22 nosler 55 ballistic tip milk jug test

varminter .223

I wish I could post pics, but I just took video and carnage pics of 55 bt over 30 varget out of my 22" 22 nosler. Bullet blew up first jug and penetrated 2nd jug did not exit. I recovered 5.6 grains of lead and copper fragments from the second jug. 90% of the bullets weight did not make it past the first jug. I guess that is good. I would guess a milk jug is very similar to the density and thickness of a coyote.It would be interesting try try this with a piece of paneling of something similar to bone.

Last edited:
When i was working up a load in my RRA in 223 with those 55g nbts i had my target stapled to several layers of wood. I found the bases only. That seems to be all that stayed together going through that wood. I really like the way they blow up but yet they penatrate better than the vmaxs.

Did you ever find a Chronograph ?. I would like to know what velocity your getting, I am even willing to test it for you just send the upper .

Originally Posted By: killahogDid you ever find a Chronograph ?. I would like to know what velocity your getting, I am even willing to test it for you just send the upper .
The load I shot it with are about 3240. Factory nosler 55s are 3480. I will be speeding mine up a bit in the near future.

Back