Night time tripod users

Excellent write-up and information Kyle. Thanks for taking the time. I know the coyotes were glad.
smile.gif

I'm assuming that you're asking about the MAX model for around $100.00.
It is not tall enough (48") for a standing tripod.
I have the original Deadshot model which can only be used while sitting.
I do not use it for predator hunting. The problem is that you have to be seated to use it. That means that you are very limited with it. It is not easy to pick it up and re position it for an animal that comes in at an angle that is awkward from a sitting position. I use it for ground hogs where I know where the hole is. It is very good for that. It would also be useful hunting from a blind. But a standing model tripod will be much more versatile for predator hunting.

Last edited:
I believe Varminter 223 may have mentioned he was using the Caldwell Magnum model tripod. If it wasn't him, it was someone recently who said that and really liked it. It will allow you to stand but seems to be fairly heavy at around 12 or 13 lbs., so might not be good for hunting where you have to carry it a long ways. I haven't seen one for a hundred bucks though.

Caldwell makes a good tripod in my oppinoin as long as your not walking that far. A buddy uses the 48" one and extended the legs using paint pole extensions I believe. Seems to work well and not quite as heavy as the full standing height one the make. I personally use a bog pod with the super steady top I think it's called. Made two risers to put under the yokes to raise it enough for my ar to fit in and then replaced the rear yoke with one I made out of a piece of pvc pipe that fits around the round part of my adjustable stock. It works well too for me. Is it as rock solid as a lot of the other tripods out there... nope. But it weighs 2 pounds, never worried bout my gun falling out of it and of all the coyotes I've missed I can't blame a single one on the tripod.

We use the Caldwell magnum field pod. They are a bit heavy but no biggie getting them a hundred or two from the truck. They are a very steady adjustable platform and for the money I don't think they can be beat. I would like to try the ball head, hog saddle set up but don't know where one is to check out. I picked up my Caldwell on sale at Sportsman guide for 132 shipped. Good thing I bought one for my buddy too because they sold out quick.

Last edited:
I used a bog pod most of season with a hog saddle. It worked great.

fnbg3d.jpg

For what you spend on a bog pod and used hog saddle, you could dang near have a Manfrotto. I think I had roughly $250 in my bog pod set up, and have $300 in my manfrotto.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad Baranouskashttp://www.kopfjagerindustries.com/online-store/Reaper-Rig-p71557157
I think you probably get what you pay for when it comes to tripod set ups, this set up looks pretty stable.

Been wondering about those SLIK tripods, years ago I thought they were a big money photography tripod in the day but at $100 they are the low end by today's standards. Not saying that's bad just how things change over the years. If you get one let us know what you think.

I hunt at night frequently standing up with a tripod, in fact I've started hunting standing up both day and night almost exclusively. I've tried Harris bipods, trigger sticks, bog pods, shooting sticks and none of them seemed perfect for me. I watched the videos "Orkan" made on YouTube about the Really Right Stuff tripods, leveling heads and ball heads. I liked the idea of being able to clamp my rifle in place for hands free use. I saved up and purchased the tripod and leveling head. I got the leveling head because I have a thermal scope but nothing to handheld scan with, so I walk a bit setup my tripod and scan with the rifle by walking around the tripod 360 degrees. The leveling head allows this type of panning where the ball head does not really cater to this, it will do it just not as simply. I have purchased so much crap over the years that didn't work for me and it's all sitting in the garage growing spider webs so I now subscribe to the "buy once cry once" philosophy.

IMG_1289_zpsptofjl9f.jpg

IMG_1293_zpskgz49xug.jpg

I went with a Triclawps($100) mounted to a ($50) Taurus Tripod... Im limited to about 300yards shots here and this setup works very well for that... For right at $150 I have a setup that I am confident in and simply just don't have to think about it... After using this Triclawps it really makes me question the need to spend $300 on a Hog saddle for our intended uses

Originally Posted By: Donkeynutzcare to share what equipment you have there?

It's kind of a play on words...

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Sport-Optic-and-Rifle

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresI hunt at night frequently standing up with a tripod, in fact I've started hunting standing up both day and night almost exclusively. I've tried Harris bipods, trigger sticks, bog pods, shooting sticks and none of them seemed perfect for me. I watched the videos "Orkan" made on YouTube about the Really Right Stuff tripods, leveling heads and ball heads. I liked the idea of being able to clamp my rifle in place for hands free use. I saved up and purchased the tripod and leveling head. I got the leveling head because I have a thermal scope but nothing to handheld scan with, so I walk a bit setup my tripod and scan with the rifle by walking around the tripod 360 degrees. The leveling head allows this type of panning where the ball head does not really cater to this, it will do it just not as simply. I have purchased so much crap over the years that didn't work for me and it's all sitting in the garage growing spider webs so I now subscribe to the "buy once cry once" philosophy.

Last edited:
Back