RRA 2 stage 3.5# varmint trigger.....Any good?

varminter .223

I need a trigger for the new 6.5x6.8 rig. I have a Geissele SD-E in my 22 Nosler so I am a bit spoiled but how are these RRA 3.5# varmint triggers. Will I not be happy? Buy once cry once and get another Geissele? I can't stand any creep.

Last edited:
I have a RRA Varmint trigger, it's a good trigger. You can find them for about $100 on ebay.

I also have a Geissele SSA-E and yes it's better. I got mine on Black Friday for $180.

If you shop around a bit you can usually find the RRA's for around 80 bucks. I have several and I love them. I normally put the JP yellow springs in them and it makes them even better.

I have a few of them as well. I am a two stage fan so they work for me, and honestly the value on these over stock triggers is what has me sold. I am sure there are better triggers out there, but for me a sub $100 trigger to get that much better performance is a no brainer for me.

Usually folks are mistakingly referring to the National Match trigger when they report changing the spring and $60-80 price.

The Varmint trigger costs a little more and I've never seen a report of anyone replacing the spring.

A lot of folks don't realize the National Match and Varmint are 2 different triggers. The difference is the pull weight and price.

I definitely have the Varmint triggers (not the national match) and have never paid more than 88.00 shipped. With the JP yellow springs they break at just under 3lbs. I have never had a light primer strike although I seldom shoot military surplus ammo.

I have both the SSA -E and the RRA Varmint trigger. Both are excellent triggers for their price range. Obviously, the SSA-E trigger has a better let off but is it really worth the extra money? For a hunting gun, I don't think so but that's me and I usually like to "cry once" and be done with it. The RRA trigger was put into a Jeep gun I built and it is more than adequate for what I use it for. The SSA-E is in a custom 6mm Fat Rat and although it is probably overkill as a coyote gun it is very nice when reaching out and shooting steel at longer distances.

Kevin

I have the RRA Varmint 2 stage in a couple rifles, not a bad trigger, but I do not care for the way Rock River divides the stage weights. I want my take up to be heavier than my break - grew up on Bushmaster NM 2 stages, then Geiselle's, so I'm spoiled by that design; heavy first, light break. The Rock River is backwards for me.

It's a great trigger, but for the same price, I'd rather have the Geiselle. Unfortunately, I have always purchased the Geiselle 2stage NM trigger, which costs over 2 times more than the Rock River. The RRA NM trigger is also a good trigger, very good for the money.

I've added JP yellow springs to my RRA NM and Varmint triggers, which lightens them even more, and I have NEVER had a light strike with either. It does take some doing to remove the disconnector's staked pin to replace the disconnector spring and lighten the 2nd stage, but it's well worth it.

I just got my first Geiselle G2S-E, paid $165 for it. I likely won't be buying any more RRA's after this. It's decidedly different than the Geis 2stage NM, definitely not on the same playing field, but for over $100 less, it's a VERY good trigger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Varminterror
I've added JP yellow springs to my RRA NM and Varmint triggers, which lightens them even more, and I have NEVER had a light strike with either. It does take some doing to remove the disconnector's staked pin to replace the disconnector spring and lighten the 2nd stage, but it's well worth it.

Varminterror, or anyone else with this experience, after adding the JP yellow springs to each the NM and the Varmint versions, is the Varmint still lighter or does the spring swap make them equal?

Looks like either version can be had for $88 shipped.

Back