bullet and powder combo?

ohihunter2014

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a powder not shooting well with a certain bullet but another bullet shooting great?

both my savage 223 bolt guns like 55gr v max with benchmark and i have a lot of h322 and h335 laying around but cant seem to get them to match the 5 holes touching of benchmark. im wondering if switching bullets to say SP. fmj, nosler, speer, etc would make any difference?

I have a Ruger 22-250 that would not shoot 55 gr Hornady softpoints as well as I would like. I tried sierra #1365 55 gr sp
and they would cloverleaf at 100 yds. Just switched bullets no other changes.
My ar's like the hornadys.
Why?

Bullet choice can make a huge difference. Don't be afraid to buy a box or two of other brands. I like to be able to try a few different ones if it is not responding to my first choice.

Bearing surface and length are major factors between bullet performance.

Greg

Some bullets like alot of jump, others might like only 15k jump while others will only shoot good jammed or kissing the riflings.
Never know until you try.
Sometimes just changing primers makes all the difference.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanSome bullets like alot of jump, others might like only 15k jump while others will only shoot good jammed or kissing the riflings.
Never know until you try.
Sometimes just changing primers makes all the difference.

the gun loves the 55gr v max with benchmark but any other powder with the same bullet wont shoot well. its just touching the rifling with benchmark and will consistently put 5 shots all touching. h335 and h322 opens up with the same seat depth which is way below the book spec cause of short throat so guessing it doesn't like the powder. could it be the other powders have a different velocity and its messing with the 55gr v max?

The other powders have a different burn rate and the pressure curve so this will factor in to a yea or nae powder selection. Velocity could well be the same but getting it is a different set of pressure parameters. both in the case and in the barrel.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterBullet choice can make a huge difference. Don't be afraid to buy a box or two of other brands. I like to be able to try a few different ones if it is not responding to my first choice.

Bearing surface and length are major factors between bullet performance.

Greg

my first choice is great BM, cci450 and 55gr v max. throw the other powders in and its 5 shots in a 2-3 inch square sometimes larger. same combo with benchmark they all touch round #1. just trying to get rid of these 2-3lbs of powder without wasting the v max's. so your saying if i took a v max and it shot bad try another brand or type and it might shoot with the powders the v max wont shoot well with?

Yep. I've shot crap groups with XXX bullet swapped to YYY with the same powder and went from 1.5 to 0.5 immediately. It really is quite common. I guess that's why I have something like 20 different 308 bullets and in the 18 area maybe 4 brands.

Greg

When I first started chasing groups in my 223 I used any bullet thinking they all shot the same. I had bought a bunch of 55grn Hornady bulk bullets. I had fair groups at 200 yards but nothing great. They also weren't anchoring Coyotes like I wanted.

I was also using H335 at the time. I worked my loads up in the late fall and winter.

I was in Scheels one day and they had some Sierra Blitzking 55grn. I tried them in place of the Hornady bullets and it was like magic. My 200 yard groups went from about two and a half inches down to about an inch.

The next problem I had was when it warmed up in the spring my groups opened up considerably using the H335.

I switched to Benchmark and my groups closed up again and stayed that way no matter what the temperature is.

So powder and bullets make a huge difference.

Back