First Hog Hunt Planning

Brad W

Going on a hog hunt this summer in Texas. I am not entirely sure where the land is as it is family land of a friend. They do report having quite a few hogs and they want us to take out as many as possible.

I am looking for advice on how to approach this hunt and what sort of strategy to use.

As far as I know there are no feeders (they don't want the hogs) and the land is mixed woods and field with grazing cattle. They may not want us in the woods apparently as they are paranoid about a cow getting shot. I have hunted my entire life so this wouldn't happen either way but it is their land so I will follow their rules.

My understanding is that the hogs are more likley to be in the open in the early morning or late evening. Is this generally the case?

Any other tips and advice would be appreciated (scent, where to look, what to look for, etc).

Last edited:
Early morning or at dusk is the best time. However, I have shot hogs in the middle of the day too. Summertime in Texas is going to be hot. Look for water and then tracks or a wallow. Then sit and wait at dusk.Use a green light on your gun too.Lights them up better than red and doesn't seem to spook them. Sit on the water hole until you hear them coming in(and you will hear them coming in), light them up and shoot the biggest one below/behind the ear. Wait 15 minutes or so for the others to come back in and shoot another one. Keep that up until you're tired of shooting hogs or have more than you wanted to skin. I shot 14 one night over water down by Freer on a hot night doing that.
Two good flashlights and snake boots too.

Last edited:
I didn't even consider snakes! I am used to WI and KS so thanks for the heads up.

I will definitely scout for water. I hope we can use lights but I need to find out if they are willing to allow that since they don't know me and my friend is an inexperienced hunter. Thanks for the tips. They will help.

Last edited:
Do most of you use a scent cover? I was considering scentkiller but I don't have much experience with it as I never use it deer hunting or any other types of hunting.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm no professional hog hunter, I just go out to have fun (relax my mind) and help out my local ranchers and get some meat for the freezer, so that being said if I was doing what you are doing; I'd wear camo and scent cover, play the wind. They have good ears & smeller but their eye sight is poor.

My first hog hunt was in Oklahoma in 2010 and being from Iowa never hunted hogs, I wore camo from head to toe, scent cover, just prepared like a deer hunter but now leaving Iowa and being a Texan and I just have to walk out to go hunt hogs, I just wear my snake guards and bring bug spray with me. Make sure you bring plenty of ammo on you!

But all what Tommy said was great advice!

Thanks for the advice. I won't over think it but I will probably do the scent cover because it is pretty cheap and do some scouting the first day. Hopefully we find a water hole.

Any recommendations for snake gators? I found some cool military surplus "rubberized" gators. Will these do the trick or do we need ones designed for snakes? I've never had to deal with these critters so please excuse my ignorance haha.

These are the ones I use...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/FOREVERLAST-SNAKE-GUARD-CAMO-SHIELDS/1913640.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dsnake

Great advice from Jim & Tommy +1

I would add taking a little time to get to know your hosts before you head out. We Texans are friendly, but we want to know who we are dealing with. Building rapport with your hosts will pay huge dividends. You can ask them where they are seeing hogs and when, how many, etc. Where is the cattle or other farm animals. Where are the tanks (the Texan word for water hole). You really do not need cover scent because these hogs are used to human smell. I would take that money and get a ThermaCell or 2 with plenty of refills. Mosquito head net might make things more comfortable.
Hogs are unpredictable and do not run on a schedule. Be ready to hunt/shoot even if you are just scouting. I have walked up on hogs when squirrel hunting in the morning. Hunting at night might be the most productive over water. If your hosts allow, mix 40-50 lbs bag of corn with 1 packet of Raspberry Jello and 1 packet of Raspberry Koolaid (Great Value brand is good and less $$$), and spread it over a large 12 foot area and set up 80-120 yrds away. If you have some left over chicken, bacon or other fats, sprinkle them over the corn, the smellier the better.
I would use solids with a wide meplat on your handguns. Good luck, and let's see some pictures.

I will check out those snake guards. Probably best to buy the right thing and not surplus on this purchase.

As for LeadPoisonTX I appreciate the advice. I am always pretty friendly to new people and especially people doing me a favor! But the reminder is a good one to put in some extra effort making sure they are comfortable with us out there and know that we appreciate it. I do believe their son (my friends cousin) is joining us so that should also help. Thanks for the other tips as well. It should be a great trip as long as I can do my part behind the trigger haha.

Last edited:
Back