coyote place around las vegas?

I am from mainland China. I have never heard about any "normal" people could have a gun in Mainland. I guess only those who works for the government or super rich people can own a gun. So, as a student from average family, all my families have no idea and cant really help me to understand guns and hunting.I mean I already used to learn everything by myself. its not really hard now and days with internet. But I still think the best way to learn is from experienced people.
Sorry for my broken English, but I will definitely PM you if I have some confusions during my researching.
And, actually I just have the sportsmen's warehouse replied, at least for Nevada, I am able to buy rifle from them with all the documents they need include hunting license.

Originally Posted By: wangtufuI am from mainland China. I have never heard about any "normal" people could have a gun in Mainland. I guess only those who works for the government or super rich people can own a gun. So, as a student from average family, all my families have no idea and cant really help me to understand guns and hunting.I mean I already used to learn everything by myself. its not really hard now and days with internet. But I still think the best way to learn is from experienced people.
Sorry for my broken English, but I will definitely PM you if I have some confusions during my researching.
And, actually I just have the sportsmen's warehouse replied, at least for Nevada, I am able to buy rifle from them with all the documents they need include hunting license.

Good luck with your firearm purchase and hunting. You are in the right spot if you want to get into coyote hunting. There are many experienced/helpful people here.

Ignore the hurtful comments and understand they come from little children that 'look' like full grown men. They most likely have been picked on their whole lives and put their tail between thier legs while heading off into the sunset with a tortured sense of shame. That, or they most likely have inbred genes and just don't know any better. ;-)

Last edited:
FWIW, we do have exchange students & we do have a growing tourism of people from china in particular who come here to be able to shoot some actual guns. I don't see it unreasonable that this guy could be telling it straight & such a person is unlikely to "get" anything about hunting here, the concept of guarding your spots & such. So much about why we do what we do is cultural & if you haven't been exposed to the culture, you just don't know.

Newbies need people to take them under their wing & educate them, though all too often that just doesn't happen. I think it would be interesting if someone in the area was willing to meet him & take him calling for a morning & just see how it goes. Not to give up any hard found calling spots, just go out to public land & do some calling, show him the basics.

To Stu Farish

I guess thats what I am looking for...educational tour. As you said, hunting is a culture, there are lots of things there. Based on my understanding,I think shooting is just a small part of it. I really like to learn it all, other than just shoot and kill.

If I was in the area, I'd take you out. I'm not, but I know that we do have members around there.

Lacking that, if you can just meet some local hunters that would be willing to go out that can be a start. Most places out west have some sort of group that's about predator calling/hunting, you might want to look into that. Maybe you can find one that meets once a month or some such, go to a meeting & listen in.

Our annual convention will be in NV this fall, info in this sub-forum:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=100&page=1

You might consider attending, the guest speakers each evening are always interesting. Lots of people to meet, might find someone friendly & willing to take a newbie out.

Right now I think it's not likely that I'll be able to make it this time, but that's not certain yet.

To Stu Farish,
I will try to contact with the local hunters. And if I could get chance to the convention, I will.
Thanks for the informations.

Originally Posted By: wangtufuTo Stu Farish,
I will try to contact with the local hunters. And if I could get chance to the convention, I will.

I don't know the area, but plan on being there and would be happy to have you tag along for some hunting. We can go New Mexican AND Chinese on those Nevada coyotes!
grin.gif

Good for you for wanting to learn.

You are right. Shooting is a small part, something that has to be practiced so that it's fluid and second nature. Time at a range, and talking with someone that has a good understanding of shooting will help you learn faster. I would bet that there is a United States Marine going to school where you are. If they were in the infantry, they could be very helpful with the shooting.

one thing is to learn about shooting positions. I find that a lot of shooters don't take the time to learn how to position their bodies correctly.

For your purposed I would suggest a 5.56 caliber rifle. you can pick the model and there are a lot. I would also suggest a scope like a Nikon or Vortex. Since you are not going to be here forever, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on your rifle and scope. Getting those two working together and learning about "Trajectory" will assist.

Then learning all you can about what you are hunting will also pay off. The more you understand them, the better you will be at trying to predict their behavior. But, always remember that nothing is guaranteed with hunting. Hunting is very much like fishing. Practice, patience, perseverance.

Originally Posted By: huntschoolWhat gun is he going to sell or put in storage.... a day ago he had not acquired a firearm......

