2017 Georgia Hog Hunt

6mm06

Just got back yesterday from our 2017 Georgia hog hunt. We had a great time as usual.

We arrived in Georgia late on Thursday due to use getting turned around on driving directions. It was dark when we got there, maybe around 9:00 PM or so, but Dave (the guide) suggested that I sit in a stand for a while if I wasn't too tired, since two hogs had been regular visitors at the feeder. I was beat from the trip but not so much that I couldn't hunt for a while. Dave drove me part of the way to the stand and I walked the remaining 150 yards or so by headlamp (red) and got into the blind. I hadn't been there but maybe 30 minutes when the hog showed up. I was adjusting the IR light beam and Photon XT 6.5x digital NV scope when I saw it coming.

The .308 Bergara had a Leupold Vari-X 3, 4.5x14 scope on it when we arrived, but I quickly took it off and added the Photon. I have both set in quick detach rings and have experimented with changing them out at home and determined that zero would be maintained. The Leupold rings are Burris I think, but the Photon is set in Warne rings. The zero held and I dropped the hog on the spot with a neck shot. The Photon had the usual white-out for a second or two but quickly recovered.

The Barnes TTSX 130 gr. bullet from my Bergara .308 penetrated the neck and through the offside shoulder in classic performance, but to my amazement, lodged just underneath the skin. That's the first TSX I have ever recovered from any animal.

My son, Nelson also got a large boar with his elephant rifle of a CZ 550 in .375 H&H shooting 260 gr. Nosler Accubonds. Nelson has always like the big calibers and this one didn't disappoint. It was pleasing to see that big hog drop at 225 yards plus.

My hog with the Bergara .308 and Photon. The weighing scale was broken but this one and Nelson's boar were estimated at 200 pounds +

Feeder where I shot the hog, 87 yards. The end of the field looks short, but in reality it is 400 yards. The hog was between
the feeder and tree to the right of it when I dropped it.

The next morning, hoping for the really "big" hog to show up. I used my Sendero 7mm STW this time, but no luck.
I load a 140 gr. TSX in this one, with drop-dead performance on everything I have shot with it.

The blind I sat in the previous night where I got the hog, and hunted the same blind the next morning with the 7mm STW.

This is the blind where Nelson (my son) and I were sitting when he took his hog. The blind has windows on all four sides.
The front side faces the woods and feeders at only around 35 yards, and the rear view is along a sendero where he shot
the hog.

The front view from the blind.

The back view of the sendero. Notice the pine tree in the distant background. The hog was about even with that but in
the middle of the sendero, a 225 yard plus shot.

Nelson's .375 H&H Hog, shot at 225 yards plus. He used a 260 gr. Nosler Accubond that completely penetrated and broke both shoulders.

Here is the .308 bullet I collected from under the skin on the offside of the hog. The bullet hit the neck and penetrated the opposite
shoulder. I'm surprised it didn't exit. The bullet is a Barnes 130 gr. TTSX and is the only TSX bullet I have ever recovered.

Video of the hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiiXNDr_AQ&feature=youtu.be

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Very nice 6mm. Great pics and video. That 375 is a real boomer for sure. Beautiful expansion on that bullet from the 308.

I handload those Barnes .308 TSX in all my .308 and they are wicked at 3,000fps, although I have yet to recover one of them as they penetrate like nobodys business.

Very nice pics and great hunt, not often does the hunt end 30 minutes after you get setup!!!

Originally Posted By: SkyPup not often does the hunt end 30 minutes after you get setup!!!

That's for sure. I generally don't have that kind of luck. That's the kind my son normally has. Seems everything I get has to be earned the hard way. I was dog tired from the all-day trip, but ready to drop a hog, so that gave me encouragement, especially since a couple of boars had been regular customers at the feeder.

My son and I both were blessed with what we wanted. He had a desire to drop a hog with that big rifle, and I wanted to put the Photon, Bergara and TTSX bullet to the test. We both are pleased.

Luck would have only played a minor roll in this hunt. I know you guys and as much as possible would have accounted for to ensure a good result once something presented.
Well done lads on those huge hogs.

Don't go wearing out that STW before I get back there either.

Best regards to you both from down under.

Enjoyed the video, David. Excellent performance from that TSX out of your .308. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Vicfox, you gave my STW a good workout in Wyoming when you were here. You and that rifle got along pretty good. It still shoots good though and isn't worn out. LOL. Would love to have you visit again. Only problem is me saving enough to fund a hunt like we had last time.

Thanks HM. Glad you enjoyed and thanks for your good words.

Thanks for the video. It don't get much better than father and son enjoying a hunt together. Throw in a great hog for both and the icing is dripping off the cake. Super trip and all captured for replay. Very well done. CONGRATS to both of you!

Thanks Weekender. Nelson and I have had some great times hunting together over the years. I "raised him from a pup" and started him to shooting and hunting at an early age. We are close and I cherish it. He is a wonderful son and I'm proud of him, not to mention that he is a great shot.

Back