really do hamstring the 5.56 cartridge. Now that I have a carbine in .300blk, my interest in a pistol configuration has been piqued again. Of course, an SBR would be a lot more fun, but the peoples' republic of Illinois says I can't have one....so pistol it shall be.

i've got a 300 blk pistol - 9" aac barrel. great fun gun, one of these years i'll actually hunt with it. Took my first deer suppressed this past season with my 300blk rifle so i knocked that off my hunting bucket list, so pistoling one is another step. its scoped with a 1.75-5x32 vortex with the BDC. biggest challenge was keeping it under 26" so i could legally treat it as a pistol for MI CPL rules so that legal transport was easier to deal with.

i usually fire mine with a cheek weld on the buffer tube, with the rear of the buffer tube just touching my earlobe. gives a nice eye relief for the scope and makes it for a nice stable 3rd point of contact as well.

runs supers and subs well, both suppressed and not. H2 buffer was the magic key for keeping the supers from being over gassed. accuracy is more than reasonable. with supers i'm at dang near ak47 rifle ballistics out of a MP5 sized package
thumbup.gif

4d678a50-227e-4452-b856-17ec04c04df7_zpshuhkffqk.jpg

When I was guiding I looked at an AR pistol because as a guide we are limited in Arizona to only carrying pistols. I thought that it was a good compromise but the T/C turned out to be a better choice in the long run.

I've been looking at one chambered in 460 Rowland. The 6.8spc is also very intriguing, what velocities are people getting with the 6.8 in a 10.5"-13" barrels?

^ If that question is for me, there's two reasons. Around here I can't have an uncased rifle in my truck even with a carry permit and I can use a handgun deer hunting in shotgun zones that are all around my area.

A 460 Rowland AR would chamber .45s but I'm not sure if it would cycle the action with direct impingement.

I'm leaning towards a 6.8 but I've already got a 1911 in 460 Rowland and it's impressive, 460 Rowland through a 12" barrel would be a real hammer that would be a breeze to shoot.

i've also got a 13" 450 bushmaster barrel laying around that i've considered making a pistol upper build out of... biggest issue i face is the 26" rule here in michigan and shortening the barrel enough with my lower to achieve that would pretty much neuter the caliber - it really starts to lose FPS bad below 13" - without going to a buffer tube assembly/bcg from a PDW style stock and adding hundreds of dollars to my pistol lower.....

i could still build it at 13", but then i wouldnt be able to carry it (assembled) as a pistol anymore so it takes the joy out of it.

Back