Annealing wssm brass

Hey BrassRat, I noticed the article you referred me to says that "Catshooter" wrote the article. We had a CatShooter here a few years back that also lived in Connecticut as your business card says you do. Are you the same CatShooter that was banned from this site? Using a different username now? Just curious.

Yeah, that's what I figured. He loves to argue and be a general pain. I wonder if he is still banned or did he figure out a back way in.

Last edited:
I didn't have to see the name, I knew when he said that he was almost out of his favorite 220 Swift powder 4007SSC.

Well there might have been a few other clues as well.

Lets keep this on topic please. It has been brought to my attention. Let's move on.
Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
I've got 500 pieces of 25 WSSM brass I might need to work over in the future. This thread is really quite educational to me.

I've read about just doing the 450 templaque down toward the base as opposed to the 750 on top. Does that make sense? I'm going to do some 243 LBC to start.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI've got 500 pieces of 25 WSSM brass I might need to work over in the future. This thread is really quite educational to me.

I've read about just doing the 450 templaque down toward the base as opposed to the 750 on top. Does that make sense? I'm going to do some 243 LBC to start.

Greg

There's obviously lots of people that have more experience at it than me. If I had a big batch I might send them off to a professional but being a DIYer I had to try.

I did another 70 or so yesterday with the water and oxy torch. IMO they turned out great. Only thing better would be two torch heads to get both sides at once. The heads stay nice and cool obviously and you can get it annealed to the shoulder. The necks resized easily.

This wssm isn't going to be a high round count gun, so I don't need to get too carried away with fast production.

I've done the lbc and it's way easier since it's a normal thickness. Here turning it in a socket and propane will get you done nicely.

Another little note is clean the brass first. I found out sooty brass does not anneal well for some reason, and it's hard to see your colors.

I agree with GL Shooter this is educational to me also.
I also use templaque.
Does propane work just as well as mapp gas?

Originally Posted By: Matt1953I agree with GL Shooter this is educational to me also.
I also use templaque.
Does propane work just as well as mapp gas?

Map is more consistent in the burn. Less "junk" in propane.

Back