Baiting

Jay, I made several kills last year at 225 yds. or slightly better with the Photon 4.6xt and an 850nm T-20 IR light. I would say that is close to max although you might stretch it to 250 yds. The onboard IR is good for about 85-100 yds. IMHO.

Here is a video I shot 2 years ago. You can see that I could ID the coyote in the rain and he was beyond the 240 yd. stake. Unfortunately the tree was giving me a lot of IR feedback and so I wasn't able to use the full power. I missed the shot, but the deer standing in the field after the shot is at over 300 yds. and the coyote crossing back in front of him toward the end of the video. I think I was using a doubler on the scope at that time, but should be comparable to a Photon 6.5.

Last edited:

Baitpile,

As DoubleUp mentioned, he has taken coyotes at ranges that are about what you are looking at. Personally I haven't used it at any distance (hunting) further than the 87 yard hog. With a good IR light you should be able to get 150 yards anyway. My eyes aren't so good and I admit that is part of my problem with the scope not being as bright as others can see. I have a pigmentation leak in my right eye (shooting eye) and that limits me with such things.

6, Awesome camera work. Congratulations to you and your son on bagging some bacon. Those hogs were mighty big - a tailgate full for sure. I was amazed at how much greener things were down there as well.Any coyote sightings while on stand? Looked like a great trip and hunt.

Thanks Gobbler. It is indeed much greener there.

My son saw a coyote as he was walking out from a stand one morning but didn't get a shot. The guide said they worked the coyotes over pretty good down there last year with trapping. They take their deer hunting very seriously and have some really fine bucks there, so coyotes are not welcome.

BP, welcome here. I'm glad you brought up Photon questions. I believe I'm headed that direction as well. My situation is just the opposite -All my bait hunting is done by sound at close range. So, my question is how would you guys using or have used (6) the Photon 4.6 evaluate it's effectiveness for distances, say between 20 and 40 yards. Any problems with blurriness or anything like that? What may be some draw backs, if any, to using this particular scope at short range. Any and all feedback would be appreciated. GG

Last edited:
GG, here are problems I see with the Photon 4.6 for what you state you need. The FOV of the Photon 4.6 is only about 22 feet at 100 yds. so at 20 yds. your FOV is 5 feet and at 40 about 10 feet. That doesn't give you much leeway for finding a fast moving coyote at that close a range.

I'm assuming with them that close that you're hunting woods. IR feedback reflecting off any brush, trees, limbs, tall grass will be a problem that blinds you. Even cornfields with stubble standing are a problem from a sitting position.

If your shots are that close you should probably be using a shotgun and I don't think you can mount a Photon on a shotgun and have it hold up to the recoil.

Maybe I'm missing something here, so filling us in more on your terrain and weapon would be helpful. Sorry, I can't be more positive on your request.

DU, Wow! Only 5 to 10 ft...hum.
I do hunt the woods and bottoms with a R-15. No yotes to hunt here but lots of sneaky fox, coons, etc. Current setup is a gun mounted kill light, but sounds like the Photon would not work in my hunting arenas. Thanks for the information!

Gobbler, if you are hunting close places, like between 20 and 40 yards, you might want to take a look at the Armasight Vampire. It is 3x. I wouldn't have any problem bait hunting with it. It's the typical dedicated NV scope with the green view, but the new technology in this scope (and the Spark) are really good for a Gen 1 scope. I have both and like them.

The only issue I have at the moment (still working on it) is that at my 94 yard range I have difficulty in sighting the scope, maybe due to the small magnification, but also the 1/2" increment windage and elevation adjustments. At the ranges you are talking about I don't think you would have much of a problem.

If you are bait hunting at those close ranges, then I think the Vampire would work pretty good. It doesn't have a large field of view, but isn't bad. It does not have recording capability like the Photon does, however.

Just a thought to consider.

GG, have you considered a laser mounted on your rifle and a helmet mount for the Armasight Spark like 6mm mentioned. At those ranges of 20-40 yards you'll have great FOV with the Spark and the laser will put you on target instantly.

You guys are giving me some great considerations. Sorry, I'm "green" when it comes to all this high-tech stuff. I'll have to go on line and look these suggestions up and learn. Thanks for the homework assignments, I guess!? Lol.

GG, I know 6mm has a pretty affordable laser that should work at your designated ranges with no problem. He doesn't have his Spark helmet mounted, but I know he really likes it. Maybe somebody else has a better idea, but it seems the laser, Spark, and helmet mount is your most affordable and workable option. Of course a true Gen3 pvs-14 helmet mounted is the real deal, but would set you back some big dollars as well.

I believe you could also mount the laser on a shotgun if you choose to do so for those close ranges.

Last edited:
About batteries, the 12 volt solar chargers will add years to the life of a battery or at least let you get it's full life out of it. I use them on my feeders and generally don't have to mess with a battery hooked to one of the solar panels at all during the season. Definitely worth the $20.

Gobbler, what DoubleUp said about the Spark is a good idea. I did purchase a cheap laser and it would work well at close range. You would have to mount the Spark to your rifle or a helmet, but from what I have read, mounting to a helmet is tedious for the Spark. Armasight does have a rifle mount for it but it is not cheap at over $100. I tried to fashion my own mount and it worked, just crude and put the Spark too high to my liking.

Also, you have to be careful with the type of laser you get since some of them have a beam that is too bright and large. The small I tried one initially and it was way too big and bright to be of any use, but the smaller one I got works fine with the Spark. The Spark has short eye relief too.

One thing about the Spark is that on a bright night like we have had lately, I didn't need an illuminator to see. I could see well enough while waiting for hogs that I only needed the illuminator to look into the shadows. Of course, on dark nights you definitley need an illuminator.

Rick, I purchased a small solar panel not long ago in hopes of keeping my Sportsman's Guide battery pack fully charged. I leave the battery pack at the cabin but it runs down over time and I have to take it home to recharge it. I wired up the solar panel (which is a trickle charge type) to a charge controller and can't get it to work. Either there is something wrong with the controller, or the battery just doesn't put out enough power to make it work, not sure.

My question is, will a trickle charge solar panel hurt a battery that is left unused for lengthy periods of time?

Hi rickt300, also thinking the solar panel would work fine in the open or in the woods with no leaves. Once everything leafs out there would be a lack of sunshine issue.

I have batteries I have left on solar panels year around without issue. I set them up pointing to the south and at the sky. I don't think a solar panel will work with a controller as it really is just a trickle charger without enough charge to bring a discharged battery back to life. It is possible your solar panel isn't any good also 6.

Maybe a trickle solar panel might not work with a charge controller, but the larger solar panels need a controller to keep from an overcharge. I may just try to wire the solar panel directly to my battery and see how that goes.

Here is the one I have. It says "Thin film technology that works well in low-light, cloudy and overcast conditions." Don't know if it really does or if it's just marketing ploy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222382627957

Well folks, my baiting season is over til November. Got one pile cleaned up and the second will go to the beetles til about August. Now...what to do til Nov??? Back to the chipmunks and mowing the lawn I guess. Total of 7 off the pile this year...big fun. Got a couple of guns I need to get tuned up over the summer and regroup. May come up with some more innovations for next fall/winter...have to see. Great group and fun thread...Thanks Guys!!!!
J

Back