Best shooting sticks

I have all kinds. Easton sticks are nice and that is what I use for the daytime. Just bought the Bog Pod standing tripod and gun mount to use for nighttime hunting.

Ive considered buying shooting sticks myself but I look at the prices and cringe. I decided to make my own. Graphite golf shafts and a piece of heater hose and some arrow inserts and tips are easy and cheap.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's what I use. Got mine and several sets I gave as gifts from Verne in person. The phone number I have for him doesn't work anymore though. AP Jones used to sell them too, but I heard a long time ago he doesn't have them anymore. I asked Cal when I was out there last year hunting with him and Scott and he told me Verne is still around though, so it might still be possible to track him down and get him to make a set.

- DAA

I got my Vern Howey sticks from Predator Pro Products in Arizona
Don't know if they still have them. I still like my homemade ones the best.

Primos is coming out with a gen 3 trigger stick. I have been waiting for them to fix the leg spreading issue on their bipods, and they finally did it. I pre ordered mine yesterday so when it arrives at the end of may I will let you all know how it works out.

Jon

In the pic is a Vanguard Quest T62U, Predator Sniper Styx, Bog Pod CLD-3 and a Primos Trigger Stick.

For accuracy, I like the Bog Pod. It's sturdy and easy to use.

For speed I like the trigger stick. It adjusts fast as lightening. It also comes in handy as a walking stick. Good for standing shots as well.

The Predator Styx are nice, but tend to sink in soft ground.

The Vanguard is nice. It turns into a bipod, monopod and is also obviously a tripod. I mounted my Foxpro CS24C on it and have been using my Bog Pod for shooting off of.

~ Bad Dawg

Good old thread...^^^Yes same here...Ive ran a lot of different bipods, and a tripod or two, and for all around calling I always come back to this type. Been making them since the 80's. They have their drawbacks, but they all do. They all have pros and cons...you just have to understand what you give up and what you gain with each style, then meet somewhere in the middle.

I love a Harris bipod, but even if they made one tall enough, Im not sure Id switch back. I lengthened the legs on my tall model and its good, but I hate having it attached to my rifle. Great when you are running both a shotgun and a rifle on stand though.

Bogpods are great as well.

I also like the Quad sticks that come back and hook onto the rear of the rifle to steady the side to side movement.

Mark

I've recently been using a set of the Gen2 Trigger Sticks (bipod). I love the operation and quickness that they offer, but they are a bit too long for use when sitting on flat ground. I think the Gen3's are supposed to have a bit shorter model. I might have to trade up.

I have gotten a lot of good use out of my Primos Pole Cat 25-62 bi-pod shooting sticks. They are still my go to after many years. Tough, light, dependable. I loved the idea of the Trigger Sticks but the Gen 2 allows the legs to wobble and spread and now one of the legs will sink down with my rifle on it. Primos won't warranty them out to the Gen 3, so I turned back to the Pole Cat and wished I had never fallen for the Trigger Stick.

I fell for the trigger stick Gen 3 tripod.but they are backordered. Nothing adjusts quicker on uneven ground. There is little even ground where I hunt. I have 3 sets of Gen 2's and a number of the Stoney Point bi pods (originals with the black rubber that does not split). I hope my adapters work on the new Trigger Stick that allow me to use the Bog Pod cradle on them like the Gen 2's.

I have a set of pole cats too. Probably the first shooting sticks I owned. I liked them and still have them, but the screw/nut holding the two legs together always gets loose, and they are wobbly.

Last edited:
I use primos gen 2 shooting sticks . They’re worth the money for sure. Light weight and fit well strapped to the side of my pack. I’d recommend them to anyone looking to buy vs build a set.

My favorite shooting sticks for awhile have been the Primos Rapid Pivot sticks (used to be Stoney Point Rapid Pivot).
You attach a "button" to your rifle (as many rifles as you want) via the sling stud, and when you're ready to call, the sticks snap onto the button. They allow you to move your rifle left, right, up, down, and everything in between. If a coyote pops up to the left or right, you're able to quickly reposition the rifle with the sticks because they're snapped together. After you blast the coyote, unsnap the stick, fold them together, shorten them, and store em.
We only hunt from Double Bull folding chairs so the sitting/kneeling height sticks are perfect for that. At least one of us will have a pair of prone rapid pivot sticks in our call bag in case the setup looks like we need to go prone.

Back