coyote place around las vegas?

wangtufu

hi everyone.
Just get my license this week.
Planing to start with coyote. need some hunt site where is good for coyote and close to las vegas.

Thinking about getting a 223 as started for coyote, any suggestion with 223?

Welcome,

But your question is strange.

Why did you buy a hunting license for hunting Coyotes in Nevada before you have a rifle in a state that doesn't require a license to hunt Coyotes?

I will also tell you that it's bad form to ask someone to give up their spots they hunt. It would be as if you have a favorite fishing spot, and telling everyone on the internet where it is.

Where have you hunted before?

I am a international student so I have to get a hunting license to be able to buy a gun.
I just have never hunted( totally 0 experience).
Maybe can PM the spot? Just want to start checking those place first. I guess I am still at least half year away from my actual hunting.
Gonna need some time to practice my shooting first.

There is a lot more to coyote hunting than just going out to a god spot and planning on shooting one.

That said just about any direction out of LV you will find coyotes. Learning where you can hunt legally is a little more difficult. Private land unless you have landowner permission is off limits. That leaves various state and federal lands that are mostly open. Public lands maps and a set of NV regs. are a must have.

Get a hold of the local game dept. for some tips. Order a couple of "how to" coyote hunting books will help you look for good spots.

Have fun, calling a coyote into your bootlaces is a rush.

I do not understand how a hunting license will help you buy a gun. Do you have a hunting license is not on the federal form when you buy a gun. Far as i know, if you are not a citizen you are not getting a gun. Furthermore, you have to be a resident of the state of NV or a state that will allow you to buy a firearm in NV. If you are here temporarily on a student visa, highly unlikely you can get a firearm.

You can get a bow and hunt coyote and jacks with that. You cannot get a hunting license in NV without taking the hunter safety course,and then either buy a non-resident tag or be a resident for 6 months.

Generally, within 2 hours a vegas the dogs are educated and hunted hard. Traveling beyond that may help you find some dumb dogs that will come to a call.

Thanks for the information. I guess I will double check the gun shop again. If I am able to purchase a gun.
Will try to drive further to check the dogs

I do believe that a foreign national may possess a firearm if they jump through the hoops otherwise there would be a lot of big game guides losing out on a lot of clients from out of the country. When you fill out a 4473, there is a section at the bottom for foreigners.

Now about BBQ dog. when I was living in china I had a few meals that they told me was made from dog meat. My favorite was a small sausage made from dog served with garlic greens, plum sauce and what looked like a small flour tortilla.

Out of curiosity I looked up the rules at the ATF.

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa possess a firearm or ammunition in the United States?

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-noni...nimmigrant-visa
apparently on the 4473 form questions 11 and 12 are where they would mark yes vs. no.

This answer was a bit strange.

Is a valid hunting license or permit as an exception to the firearms prohibitions on nonimmigrant aliens only valid in the State in which it was issued?

No. A valid, unexpired hunting license or permit from any State within the United States satisfies the hunting license exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition. The hunting license or permit does not have to be from the State where the nonimmigrant alien is purchasing the firearm.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/valid-hu...ant-aliens-only

So, If you have no hunting experience or shooting experience I would start with a Hunting saftey class, (basic class that kids take to learn about hunting saftey) most states have the material on line to review and read. The State fish and Game holds classes, and have rules about how to complete this class.

The next thing that you can do is look up Nevada predator hunting groups online and see when they are meeting and talk to them in person about what does and doesn't work out there.

The next thing is going to be practicing the shooting somewhere appropriate. (safe, like a range) You are going to want to be able to hit a 3" circle at 100yrds (try for better than that)

The other thing you are going to need to learn is how to "call" there are hand calls that you hold in your hand to make noise,(lots of guys here sell them, and they are really nice for $20-$40 each. Or an electronic call, that plays the sounds that will lure in a coyote.

I also suggest that you learn about the laws of that state that talk about the different species and "season" that you are allowed to shoot them. Coyotes are typically year round. But, Fox and Bobcats are not. Learning what they look like is a must before you go out there. A Grey Fox looks like a small coyote, but it's not the same.

