25 DTI waiting game begins

I should get my .25 DTI end of week or early next. I'll try and share some notes with you. I scored on some once fired federal brass that has already been through the .25 resizing die and Dillon 600. Gonna start with 75 vmax and H322.

There are a lot of good loads in the Reloading Section of this forum for the DTI's. Word of caution --- everyone seems to use SSA cases. You should check you Fed cases after forming to see how much h20 they hold. Simply weighing empty cases is not an accurate indicator. For instance, in my experience, the water capacity of Hornady cases versus SSA is 1.7 grains of water. SSA being the most capacity and having the hardest case head.

FYI and I don't know if others have tried this, but I used Remington 6.8 cases and they would not hold the bullet. Running fired (from a 6.8) Remington cases into the 25 DTI die did not size the neck enough to even put a slight drag on the neck expander (these cases are from 8 years ago). The neck thickness of the Remington 6.8 case is less than SSA or Hornady. The inside neck dimension of the Remington case was 0.257 inches. Not enough!!!!

I have pulled some Remington 6.8 FMJ bullets from the early factory cases and they were glued in with asphalt. Much the same as military ammo. Not sure if they are still that same way.

Bbsteel, nice and cant wait to hear about your loads. I saw the facebook post of the dtech shipping and new that meant min just moved up,a few steps on the ladder

Siringo, that sucks. I am realy surprised the neck thickness is that different.

The first batch of SSA i resized i did not anneal or champher, tried to seat an 85 gr speer hot core and the combination of how tight and the flat base put a heck of a ring and dent in the bullet neck. I champhered the others which helped a little.

I dont have a flaring die. I anealed the rest and will be curious how much that makes it easier. I am sure the sierras will seat easier with their boat tail.

Now all i need is the upper!

I have never had that problem with SSA cases. Do you have the expander plug in the FL die? I do chamfer my case mouths ever so slightly.

Yes i have th expander in the die. I did chamfer the mouth of the case, so surprised me too. Next set i will try to chamfer heavier and see if that helps

I've had mine for a week now and haven't shot it yet!! Too much going on at the moment. I'll start a new thread at some point....hope you don't mind this in yours!

IMG_2033_zpsnykljo47.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:[/quote]Originally Posted By: GREG OF PASiringo, that sucks. I am realy surprised the neck thickness is that different.

The first batch of SSA i resized i did not anneal or champher, tried to seat an 85 gr speer hot core and the combination of how tight and the flat base put a heck of a ring and dent in the bullet neck. I champhered the others which helped a little.

I dont have a flaring die. I anealed the rest and will be curious how much that makes it easier. I am sure the sierras will seat easier with their boat tail.
Strange quoting myself... but what the heck..

Today i pulled the 85gr that had the deep ring and tried a few things:
1) re-chamfered the neck... no improvement and even collapsed a few necks from the pressure. The seating die is not contacting the case in any way.
2) Annealed the case, still no better
3) Measured the expanding ball against my 25wssm one... exactly the same
4) used a nylon bore brush to scrub out the case neck and put some graphite powder. This made a huge difference.
5) then just used a nylon brush to clean a neck without the graphite, this also worked well.

Conclusion, must have been some residue on the inside of the neck causing it to hank up from new brass. Glad it is solved.

I have loaded up 90 gr Sierra, 87 gr Speer, and 100 gr Speer all with H4895.

Now all i need is the upper!

Last edited:
Christmas in May... it's here. Totally psyched... can't wait to shoot it now. Here is the new upper on my Colt 6920 lower. It is a 25dti caliber. It has a Shilen Select Match stainless medium contour fluted 18” barrel, Ni-Boron bolt/carrier, and Cerakote coated barrel.

I have 3 different types of bullets loaded to test groups.
Speer 87 gr over H4895
Speer 100 gr over H4895
Sierra 90 gr GK over H4895

D-Tech upper S.jpg

Originally Posted By: GREG OF PAWell between reading threads hear and shooting my friends... the 25 DTI bug bit me bad.

I think you should be out of friends real soon and I think the 25 DTI bit your friends worse...

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: GREG OF PAWell between reading threads hear and shooting my friends... the 25 DTI bug bit me bad.

I think you should be out of friends real soon and I think the 25 DTI bit your friends worse...

HA, now i see what i wrote... some friend I turned out to be!

Last edited:
Back