Bino harness - all the same?

wahoowad

Looking to get my binos out of my hunting pack and secured in a chest harness. Vortex and Nikon each have a basic harness on Amazon for around $20. Any difference between them or perhaps another harness I should look at?

Bought this Crooked Horn one from GM. Works really well and I think it was under $20. Don't use them often anymore because I bought a Vortex monocular and have been using that a lot. Easier to carry in the field but obviously you're not going to get the distance as you would with binos.

temporary pic upload

I've had the crooked horn bino harness. Way better than the neck strap. Switched to the Alaskan guide creations bino pack like the one posted above and like it a lot. Plus it protects your optics. I'd recommend buying direct from the designer. He's great to deal with. He sent me a pack without payment. Said if I liked it to mail him a check and if I didn't like it to just send it back.

Originally Posted By: AdamThttp://www.blackovis.com/alaska-guide-creations-x50-classic-max-bino-harness

Best gear purchase I've ever made. Carry my binoculars in the main pouch, rangefinder in the front pocket, cell phone on top flap, a few extra hand calls in the side pockets, drag and small flashlight in the bottom, and my ID and hunting license in the mesh pocket.

This. I love my AGC Snuggle Buddy. Bino in the main pouch, camera in the front pouch, and wind detection powder, lighter, hand call, and a few extra rounds in the small side pockets and elastic bands. I have FHF pouches on each side for my rangefinder and GPS.

You can see pictures of my rig in this post.

A chest pack is the way to go nowdays imo. I ran Crooked Horns for years but they have real limitations.
Ive tried several, but for me I like a minimalist approach. I use Kuiu's. Having said that, If I wanted to carry more stuff Id opt for Alaska Guide Creations.
Mark

All the same? Not even close, so do your research. I use the ones that Sportsman's Warehouse puts their name on. They work. One thing I will tell you is to consider a set that offers some protection to the eye cups. They get pretty dirty carrying them open on your chest and if it's snowing or raining it's worse. I picked up a Bino Bikini that is a slip off cover that works well.

If you are planning on only having Bino's at the ready on your chest, great.

Something to think about when picking something like this.

Could You use other things being that handy?

Do you have hand calls and a remote on a lanyard?

Do you have to cross, or crawl between barbwire?

I said yes to all of those. So for me it was about ease and comfort. I wanted something that i could put on and then go.

Those suspenders are great, very comfortable, but after adding a lanyard and bino's then i added a dog remote, I was running out of neck. Also over time the suspenders stretch out. Every time i crossed a fence something would get caught.

I used to be in the military and loved how everything was attached to my body armor and was easy to take on and off. Nothing hung down when going through a fence. I don't want to wear body armor, so i used some old surplus stuff and made a harness. I spent less than $40 on it, and added an elastic band around the waist so that no matter how many layers, it fit just right and didn't need adjustment.
I keep my bino's, gloves, remote, and hand calls in it or tied to it. very easy to slip on and off. When hunting i just leave it on all day, and it's fine. Bino's are easy to grab and look at something.

Hope you find something that works for your situation. Luckily there is no shortage of options.

Thanks guys. I went with a basic Nikon EasyCarry harness (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013TRVAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which works fine. I wanted the binos exposed and at the ready as I'm varmint hunting and constantly lifting them up to scan since. Getting old and fat means the your eyesight ain't what it used to be so I use them alot.

I already have a camo fanny pack I wear in the front for accessories. It's gay looking and I'm sure the manufacturer calls it something else. But it works.

The elastic $25 harnesses are fine and dandy, used one for many years like everyone else, but get yourself one of these and you will never look back. Mine is from Marsupial, but the previously mentioned AGC and a number of other brands work just as good.

Brian

JqSqeJw.jpg

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWLA chest pack is the way to go nowdays imo. I ran Crooked Horns for years but they have real limitations.
Ive tried several, but for me I like a minimalist approach. I use Kuiu's. Having said that, If I wanted to carry more stuff Id opt for Alaska Guide Creations.
Mark

^^^^^This

Having my old one give up the ghost I made my own using the bino case it came with and then adding shoulder and waist straps, similar to the one above. Been more than perfect for me and did not take long to sew it all up. Bino is protected vs the open sided one I had.

Back