I also saw that in Nevada, they may have laws that require you to have a trappers lic if you plan on doing anything with the Pelts. (read up on this) But, if you get ready and do the shooting practice and calling practice, by fall you should be good enough to start, and if you call a bobcat in, you want to make sure that you have all the requirements met to take that and keep it legally.
Don't know where you are from, but that could be a real prize for your hard work.

Hunting is harder than people will tell you. Coyotes may be "everywhere" but getting them to come to you and getting a shot on one that will kill it, isn't as easy as people will have you believe.

One way to find places to hunt, is to get a map, or online, look at google maps. look for non-privately owned land. Then you can go out there. look around, look for foot prints. Early in the morning, and at night, they will howl. you can howl at them and they will howl back, or play an old ambulance sound really loud and they will howl at that. That is how you know they are in the area.

Good luck. Be safe, don't shoot at anything unless you know what it is, and know what is behind it. (those bullets don't just stop)

Quote: such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes

So, I can they can become illegal when the license expires, unless they renew it. What do they do with the gun when the visa expires and/or they have to go back where they came from?

Where are you from wangtufu?

thank you for all the information! I'm contacting with sportsmens earhouse and they are helping contact their company compliance to make sure if I could purchase the gun. Then I would definitely do what you said, studying and practice enough.
I came from China where has already banned hunting for about 60 years. No one can teach me what I can do or what I need to learn. I have to do all the research and especially hard when English is not my first language.
But I would keep learning! Thank you again.

TBone-AZ, et. al

I have to wonder about the semantics of:

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purpose
I have had international students come to shoot for my team and they could bring their firearm into the US as long as we (the school) supplied conformation that the student was in fact shooting for the team. Also, when aliens travel to the US for major shooting competitions simular paprework is required of them confirming that they are in fact going to be shooting an event.

Now, the semantic part is "receiving or possessing"
in the upper quote. Neither of these words indicate "ownership via purchase"

This hunting license thing only indicates he may use a firearm in pursuit of game or sport, not that he can purchase a firearm.

I really don't think this person or troll can buy a gun in the US without being a US Citizen. If in fact he can...... some of us are really being treated badly.

Just some info and some thoughts......

Last edited:
I am checking with the compliance team from sportsmens warehouse. Will let you know the answer once I revived information from them.

Originally Posted By: huntschoolTBone-AZ, et. al

I have to wonder about the semantics of:

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purpose
I have had international students come to shoot for my team and they could bring their firearm into the US as long as we (the school) supplied conformation that the student was in fact shooting for the team. Also, when aliens travel to the US for major shooting competitions simular paprework is required of them confirming that they are in fact going to be shooting an event.

Now, the semantic part is "receiving or possessing"
in the upper quote. Neither of these words indicate "ownership via purchase"

This hunting license thing only indicates he may use a firearm in pursuit of game or sport, not that he can purchase a firearm.

I really don't think this person or troll can buy a gun in the US without being a US Citizen. If in fact he can...... some of us are really being treated badly.

Just some info and some thoughts......

I was thinking the same thing.
Possession and purchase are 2 different things.

What gun is he going to sell or put in storage.... a day ago he had not acquired a firearm......

I really would like to unload here..... however, I am gonna keep my fingers quiet....

Lets not waste our time.....

I think the guy is legit. So from this PM member a hearty "Ha Bu How". When you have no experience and are in a strange land with English as your second language just trying to reach out is difficult. Imagine what it would be like to it yourself and you have a hunting back ground.

Wangtufu are you from Taiwan or the mainland?

I spent a year and a half in Taiwan working with the ROC army and got to hunt all over the country and like you say hunting was almost extinct when I lived there in the 1960's. Each province was only allowed so many guns and the number was very small. If you owned a gun you were either very rich or a market hunter. You had to have your name on a list to buy a gun and it took a very long time to get to the top, long enough that there was a provision in the law to allow your son to take your place on the list if you died. The market hunters I used for guides would be shooting the most dilapidated old gear that barely stayed together. Ammunition for their shotgun was almost nonexistent and most handloaded their shotshells from powder and primers scavenged from the army.

I wish I lived closer and could help you more than just here on the net.

PM me with anything you might want to know and I'll try and help. There is a wealth of knowledge here but it is a tight bunch that worries a lot about encroaching liberalism that wants to do away with hunting here in this country too.

Back