Use of semi-auto rifles in PA.

Those numbers about % is skewed.
They said they surveyed 4000 hunters out of 900k hunters and only 2000 did the survey.. 2000 out of 900,000..
Hunters was told that semis would be good for big game and many believed that and figured it was a shoe in and no need to voice opinion..
Also the ones surveyed did not know there would be a mag cap of 6 rounds.. So many of those who was asked presumed is my guess figured there be 30 round+ mags in big game season ..

Now if you want to see how many p!ssed off hunters there is about that BS liberal BS go to the PGC facebook page..
Also why wasn't there a vote on their facebook page??? Because semis for big game would be above the 64% and I believe that.. I just found this out today about how many people surveyed for that.. What a joke it was.. I am still pleased about the semis for small game and predators but a bit pssed off that they screwed us intentionally for big game.. Game change at last minute to change vote.. Dan

That's typical PGC tactics, Dan. I agree with you 100%. They skew facts to favor their agenda all the time. How did you like them hiring the deer biologist from Vermont or Maine (can't remember where they got him exactly). He then proceeded to drive around one small section of a WMU at night using FLIR. Counted how many deer he saw, then decided to double that number because he figured he didn't see the other half that was there. They were still in the woods instead of out in the fields. Turns his "scientific" study into a report and claims the deer heard is great in PA.

I personally was hoping they would limit the semis in PA to coyotes, I really don't have any opposition to semis for big game and have hunted with them in Maine. A pump can be cycled very fast, and I have also heard a flurry of shots many times over the years in PA that could only be from a pump.
Some are so worried about the semis, what about deer drives! Think of that, a full gang of 25 with about half on stand and the other half walking toward them, 6-8 deer go out between them and the shooting begins, sounds like a darn war going on!
Oh well, looks like my M1-A and 7400 "06" Carbine will be gathering dust for awhile, unless I decide to go back up to Maine!

I live in the largest forested area in PA, and each year i see firsthand the invasion of the orange army as hunters from all over the state arrive in this area for rifle season. It is truly impressive. If each and every one of them came armed with a semi automatic rifle I'd be fine with it. They're firing the same bullets as the bolt/pump/levergun guys.... they're not going to kill any more deer, they're not going to start killing each other, and the idiots who used to empty their magazine at a 250 yard running deer are still going to do just that. Having lived in an actual "war zone" i would never describe the sounds of rifle season as such, but there is certainly no shortage of gunshots.... they typically come as single shots, or aimed pairs, but there's sometimes the occasional cowboy out there who fires off their rifles full capacity (no offense to any cowboys out there) and that will never change. i truly don't believe that i would change anything about the way i hunt if everyone had a semi-auto, and i also believe that the residents of this area of the state are more affected by hunting seasons than most other areas. justifying the continued ban of very effective modern hunting weapons because they can fire bullets slightly faster than a 100 year old lever action rifle (and probably not really any faster with actual aimed fire) seems pretty silly to me, and leads me to believe that the never ending hysterical nonsense the left is constantly parroting is indeed shaping the opinions of many people in the state (which is the intended purpose for repeatedly parroting said nonsense.) so i'll hunt with my bolt action next year like i always have, unless it's a quiet Sunday when the sounds of gunfire are replaced with church bells, in which case i will slap a 30 round mag in the AR and commence bumpfiring at coyotes in the name of freedom

Originally Posted By: foxhoundThat's typical PGC tactics, Dan. I agree with you 100%. They skew facts to favor their agenda all the time. How did you like them hiring the deer biologist from Vermont or Maine (can't remember where they got him exactly). He then proceeded to drive around one small section of a WMU at night using FLIR. Counted how many deer he saw, then decided to double that number because he figured he didn't see the other half that was there. They were still in the woods instead of out in the fields. Turns his "scientific" study into a report and claims the deer heard is great in PA.

I used to think the deer herd was sparse, until I took up hunting coyotes. They're everywhere! It's just that they've survived too many missed shots to come out during the day time, during deer season. Ha-ha!

One night I swear there were over 50 deer in one 60 acre corn field. There were so many red eyes in the tree line I couldn't believe it.

The deer herd is what I call "fragmented" since the adoption of WMU'S. I'm sure youb have decent deer numbers in your area. I do as well. However, there are areas of the state where the numbers are drastically low. The northern tier (Potter county, Toga county) residents will strongly disagree with you about the herd size. I've spent a lot of time visiting that area. Mountain biking, fishing, hunting and camping. It's beautiful country. Used to see lots of deer on my adventures there. Not so any more. The herd has been reduced so low, that it's affected small business owners due to the lack of tourism (hunters coming to camp) dollars.

I also grew up hearing the barrage of shots as herds of deer ran across PA fields. I probably would've gotten a good verbal chewing out if I didn't participate in those glorious unloading of magazines to in those days. I have family that still rates their season by shots fired. Some people won't change. We fired no less shots at deer crossing fields with our 760's and 10 round mags and lever actions than they will with AR's and such. Except that they may actually hit less deer with the semi's, since they'll concentrate on firing more shots faster. Wounding turns into a "I HIT 'EM!" statement of pride with such mentalities....the weapon makes no real difference. At least now since the antler restrictions, and herd reduction, there's rarely more than three shots in a row in most places I hunt anymore. More like hunting and not so much a social meat gathering. And with all the posted land anymore, deer really dont get moved around so much anymore. Some peoples woods have browse lines a city park would be proud of. They must think they have their own little TX ranch now or something.

Shooters will shoot, and hunters will care more about the game and the placement of their shots. Semis wont change that one way or the other.

What most hunters dont understand, including those from PA, is that on the first day of rifle deer season we used to have somewhere around one hunter per 15 acres of huntable land....think about that. You could always look around and see orange.....29 million acres in the state divided by over one million hunters then.....a bit less so now.....and eliminate all the cities, towns, suburbs, safety zones around houses, etc., rivers, lakes, highways, posted land, etc., etc........it used to be crowded here....still cant go a day without running into other hunters in most places without getting up at 3 am and walking a few miles before daylite. We are soooo traditional and archaic with no real reason......but I do still like the forced simplicity of our flintlock only season! LOL!

Back