I really would like to unload here..... however, I am gonna keep my fingers quiet....

Lets not waste our time.....

The laws in your state are different than NV, don't blame a foreign student for the issues you have with the way your state is run. Read my post early in this thread and you will see the exact quote from ATF. with the link to their website. That is the law. The 4473 form has a provision for his situation and it's very clear on what to do on questions 11 and 12.
Out west we don't have politicians that make us get a firearms card like you do in IL. not his fault, it's your states choices and leadership. Replace them if you don't like the laws they have in place that make it tougher than the ATF requires.

And of course he will sell the rifle or give it to someone, that would be his choice. He will also have to be very careful when he goes home. Openly talking about shooting and hunting could earn him a trip to the re-education camps. At the very least a conversation with the authorities. They would make IL state officials seem like girl scouts in comparison.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: wangtufuTo Stu Farish,

I don't know the area, but plan on being there and would be happy to have you tag along for some hunting. We can go New Mexican AND Chinese on those Nevada coyotes!
grin.gif
There's no more dogs here....lol

TboneAz:

Just got off the phone with ATF office, St Louis, MO (not IL not that that has any thing to do with it) This info was located in the ATF hand book below the info you originally posted.

Spoke with both an agent and an investigator regarding this situation.

First he has entered the US as a student so that negates his being here just to hunt or shoot competition.... That really ends it right there. However, he can apply to ATF for exemption to this situation via a filing. This is the info that was located further along in the ATF handbook.

The LGS might better check with ATF before they do anything....

This is a very messy and grey situation..... but there it is...

Last edited:
if he just goes along to learn & doesn't carry a gun, he doesn't need any sort of hunting license & there are no issues about possessing a gun. it's possible for him to go along & observe without actually engaging in hunting.

FWIW, it would easy enough for someone in the area to meet him for coffee. Take a laptop & assuming he shows up, go over some videos like those Byron produced & explain what's going in as regards picking a stand, playing the wind, caller placement & such.

Here is straight from the ATF handbook.

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa possess a firearm or ammunition in the United States?

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business

Note there is a comma between "valid hunting license or permit" and "admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purpose". so as long as he's obtained a hunting licenses he can posses a firearm and not be here just for a hunt or shooting sport.

Wish I lived closer.

Last edited:
here is from the ATF Handbook on purchase. note second paragraph in the answer, mailing/home address and a resident hunting license/drivers license should qualify.

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa and who falls within an exception, purchase a firearm or ammunition in the United States?

A nonimmigrant alien without residency in any State may not purchase and take possession of a firearm. A nonimmigrant alien may only purchase a firearm through a licensee where the licensee arranges to have the firearm directly exported. A nonimmigrant alien who falls within an exception may, however, purchase and take possession of ammunition.

A nonimmigrant alien who has established residency in a State may purchase and take possession of a firearm from an unlicensed person, provided the buyer and seller are residents of the same State, and no other State or local law prohibits the transaction. A nonimmigrant alien with residency in a State may purchase a firearm from a licensee, provided the sale complies with all applicable laws and regulations.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(9); 27 CFR 478

Hey Wang, I hope this all works out for you. Either way, I'm very busy doing a bit of guiding right now. But I bet there's some fellas that would be willing to show you the "Ropes" out here! Regards, Drop, maybe PM Crapshoot?

AWS:

So, since this guy is here on a student (non immigrant) visa he can not purchase a firearm regardless..... and I assume NV like many other states does not allow students on student visas from out of country to establish residency in state.... this whole thing is over short of non hunting/shooting participation....

He can certainly participate without a gun...... I would say we have saved this fellow a lot of trouble...... by providing a great bit of information and research.

Last edited:
NV will allow him(limited term residency) to become a resident. Needs a unexpired passport, unexpired visa and two proof of residence.

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

Calling and talking to a ATF field office for clarification is like calling the IRS for income tax info, neither of them know the whole book and you get the individuals interpretation of the law. You need to hunt down everything by yourself and then get them to confirm it. I used to own a gun shop and have just gone through a 5 month deal with the ATF to import a set of shotgun barrels as a non-licensed importer. Asking the field office about it was near worthless as they don't deal with importation just enforcement. After 5 months of digging and redoing applications I have my import permit signed by the director of the ATF in hand.

If all else fails he can hunt with a bow, crossbow, muzzleloader or airgun.

Last edited:
Back