AR sling interferes with binos. Solution?

DiRTY DOG

My bino chest harness works great with a standard bolt rifle on my shoulder. But an AR strapped across my chest (2-pt or 3-pt sling) traps my binos under my AR.

What's the solution? I plan to start deer hunting with an AR and binos are a must. No stand hunting, all spot n stalk or slow walking.

Originally Posted By: crapshootRifle pack? A rifle pack isn't a solution for active deer hunting: spot n stalk etc.

I carry mine on my shoulder with the sling studs on the side of the float tube and stock so it sits sideways. This way the mag and grip aren't digging into your back.

I also use an AGC bino pack. I use a VTAC 2 point sling attached to the side of the stock and rail, and carry the rifle across my back muzzle down, but with the adjustments of the sling it's easy and fairly quick to get it around front of needed.

About the 1:20 mark of the video is how I carry mine.

If I end up carrying a back pack I can carry it like a bolt action on one shoulder since the sling is on the side. I prefer it across my back though.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGMy bino chest harness works great with a standard bolt rifle on my shoulder. But an AR strapped across my chest (2-pt or 3-pt sling) traps my binos under my AR.

What's the solution? I plan to start deer hunting with an AR and binos are a must. No stand hunting, all spot n stalk or slow walking.

This is a rig I made for stalking hogs at night with thermal. I hate wearing a helmet and I needed a free hand so I could track the hogs in my scanner while stalking.

I made it by combining 2 single point sling units with some aftermarket pads and just wear it like a standard single point sling. Once I get into a shooting position I lower my scanner and disconnect my tripod and release the legs of the Trigger Stick. Once it is set up I just swing my rifle up on it and I am in a shooting position very quickly with no noise and little movement.

If you use this just put it on first and then your bino rig. The tripod and gun with unbuckle easily when not needed. The tripod will rest under your left arm and behind you when stalking while your rifle is forward for quick shooting if needed.

4HAV6d7.jpg

BoKMNL8.jpg

Last edited:
Would it help to just carry you binos on your belt with a clip? Used to do that at 3d tournaments all the time.

I'm not much a fan of heavy crap on my belt. When I hunt I'm usually hiking 2-10 miles in remote and rough terrain where stuff on a belt clip will bounce around or get pulled off while climbing through chaparral brushy and manzanita etc. Everything goes in a daypack or it ends up lost.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI'm not much a fan of heavy crap on my belt. When I hunt I'm usually hiking 2-10 miles in remote and rough terrain where stuff on a belt clip will bounce around or get pulled off while climbing through chaparral brushy and manzanita etc. Everything goes in a daypack or it ends up lost.

I guess spot and stalk can be a relative term based on terrain and quarry. A 2-10 mile hike is a lot different than spot and stalk for me.....I usually have no more than 500 yards to cover if that.

At night I'm trying to get 30-40 yards from the hogs and stalking usually in pitch black dark so sound is a big factor. Having a free hand for my thermal is a necessity if I want to keep the hogs in sight so that's what my rig is designed for. I have done blind stalks in the dark and it's a little unnerving with 8 or 10 hogs in front of you.

Last edited:
Back