Berger VLD Hunting bullets

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAlmost hate to hear that. They shot terrible in my Tikka today.

They tend to like a 5 thou jam. Where were they seated? If you can't get them to work well, the hybrids are a bit less sensitive. I use the classic hunters in my wife's Rem 700, 243 Win with great results...and they were so dang easy to load for.

I absolutely love the 130 grain bergers for hunting big game. They are awful for prairie dogs and coyote's. They kill elk really well. I personally witnessed 5 elk killed with that bullet this year. All were DRT with the exception of one gut shot it lived to be eaten by wolves. Sad. Extremely accurate, I shoot Rockchucks with this bullet. I am really confident with it to an extremely long range. Don't want to get growled at for quoting the distance. I own a .260 that my wife shoots and I shoot a 6.5X47 Lapua. She has proven that a model 7 can make consistent hits with that bullet on an 8" plate on a windless moment at 1000 yards. Not every shot but extremely often for that distance. Love that bullet!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodogAlmost hate to hear that. They shot terrible in my Tikka today.

They tend to like a 5 thou jam. Where were they seated? If you can't get them to work well, the hybrids are a bit less sensitive. I use the classic hunters in my wife's Rem 700, 243 Win with great results...and they were so dang easy to load for.

They were seated pretty deep in the case and still were able to fit in the mag.I figure that may have something to do with it. I shoot a lot of Berger bullets but seems I can never get the VLD's to shoot.

That's the "draw back" of the 260 on most SA rifles. I would grab a box of hybrid and you'll likely make it with the mag restrictions.

I tried nearly a box of the 180's in my 7m Saum sendero. Never got a good group. Pulled the blind mag and opened it up and tieg welded it so I could load to 2.90 col for hunting. I checked the center 12 inches of bore and twist was 1/9.25 not a true 1/9. I have not tried the lighter vld, when you have a rifle that shoots cheap bullets great you expect a lot from premium components.

Bergers that I developed loads for take almost an entire box to accomplish the job. OCW test, then a depth test. But when it comes together, It's magic. 243 win, 7 mag, and 338 lapua. The wind deflating capabilities is astounding.
I never had any success util I annealed cases. Not sure if that was just a coincidence or not. I experienced stiff bolts and stuck brass in the chambers.

They have performed great for both my brother and me. We joke that to clean the deer we basically open and pour out everything, simply puts them down.

I was consistently getting around moa groups from my RRA 308 mid

I have used them and really like them. From a elk at 640yds. to steel at 1000yds shooting them out of a 6.5 saum. 130 gr is all I will use.

They sure know what they want for those. I'm switching everything over to hornadys. I used to rave about Bergers but I just can't get myself to pay almost double of what they want for some of the hornadys. I just started shooting the amax out of a 6creedmoor and now they discontinued those so now I have to start over.

Originally Posted By: devildoggThey sure know what they want for those. I'm switching everything over to hornadys. I used to rave about Bergers but I just can't get myself to pay almost double of what they want for some of the hornadys. I just started shooting the amax out of a 6creedmoor and now they discontinued those so now I have to start over.

I thought that the ELD-M was the same bullet with the new tip.

Back