Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16X42?

Pretty good at the price point...but I'd opt for the 4-12X40 Leupold VX-2. IMO, better image resolution, cleaner edges, easily better erector system and product support if you want to make any changes to the scope.

Had one of the Diamondback's I bought sight unseen. Quality-wise I liked it but couldn't focus with my eye. Sold it to a hunting buddy that said I was crazy and the scope was great. Sold it to him and bought a Vortex Viper with no eye focus issues. I've also got a vx3 and...according to my eye...both are comparable even in low light. My hunting buddy has used the Diamondback and killed deer with it and he's very pleased with it. My advice is find them in a store and look through them, not under the lights but look out the door around dusk and see what your eye likes.

I love the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40mm BDC. I have 3 of them and I'm about ready to get another one.
If your eye can't focus, they do have a fast focus eye piece that takes care of that. Out of the box mine was off. I have a cataract in my left eye and my right eye isn't exactly stellar. I cranked it about 3/4 of a turn and I was in perfect focus out to 300 yards. Once you get it set up at the range, it's game on. No AO or side focus to fiddle with. Start off on 4 power. If you need to crank up the magnification for a long shot, you can. I love the lack of "bells and whistles" The BDC is fantastic. Once you get it dialed in the clarity is fantastic! For the money you get some insanely clear glass with this scope!

Robert

I have the 4-12x40 on my AR as well, and love it too. The reticle is pretty spot on for my hand loads.

If you cannot get it to focus to your eye with the fast focus eyepiece, or your power ring is tight turn - or sometimes "sticks".....your rings are too tight and are putting the internals in a bind. Follow the torque specs and you should be good to go. If not, send it to Vortex and they will fix it.

I have that scope on my .300 blackout AR and find it very disappointing. The clarity isn't very good, it's not far from a clamshell Bushnell from Walmart when it comes to glass. The image just isn't sharp, the adjustments are OK and the side focus works fairly well. I think there are much better choices out there around the same price point.

I had two, switched over to Leupolds and couldn't be happier. For the prices you can get a VX2 and sometimes a VX3i at, I'd pass.

Back