Circle down wind.

Originally Posted By: GCTell me again how many coyotes you're killing?

Tell me again how much experience you have hunting western PA?

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to the east, only experienced eastern hunters have any useful advice to offer. We all know the issue with being limited to one piece of private property, woods so thick you can't see more than ten yards in front of you at night, stands that might last more than an hour because you know the coyote is there, but it's taking its good ol time getting there, wind that shifts direction nineteen times in ten minutes, and these coyotes hesitation of ever stepping into a field.

How much of that do you deal with in Missouri?

Being from NWPA myself, I can say that educating coyotes is educating coyotes. East or west is irrelevant. They're far smarter than you're giving them credit for. The coyote doesn't forget. That's what keeps them alive. As far as houndsmen running dogs every weekend. They may, but only during the winter months with good tracking snow.You need fresh tracks to turn the hounds on. No snow = no tracks.... No way to know there's a coyote in the area for dogs to track....

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: GCTell me again how many coyotes you're killing?

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to the east, only experienced eastern hunters have any useful advice to offer. We all know the issue with being limited to one piece of private property, woods so thick you can't see more than ten yards in front of you at night, stands that might last more than an hour because you know the coyote is there, but it's taking its good ol time getting there, wind that shifts direction nineteen times in ten minutes, and these coyotes hesitation of ever stepping into a field.

I didn't see an answer to the question there. I did see a spew of conditions or excuses that apply to many of us in certain areas.
What conditions you describe fits about half of our state. Some places 10 feet is normal visibility
I frequently spend over an hour on stand by choice to get the kill.
A couple months back I spent several hours on stand in the same spot with the wind shifting and sitting in the drivers seat of my truck. Ended up killing 17 coyotes off that private property. With photo's and many happy witnesses I have a reputation for getting it done.
Sometimes I put twice the time in only to get a pic but some of those pics turn out good.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: GCTell me again how many coyotes you're killing?

Says the brandy spanking new coyote hunter with a sum total of one kill under his belt. I think I more clearly see the problem... and it isn't the coyotes.

Originally Posted By: foxhoundBeing from NWPA myself, I can say that educating coyotes is educating coyotes. East or west is irrelevant. They're far smarter than you're giving them credit for. The coyote doesn't forget. That's what keeps them alive. As far as houndsmen running dogs every weekend. They may, but only during the winter months with good tracking snow.You need fresh tracks to turn the hounds on. No snow = no tracks.... No way to know there's a coyote in the area for dogs to track....

And yet I called one into my property three times in a row...I have no idea how long it took it to come in, but it came in every time, and all within three weeks.

I can't say anything about your area, but they're still running dogs here. They just ran them last weekend. No need for snow.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: GCTell me again how many coyotes you're killing?

Says the brandy spanking new coyote hunter with a sum total of one kill under his belt. I think I more clearly see the problem... and it isn't the coyotes.

Yep, I'm new, but that doesn't mean I don't communicate with long time hunters in this area. No one is calling in and dropping coyotes on a weekly basis here. There aren't enough coyotes for one, and they have more in their favor than any hunter does.

To the guy above that made a comment about 17 coyotes, good for you. I have never heard of anyone in my part of PA getting more than 2-3 off one piece of property, let alone seeing 17 coyotes in one vicinity. We don't have the populations here.

You guys can say what you want, but until you come here and hunt them, it's all moot.

EDIT: If I was the ONLY person making comments about how difficult hunting these animals are around here then I would say I'm doing something wrong. However, I've NEVER heard anyone say hunting NWPA or WV is "easy" or always "successful."

Last edited:
You won't always be successful, but eventually you will understand why they've been so difficult for you and what you need to do to about it. There is a steep learning curve that takes time and effort to figure out. There's a systematic approach to it all, that can only really be known through gaining experience.

Unless you already know it all from talking to other guys that don't kill coyotes either. Somehow that's a winning strategy. Carry on...

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerYou won't always be successful, but eventually you will understand why they've been so difficult for you and what you need to do to about it. There is a steep learning curve that takes time and effort to figure out. There's a systematic approach to it all, that can only really be known through gaining experience.

My approach now consists of finding land owners who are having them show up in their yard, howling near their property on a regular basis, etcera. Basically, I find out where they are. Then I acquire permission to hunt. Sometimes I can use a rifle, but sometimes it's shotgun only. After I acquire permission I print out maps of the property, houses, possible routes for the coyotes, wind direction, then I figure out how to set up so they'll give me a clear shot. I watch the wind, wait for the perfect time, then hit the area.

My last stand was perfect, but they refused to come out into the field. They were right there. However, if I don't have permission to hunt where they are, there's nothing I can do to move in, and have to wait for them to come onto the property. Most farmers here have 100-600 acre farms and that's it, and it never fails there's houses, roads, etcetera to deal with and fields that span 600 yards to a small patch of woods with houses or highways beyond them.

Hunting in the thick of the woods at night would be perfect, but it limits my vision to roughly 25 yards around me. I have really nice lights, but they just light up the under brush, which messes with my eyes. I tried night hunting in thick woods once. Had a coyote come in ten yards away and all I could see were eyes, and didn't want to shoot without 100% confirmation.

I've tried day hunting, but I've never heard a coyote howl during the day. So, I'm pretty much just hoping they're around when I set up.

So, it isn't that I don't know what to do, but there are a lot of limitations here. We have a great spot between two large college towns, but there's houses, highways, cows, etcera to hunt around. Makes it tough.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: GCTell me again how many coyotes you're killing?

Yep, I'm new, but that doesn't mean I don't communicate with long time hunters in this area. No one is calling in and dropping coyotes on a weekly basis here. There aren't enough coyotes for one, and they have more in their favor than any hunter does.

To the guy above that made a comment about 17 coyotes, good for you. I have never heard of anyone in my part of PA getting more than 2-3 off one piece of property, let alone seeing 17 coyotes in one vicinity. We don't have the populations here.

You guys can say what you want, but until you come here and hunt them, it's all moot.

EDIT: If I was the ONLY person making comments about how difficult hunting these animals are around here then I would say I'm doing something wrong. However, I've NEVER heard anyone say hunting NWPA or WV is "easy" or always "successful." There are way more there than you think. Just because you don't hear or see them doesn't mean they are not there. Well over half I kill, Or see don't make a sound.

coyotes rarely howl back during the day. 9 out of 10 times in the northeast they're coming in silent. Think about it. Why would a stealthy animal like a coyote howl at you, if he's already decided to respond to the call? you have to ditch the stupid fields that everyone's addicted to and go in after them. How many coyotes do you see prancing through open fields in Pa? You don't because the ones that did are dead.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkercoyotes rarely howl back during the day. 9 out of 10 times in the northeast they're coming in silent. Think about it. Why would a stealthy animal like a coyote howl at you, if he's already decided to respond to the call? you have to ditch the stupid fields that everyone's addicted to and go in after them. How many coyotes do you see prancing through open fields in Pa? You don't because the ones that did are dead.

Like I said, the coyotes I'm hunting are coming out in the open at night. Hunting the woods pretty much limits me to day time hunting, which I've had zero luck with.

Back