Need help picking out a new AR 15

CallingArkansas

I'm sure this will bring out a lot of opinions, but I need some guidance.

I had a Bushmaster Predator .223 cal with the Max 1 camo finish. It was a great shooting rifle straight out of the box and I killed many yotes, bobcats and fox with it. Problem is it was stolen. POS got caught and went to the pen but my AR was long gone. I received from the court a $2300 restitution check and I'm looking for a new rifle. The only thing I didn't like about the Bushmaster was it is heavy. I do a lot of run and gun calling and would like an AR that is less lbs. but still accurate.

I mainly hunt wooded areas and cow pastures so I'm not needing a really long range rifle, but the occasional 300+ yard shot does happen.

Been looking at RRA rifles and they have a lot of choices. I'm not someone who has a vast knowledge on ARs, I just like shooting them and think they make the perfect predator rifle for my style of hunting.

So can some of you give me suggestions on rifles? I like having at least a 50mm scope due to me hunting in cover and also drawing in the light. That adds weight, therefore another reason I want a lite weight rifle.

What about carbon fiber barrels on an AR? Is that an option?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
RRA makes quality guns. Have one of their R3's. Guaranteed 3/4" accuracy. Not to heavy. I lightened it up some by putting on a MI hand guard. Had them take off the muzzle brake. Don't need the extra noise they create and I live close enough I just went down to them and had them do it as it states they have to or it voids the warranty. Only one of theirs that has this I think. Plenty of guys have other different models that they speakhighly of. ATH is another 18" one I seen mentioned. X1 looks like the same rifle with FDE furniture and a bigger brake. I also have a couple of the older Remington R-15's (18") that are real shooters also. Plenty of good custom builders also but these 2 I have, have excellent accuracy (3/4" of better) and are reasonably priced. RRA also makes some 16" carbines that are even lighter yet. Guy I bought my RRA through also built me a 16" carbine that weighs 5.65 lbs. to use with one of my night vision scopes as they are heavy. The other sits on my R-15. He is ex military and makes commercial ammo for RRA and others and checks out rifles for them and builds his own. Nice guns at nice prices. Anyway, that's my input.

Last edited:
I do not see how a guy could not buy a RRA GUN. ONE OF THE FEW AR15 makers that guarantee moa 1 inch groups. if it does not do it keep sending it back till it does. at their cost. no brainer. marty

Mossberg MMR AR15 or Remington R15. I have had them both as well as the rra predator AR15.
I kept the MMR AR15 as it has always shot under 1" for me, just an accurate AR15. The rra was heavier than he other 2.

if it's for hunting I would go with a Remington R-15, 18" barrel, collapsible stock. It's just the right size and weight for a good hunting rig and not as pricey as the RRA's. I love RRA and have two, but my go to hunting rifle is the R-15 with a RRA 3.5lb varmint trigger. It shoots almost as well as the RRA's do.

Thanks guys. I really like what I see in the CA 15 in .223 Wylde, carbon fiber barrel, @ 5.8 lbs and Sub moa guarantee. It's drawback is 16" barrel and $2300 price tag. RRA and R.E.M. 15 keeps looking good.

I've got a 16 & 20" RRA coyote. I can get 1/2moa, don't get a lot better than that. With ADI Outback 55 gr. Sierra BK's (cheap) I can get 3/4moa. Trigger as is was ok but I but a RRA NM 2stage Varmint Trigger in it & all is awesome. Topped it with a Sightron SIII 6X24X50 LR-MOA-H made in Japan, moa hash marks, windage dots, 100 moa W&E, supreme clarity, ($699), no more you can ask for in a scope. My vote is a Coyote & put the rest of the $ in a great scope. TJMO (that's just my opinion)
Jim D
...................................................................................................
The 16" will be just fine to 300 yards.
JD

Ah [beeep], we didn't know you wanted to cash in the 401K to buy one, there are sooooo many choices in that price range there's not enough room here to list them all.

With that kind of money for a build you can build one heck of a rifle. If that's not an option, I would look at rra, and dtech to start. I have owned a couple rock rivers and never seen one that wasn't accurate. I have not owned a dtech but I have heard nothing but great things and he will build you something that suits YOUR needs and desires with great accuracy

Have a RRA with a 18" fluted barrel. Also had them remove the muzzle brake to saved some weight, and over all length. Will go under 1/2" with the right handloads (55 & 60gr flat base bullets). Put a light weight DNZ scope mount, and a 3x18x50mm Leupold scope on it, as it was about 4-8 oz lighter weight than other comparable scopes. Makes a real nice hunting and bench shooting rig.

X4 on the RR.. I have the ath model.. topped it with Nikon 4x16x50 prostaff 7.... we do a fair amount of night hunting and you can see very well with this glass for the money..
And rocks accuracy is outstanding even with factory ammo..

Here is what I chose:
Christensen Arms,
CA 15 3G
.223 Wylde cal.
Target Trigger
Titanium adjustable brake
18" Carbon Fiber Match Grade Barrel with matched upper,
Carbon Fiber Key Holed Hand Guard
Magpol stock
Topped with a Leupold VX 5 HD CDS, 3X15X44, illuminated fire dot plex reticle,
side focus parallex.
Total weight: 7.1 lbs