221 fire ball ?

pdhunter

I took out the 527 221 fire ball this morning . Thi rife was unfired.
After firing the 1st round I noticed the black down the side of the case and around the under side of the case head. when I shot my hand loads I saw it ther but not as bad.
These cases are factory loaded Nosler.
Can any on tell me whats going on ?
I have several other varmint rifles but none of them do this

Originally Posted By: BrassRatI have owned several Fireballs, both pistol and rifle - and none of them did that.

I've only had two and have not see that either. What could it be I wonder?

Check a couple New unfired rounds and a couple fired cases and compare the measurements with each other with a Hornady or Sinclair Head Space Gage ! If you don't have one you need one if your going to do any loading..

Originally Posted By: reddog964My thoughts would be Head space! easy enough to check also.

Headspace cannot cause those marks.

Neck size only and fire the same cases again? If head space the cases should fill the gap, unless the head spacing is really off? Lubrication from factory on a new rifle in this area? You did say rifle was unfired. Just throwing out ideas, never seen this before either. Rudy

I had something similar with my Fireball. I was using a Pac-nor pre-chambered barrel and Lapua brass. All of my brass looked like this with "mild" loads. Then I neck sized them all and loaded them hot with Lil'Gun and I've had no issues again.

DSC_0043_01_zps07f99f39.jpg

Originally Posted By: BR MarksmanI had something similar with my Fireball. I was using a Pac-nor pre-chambered barrel and Lapua brass. All of my brass looked like this with "mild" loads. Then I neck sized them all and loaded them hot with Lil'Gun and I've had no issues again.

DSC_0043_01_zps07f99f39.jpg

Did you take a picture of the primers on those same cases? Cant see them that great but they look pretty flat for a mild loads!!

one of my loads was 16 grs . lil gun and the primers were still rounded but still got the soot -
16 grs . max load according to Hornady

Originally Posted By: pdhunterone of my loads was 16 grs . lil gun and the primers were still rounded but still got the soot -
16 grs . max load according to Hornady

16 grains of Lil Gun with a 40 grain Vmax has long been a favorite of mine. Almost as if that was what the gun was made for.

Back