221 fire ball ?

What this is called is "blowby" it is more common with revolvers that do not have the ammo matched to the cylinder chambers. In other words the bullet is say a .452 Dia with a chamber of .4545 in a Colt SAA 45 caliber for example. this allows "blowby" in the chambers. The other reason in a pistol is that the powder charge is too low for the bullet to obturate.
Since you are using a rifle, the possible reasons could be
1. the headspace
2. chamber was cut incorrect.

You could cerrosafe the barrel to tell you more,, or you could size a piece of brass, then place it in the chamber. try to feel for the tension. then begin to place a piece of paper between the brass and the bolt face. This will begin to tell you about the headspace. One piece of paper is good since you want a couple of thousands for the headspace. but if correct length, sized, brass is allowing say,,, 6 thickness of paper then headspace is wrong.
BTW just try to tape a piece of paper with cellophane tape, go slow so that you do not twist the tape off.
The load sounds good. You do not need to use magnum primers with that powder.

Lil Gun powder was designed by Hodgdon for the 410 shotgun. To me it has always been dirty. I use RE7 in my loads. I am not saying that this is the problem. Nor am I saying that a powder change will fix things. Just a comment about the powders and possible other choice for you.

If after you find out what is going on, and say for example all is good, then try neck sizing and then just seat the bullet with no neck tension at all. This is a Bench rest technique, that causes a tight fit in the chamber.
Note: They single load their rounds you might have to do the same when experimenting with this.
Good luck on getting this resolved.

Follow up : contacted CZ today and explained everything to them. The rifle was orginaly bought in 2010 but not fired or used at all until I shot it 4 days ago. The response was not great.
They said it was out of warranty and probably wont take care of the problem unless it is a head space problem . not happy but wont get too up set until They want me to pay for a failure on their part.
They are sending a shipping label to send it back- We'll see what happens

I splurged on a box of that Nosler Custom ammo when Midway had it on sale once; wanted to try out the Cooper "1/2 inch guarantee with premium factory ammo" on an M38 .221 Fireball (was actually pretty darned close to that @ 100 yards!) Shot it in two other Furballs since - including a CZ - with no such problem; never with any handloads, either.
Regarding oil from a new gun: I just bought a new 527 .22 Hornet, and I'm still wiping oil from the sides of the box magazine every time after it's inserted and removed. No burned cases, though.
Also fwiw, agree that a $40 investment in a Hornady OAL gauge and modified cases is worth every penny for reloading.

Last edited:
Back