Epic Hog Hunt Story to Match 6mm06s

SkyPup

Figured I would post this here in case you do not see it in the hog section as it contains every type of thermal gear Pan/Tilt weapon mounted helmet mounted hand scanners, NV gear helmet mounted weapon mounted, NV & Vis lasers, etc. to get this job done......

Two of us were setup in my UTV in my backyard watching the thermal screen from my remote FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt over an area I had baited with corn pipes where some large hogs were showing up. Both of us had suppressed SIG 716 .308s with FLIR thermals and 150 grain SPs.

Large Loner Boar Hog shows up out of dense woods into the open 75 yards in front of us, target with thermals and countdown 1,2,3....

I shoot and boar is knocked over with a loud WHACK when .308 pill hits him, however he gets back up and and is limping into a nearby dense jungle brush.

No shot from my buddy, his rifle missfired with a dud reloaded shell.

Get out and both of us search with helmet mounted FLIR M-24 thermals and FLIR XR hand scanners for an hour with no thermal signatures sighted.

Get back home at 4:30AM and crash.

After sunup, headed back out to canvass area to try to discover where the wounded boar bedded down for the night, figuring he would be dead.

Had my KAC-15 with Truijicon ACOG, BE Meyers MAWL dual beam laser on Green Vis, two magazines of 556 77gr SMKs, and my SIG P-226.

Hiked out into the dense brush and began transecting the area back and forth using the FLIR InstaAlert checking for heat signatures.

About to give it up after an hour of hiking back and forth in and out, when I stepped out of a thick bristle brush right on top of the hog bedded down 20 feet in front of me.

He got up and ran into even deeper thicker woods thicket with me getting off five quick shots at point blank range into his side and [beeep] as he disappeared again.

Circled the thick brush trying to see him with no joy for thirty minutes.

The sun was occluded and I was on the verge of getting lost in the dense woods but kept slowing walking around a dense thicket.

Suddenly he came charging out at me from 40 feet, with Green Laser on his head I shot him 10 times and he went down 25 feet from me.

Shot another five rounds into his neck to sever his spine and I finally had him dead at my feet.

Now I was a quarter mile or more deep in the woods pretty much almost lost as the morning sun was obliterated with dense clouds.

Tried to walk straight back out to forest grade to the ATV but that was impossible.

Somehow made it back out to the grade and hiked down to ATV and returned to my marked spot where I had come out.

Driving the ATV in there to get the hog was a nightmare and extremely difficult getting hung up everywhere and getting lost again.

Had to come back out to forest grade twice and reenter to try to find the dead hog where I had left him.

On the third try I finally saw him, roped him on the hitch and put in in 4WD to drag him out.

After overheating the ATV, finally made it out to the grade and headed a half mile back home in 1st gear 4WD.

Thank God for diesel engine power and tractor hydraulics as I finally got him winched up in the barn about noontime and he weighed 410 pounds on the scale, hams are 40 pounds each.

Went to brewery and got 300 pounds of ice and a case of freshly brewed suds and went to work on the beast......

This is my SIG 716 .308 I shot him with Elcan 1-6X, FLIR T-70:

SIG%20716.jpg

This is the area we were staked out in the mobile UTV hunting blind:

UTV%20IR.jpg

This is the same shot with the FLIR M-324 remote Pan/Tilt, he came out of the woods to the left:

FLIR.jpg

This is the bed he bedded down for the night in where I first jumped him and shot him again, you can see the blood in the dirt:

Hog%20Bed.jpg

Blood%20Trail.jpg

This is him where I finally put him down with the KAC-15 and MAWL Green Vis Laser:

Hog%20KAC15.jpg

Here is the ATV finally making it out to the forest grade road to head home:

ATV%20Hog.jpg

Here is the diesel powered hydraulics and mobile UTV hunting blind back at the house:

Hondini%20Tractor%20Hog.jpg

Here is the size of this dude's hoof:

Hoof%20Hand.jpg

Here is the beer factory where I picked up the 300 pounds of ice and cold brew for the butchering job:

Beer%20Factory.jpg

They do not mess around here, best [beeep] beer around:

Beer.jpg

Here is the scale once I got him strung up in the barn:

410%20Scale.jpg

Most amazing day I have had in a long long time......

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Man Skypup, that hog meant business with the charge and you meant business with all those rounds. Glad you got him stopped. What a monster.

Just goes to show that hunting doesn't always pan out like we hope for. Not all shots or recoveries are textbook. Sometimes it's just plain work. You certainly earned this one.

I must admit to being envious of your nice equipment - in a good way though.

Last year my son shot a rather small hog with his elephant boomer, the .375 H&H and with the 260 gr. Nosler Accubond. The hog ran like crazy with intestines hanging out and a pretty bad mess, but still managed to run a good ways. We blood tracked until it faded out. We spread out while searching and luckily one of the guys found it. I was amazed at how much stamina a hog can have.

Glad you found yours, and had a good cold one to celebrate the occasion.

I told my buddy about your recent Ga hunt and your son's .375, he got a good "kick" out of that but prolly not as much as your son did!

I really should have not gone out there alone by myself after this wounded hog, just fortunate nothing went down badly.

That boars entire body is raked and covered with tusk scars from fighting other boars, he had been in some massive fights. Sometimes at night when sitting out in the backyard I can hear them them sparring for 15-20 minutes, sounds like a herd of elephants in the woods.

Great story, was a really good read with a happy ending ! What a rush that must of been ! Very impressive hog especially that pic on the tractor. Congrats !!! Thanks for sharing !
thumbup.gif

Great write up skypup!
So what do you make out of a boar that big, mainly sausage? Aren't they pretty rank at that age and size?

Dang! Sounds like you need a 50 cal! Lol! That's a huge hog and great story; happy ending though about getting some freshly made craft beer.

Originally Posted By: IACC43Great write up skypup!
So what do you make out of a boar that big, mainly sausage? Aren't they pretty rank at that age and size?

We left the skin on the 40 lb hams for making prosciutto, by the time they dry out 18 months from now they will probably weigh half that.

The rest of the hog is going into a half dozen different sausage spice mixes.

Back