Suppressor effectiveness?

I do not have one personally, but I have several buddies that do and have shared many stands with them and used their guns etc.

They are awesome for many different reasons. I plan on getting one myself. Killing more coyotes is not one of the reasons I want one though. I kill just as many multiples as anyone with my high boom gun. Some coyotes turn inside out when you shoot a suppressed gun just like with an unsuppressed gun. Some dont notice the shot, just like with a high boom gun.

Lots more pleasant on your ears, and your buddies/dogs ears. Also you hear the meat report when you hit one, which is cool. You can shoot without hearing protection. These are reasons to have one, killing more coyotes is way down the list. Granted, most people that have went to the trouble and spent all the money want to think it helps with multiples. Well, of course they would.

Haven't shot any coyotes. Got it too late to use on coyotes. Next year. But sure is easy on the ears and can hear the hits even on gophers. COOOOOL! Rudy

I am sure it helped us kill more multiples this year, got a triple on my own. But like others say most still head for the hills after a shot.

But more than a few times I shot on the back side of a hill or opposite direction of another incoming coyote and then didn't even pick their head up. When my partners are only 75 yds away on a back side of a hill and can barely hear it I know it helps.

Plus it sounds cool, and I don't need ear protection.

Originally Posted By: gcsYou guys that use one, are you using subsonic rounds or regular high test?

You should post this up on the Suppressed Hunting forum, lot's of insight there.

i feel it helps me kill more coyotes on a stand, by not alerting the coyote my partner sees over the hill from me after i shoot on my side

Hands down it helps not only with getting more coyote's but follow up shots. Seeing impacts getting more shots off. Poor position shots hitting target, marksmanship and patience kills coyote's but a can reduces recoil and noise. Wich really helps thinking. And reduces stress.

I'm sure it helps a little it's really personally dependent on that individual animal, but like mentioned before no need for ear pro, it sounds awesome, and you instantly know wether you hit or missed the thud is loud lol.

To me there is no question. I shot 4 sets of doubles and a quad in January. Several of these stepped out of the brush within 20yrds of the first kill and were only 5 minutes apart if that. I shot a sounder of pigs and after every shot they all started to run in different directions and then stopped with every pig looking a different direction.

I have never experienced this type of success with an unsuppressed rifle.

Shooting suppressed doesn't help all the time, in every situation as far as increased shot opportunities. I still see plenty of coyotes turn inside out at the sound of a shot, even suppressed. But I am convinced it makes enough of a difference to be worthwhile. There have been numerous times I felt it got me an extra coyote or two.

There are lots of other benefits though besides just increased shot opportunities.

I never shoot subs. IMO subs are pretty worthless as a hunting round out past 100 yards. It can be done, but it takes pretty specialized gear and they have to be employed in a very specific manner at longer distances. Using subs would cut my numbers way down. My primary coyote load is full power 243 (87 VMAX) shooting through an Omega.

^^^^This. I've killed several multiples with and without. 80% of my multiples are with a shotgun. That includes 2 quads in the last two years.
Originally Posted By: btech29I do not have one personally, but I have several buddies that do and have shared many stands with them and used their guns etc.

They are awesome for many different reasons. I plan on getting one myself. Killing more coyotes is not one of the reasons I want one though. I kill just as many multiples as anyone with my high boom gun. Some coyotes turn inside out when you shoot a suppressed gun just like with an unsuppressed gun. Some dont notice the shot, just like with a high boom gun.

Lots more pleasant on your ears, and your buddies/dogs ears. Also you hear the meat report when you hit one, which is cool. You can shoot without hearing protection. These are reasons to have one, killing more coyotes is way down the list. Granted, most people that have went to the trouble and spent all the money want to think it helps with multiples. Well, of course they would.

Oh now Popps, Ive killed a dozen quads and 2 5's, all with an unsuppressed gun. I guess I got into some deaf coyotes?
cool.gif

Never killed six, that would be cool. I taught the grand wizard to kill like that.

Originally Posted By: btech29Oh now Popps, Ive killed a dozen quads and 2 5's, all with an unsuppressed gun. I guess I got into some deaf coyotes?
cool.gif

Never killed six, that would be cool. I taught the grand wizard to kill like that.

Yes, you are in the land of Deaf coyotes;-)

Aren't the Coyotes in Kansas as thick as flies in a feedlot?

I saw 5 one time!!

Quote: Ive killed a dozen quads and 2 5's, all with an unsuppressed gun. just think, with a suppressor you probably have 2 dozen quads and 4 5's killed by now.
tt2.gif

Quote:I taught the grand wizard to kill like that. then you woke up from your dream.
whistle.gif

Back