What Brand Scope You Use - Poll

reb8600

Staff member
I thought I would throw this poll out there to see what the most popular brand of scope is here. Vote for the one you use most. Feel free to post some feed back on your scopes also.

Over the years I've owned a bunch of different ones. As I grew older and better understood quality versus the dollar. I finally commenced using and buying Leupolds. Ever so often I will still buy a bargain scope for some odd purpose, but the Leupolds go out the door with me when I am hunting. I recently stepped up and bought a Nightforce, WOW, super nice scope, lots of options, illuminated International Hunting Reticle IHR, great range of power 5x20. I am glad I did it, but for hunting I am still a Leupold fan at heart.

If I had to choose one brand it would be Leupold. Are they the best optic on the planet? No, but having said that my Mark 6 and Mark 8 scopes are as good as any I have ever used. Their non tactical lines give me everything I look for in a scope - lightweight, small footprint / size, good eye relief, good mechanicals and good glass. Another positive is their custom shop and the ability to send a scope in for reticle and turret upgrades.

There are many brands and they all make excellent scopes and I own many non Leupold scopes but I always look at Leupold first when needing a new scope. Too many choices sometimes. Times are good.

No favorite, i regularly use Weaver, Mueller, Alpen, Bushnell, Vortex and Leupold each does exactly what i ask of it and are the best bang for the buck at it's job IMO.

Not long ago I owned a variety of scope brands including Leupold, Zeiss, Trijicon, Bushnell, Nikon, and Vortex. All of those have been replaced with a Leupold with the exception being the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16. I would own another Trijicon, and I wouldn't pass a good deal on another Elite 6500, but as for the others, Leupold gets the nod pretty easily. My favorite of the Leupolds I own is th VX-3 LR 4.5-14 with a 30mm tube and side focus. I have 2 of those, one in 40mm and one in 50mm, and they're great.

On all of my hunting rifles from .223 to .505 I'm running Leupold scopes with illuminated reticles. High quality crystal clear glass coupled with that tiny red dot allows for extremely fast target acquisition particularly in heavy Timber or low light.

I have used everything from the old "K" Weavers (1960's) on...... Leupold has been my standard and likely will remain so..... However, I do like some of the European offerings. The clarity of glass is excellent even on some of their lower end stuff (dollar wise still not lower end) like the Zeiss Terra I have....

I think Nikon, is a good value as are several others of the "mid range" price level.

To each his own. Buy what you want for the job you intend to use it for and you should be happy....

When I was in my 20s, the scope I had on my little Marlin 60, was a 4 x 32 Tasco....until I exchanged it for a Simmons.

Over the years, on other rifles...such as the couple of NEF single-shots...and a few bolt actions...I have used Simmons and el-cheapo Leapers (once...on the SKS I had).

The calling rifle I have had the past decade & a half...a Stevens 200 in .223...has sported a 3 x 9 x 50 Simmons "Blazer" scope that I bought used for $25.
(I keep telling myself that one of these days, I am going to replace it with a Leopold or Nikon.)

When I had an AR, I had installed a Nikon Prostaff 5 3 x 9 x 40BDC.

Which Leopold's models are everybody fond of? I just did some searching and most of the Scopes have a 3x magnification range, as in a 3-9 power or 4-12 power. I realise everybody is different and maybe I'm just picky about my Scopes. But if I wanted a broader magnification range like a 3-18(which would be awesome) I would have to spend over 2k! That's not in my budget.

Originally Posted By: wargeWhich Leopold's models are everybody fond of? I just did some searching and most of the Scopes have a 3x magnification range, as in a 3-9 power or 4-12 power. I realise everybody is different and maybe I'm just picky about my Scopes. But if I wanted a broader magnification range like a 3-18(which would be awesome) I would have to spend over 2k! That's not in my budget.

I have found the new VX3i 3.5-10x40 to be a good solid general hunting scope, and can be had pretty reasonably. I have one on a 222 and another on a 270.

The VX-2 is a solid option also. I have a VX-2 3-9x40 with the German 4 reticle on my night hunting rifle.

My favorite for longer distance rifles would be the VX-3 LR 4.5-14 with 30mm tube and side focus. I have one in 50mm with the varmint hunter reticle on a 22-250 and a 40mm on a 243. I really like the varmint hunter reticle and I've thought about sending the 40mm in to have the reticle changed to it also.

You can get a VX-6 3-18x44 for less than 1k.

Back