Newbie in maine looking for help!

Rustyinmaine

New to PM and coyote hunting in general so, Hello everyone!
I have been out 6 times with no luck. Think I had one on other end of power line, caught a glimpse of streaking fur but don't really know what I am doing. Been hunting in the maine deer woods since I was a kid, So not new to the woods.
I don't know anyone that hunts coyote so looking to Google and forums for knowledge. Calls? How long to call? Cover scents? Camo? Set ups? Where (not hunting spots but typical areas to scout/hunt)? Rifle or shotgun?
Any info would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows someone that may be willing to mentor. I am a very respectful student and eager to learn. I have couple spots that have decent sign I would be willing to share in biddeford/saco for a quick lesson.
Thanks in advance and happy hunting, Rusty

We all call many that we never see, just have to keep at it and don't give up. Forget cover scents, keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back. Any camo will work, as will Carhart brown, more important is sitting still. Try farms, most farmers will gladly let you hunt, also around old beaver ponds,swamps,brushy cutovers, and anywhere that turkeys roost. Choice of gun will depend on where you hunt and expected range of shots. Try a few different distress calls and keep the volume down, they hear very well. I stay on stand at least 20 min, and sometimes an hour if the place feels right, and sometimes just sitting silent for 15 min after calling has paid off with a "sneaker". Lots of great info on this site, there is a group of Maine hunters that post here. Welcome, and one more time, DON'T GIVE UP !

FINALLY! Got one to come in yesterday evening right at dusk. Didn't get a shot due to shotgun only where I was and some fumbling by me. But holly crap that was exciting. Didn't come in from down wind but the side 50-60 yards over my shoulder. We both startled each other when I did finally see him and he wasn't sticking around for me to get my [beeep] together and swing my gun around a tree. I did find tracks in snow on my way out 40 yards down trail to truck that were not there coming in. Been out for the last 2 months on weekend trying and was getting very frustrated. I am more pumped now than at the beginning. Any ideas on how to get them in shotgun range. How quickly do they get "educated"?

I'd say its a bit educated, but if you didn't shoot, its just another human encounter, happens all the time. I would try a different sound from a different setup, maybe at a different time of day. When I see them I usually stop calling and go to lip squeaks to get them closer. Your pumped now, wait till your standing over a dead one ! Good luck !

I tend to give chasing them a rest come this time of year. I think they start to den up pretty good, the snow is melting every day which makes it harder as well. I am not far from Saco, over that way quite a bit in the summer/fall. Looking to do more hunting in Maine this year as it just seems the more ground you have the better chances increase. Definitely keep at it, the first one is total luck or a long time coming. Either way, each encounter will recharge the enthusiasm.

I'd be glad to give whatever advice I can, I've been skunked as many times as anyone here in maine, and so have learned to keep going. remember your mistakes as best you can. if you see what went wrong, which is not easy, but if you do then don't do it again or change it a bit. any questions? ask away
don

Last edited:
Dusk and Dawn are my fave times to call. I was always told that you have the vision advantage over the coyote. and if you can work the wind in your favor you will do well ... The easiest way to learn is making mistakes, but if you setup in an opening with good visibility you can watch there approach and you will learn a bunch from that .. If your hunting in the "small window area like a woods road, or power line , thickish woods, you will train more than you will shoot ...

Back