Best 30mm rings for CZ 527?

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
Who makes them? The factory rings are pretty tall, but I haven't had any quality issues with the 1" set that came with my rifle. Leupold makes a set, the 61666, but reviews on that one are pretty bad. Warne makes a medium height, the 14B1 or 14B1LM, but wondering about quality on those? Are they good rings? I plan to be mounting a fixed 6x SWFA SS with the 42 mm objective on it. I think mediums would work with that.

I know there are quite a few CZ-527 shooters on here, what are you guys using?

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXSearching the web I found this adapter that lets you use any picatinny style 30mm ring. Has anyone used it?

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585&CAT=3600

I have a set of med. Luepold rings on my 527 17 Hornet with a Burris 4.5-14x42 AO scope and it's about as low as I could get it.

I have the exact same scope on my 527 204 and I'm using that pic rail from DIP Inc with a set of Weaver low rings.

The good about using a pic rail is it gives you more options for rings and scope placement but the bad is, even with the lowest rings I could find which were the Weaver lows, the scope is still a little higher than it is on my 527 17 Hornet.

If you're using a 1in tube scope I think James Calhoon http://www.jamescalhoon.com/ makes the lowest rings you can get but he only makes them for 1in. diameter scope tubes so if you're mounting a 30mm tube scope the Leupold medium is about the lowest you can get.

The comb height on the CZ 527 is pretty low and even with my lowest setup on my 17 Hornet I have to lift up a little to see through the scope. I'm going to add an adjustable cheek piece to my 527's because I like a good tight cheek weld and I hate lifting up to see through the scope.

It will be for a 30 mm tube. My 9 year old daughter will be the main shooter on this rifle as well. With her being small we are already fighting the scope height issue thing, so lower is better.

With the comb being so low on these things I'd say some kind of cheek pad or better yet an adjustable cheek piece, is in your future.

Another option would be to order a different stock from Boyd's. They have models you can get with their adjustable cheek piece. The Ruger 77/17's have the same problem, very low comb height. My dad put a Boyd's stock with their adjustable cheek piece on his Ruger 77/17 HMR and it turned out really nice. Looks ten times better than it did with the factor stock and is shootable without lifting your head up off the stock.

I got to thinking after we were talking about the low comb height of the factory CZ stocks so instead of putting an adjustable height cheek piece on the factory wood stock I went ahead and ordered a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter in Coyote Lam. for one of my 527's. The RF Hunter is the only stock they have that has a high comb with no roll over cheek piece and isn't a thumbhole.

Warn rings are as strong as it gets.

I use split rings on all my rifles with dovetail bases.

My two 527's wear Warn med's....the 452 has Talleys but only because Warn doesn't make Gloss rings for 452's.

PS....there's a trick to mounting split rings.
Snug up the bottom screws first, then adjust the cross hairs....you might have to loosen em a tich to get it to rotate....then snug up everything. 20-25 IP is plenty.

Last edited:
I still haven't decided which route I am going to take on this rifle. I probably have it narrowed down to the Warne split rings or the DIP rail and Burris rings.

It's not a very good picture, but you can see here where I chopped the stock and added an adjustable buttplate to it for my daughter so that we can at least get the LOP right for her. That helped quite a bit but I still need to swap a couple more things around for her to really make it fit.

Well, I just ordered the Warne 14B1M. It says it should work with the 42 mm objective. Look forward to getting them in and trying them.

No problem, I will post some up. Rings say they shipped today, scope will probably ship tomorrow. I figure it will be next week when I get it all mounted up. In the meantime I need to re-bed it. Hopefully I won't have a bolt interference issue, if I do I guess I will deal with it at that point.

OK El Cazador, you wanted some pics, here they are.

This started life in 2007 as my play rifle. Once my daughter got old enough to move up from her 22 it kind of became hers. She has shot several deer with it, and lots of varmints. I kept trying to maintain dual possession it, but that really isn't working out. When the scope has eye relief set for me it doesn't work for her, and vice-versa.

I am starting to get her thinking about beginning long range shooting (she shoots real well out to 200 now. She is 9 years old). However, none of my LR rifles fit her. I decided it was time to set this rifle up specifically for her, hence the little rebuild it has gone through the last couple weeks. The fixed 6x SWFA has a good MIL reticle and will dial reliably. The plan is to shoot the 53 VMAX and let her shoot it as far as she feels like.

The rifle is CZ 527 American in 223, with both 3 and 5 round mags. Barrel has been chopped to 18" and threaded, it has an ASR muzzle brake and is shooting through a Specwar 556 K. The stock has been chopped and a heavily modified adjustable buttplate from David Tubb installed. When I did that I had to refinish the stock. I didn't like the round nose on the forend so I slash cut it at the same time to make it a little different.

I ended up with the Warne medium rings. I really like them and the way they fit. RePete's mounting advice was spot on, worked like a dream. Good thing I removed the bolt before I mounted it though. It didn't lack a whole bunch, but the bolt would not clear the ocular. Yesterday I put the bolt on the belt sander and shaved it down. Got it clearing good then smoothed it up nice and sprayed it in Graphite Black cerakote last night. Turned out pretty good for a trainer rifle I think.

Looks great! Thanks for posting pics, now I'm debating what height rings to get for my 527? Got to pick a scope as well. I'm definitely getting a SWFA, most likely the SS 3x15x42 mil/mil FFP.

Back