25-45 sharps load data Help with 117gr Hornady Round nose

Good news Greg, the doc is removing the the bag and catheter tomorrow morn at 830, man those things are miserable! Wanted to ask ya, did the 117s reach 2500fps at all? I figured if we can get them up that fast or faster they would be equivalent to maybe the, 25-30! Am I correct that the sammi spec stated minimum case length can be 174"?

Thanks mike

That is great on the bag etc. Congratulations and thank goodness for time!!

Top was 2405 on the 117's but I saw zero pressures. Mine is an 18" tube. I did get the 117 down around 0.7 or so with the 117's and that is just great for those big old bricks. I know we can push them harder as I was in Never Never Land on these and doing a SWAG at the charge weights. Not that I am cautious or nothing but I am!! LOL Case length will be the same as a 223 so I run mine at 1.75 normally but the 1.74 would be fine on certain bullets if fighting ogive location.

Got all the spreadsheet data moved from LabRadar yesterday and today I am measuring groups. Now I will blend the numbers and come up with some group pics and my thoughts. I was evaluating the 22 Nosler 22 vs. the 22X6.8 vs. a hot NATO 556. The results are eye opening. 250+ rounds over a seven hour period generated lots of data..lol

Greg

Thats why I said, you the man! I can only sit upright for about 5 mins with this thing then I have to go lay down..gritting my teeth!
Will write more tomorrow.
thanks brother!

NICE.... and great timing .
Just seen this Thread & will be keeping a close eye on it, as I just threw a .25-45 sharps together last week .
got a pile of brass all finished sized & annealed ready to Load . Just waiting on big box of 87 grn speer to show-up the in the next few days to do some load work-up .
-
038_zpsi0dumqwg.jpg

-

Well all I can say is youre gonna really like this round, I built three 20" guns! One for my buddy, my wife and myself, will build one for my daughter next. Its an easy round to load for and shoots like a dream. What size barrel did you go with?

Mike

Originally Posted By: mesamikeWell all I can say is youre gonna really like this round, I built three 20" guns! One for my buddy, my wife and myself, will build one for my daughter next. Its an easy round to load for and shoots like a dream. What size barrel did you go with?

Mike
-
it just running a 16" length . I am going suppressed and also popped-on a SLR adjust gas block to help tune it better on the back-pressure and not bastardizing on Brass extraction to bad . I Just got the UPS box at Noontime with the 750 speer 87 grn. bulk-box, I will be doing some work-up this week .
. This Round obviously not going to be a big Velocity monster like a few others in the AR 15 platform . But the simplicity for fast Brass prep. and getting out fast and shooting is attractive side . plus it ( looks to be ? ) should have some decent impact energy even out a 16" barrel . It should be good to 200 yrd. Coyote shooter for nighttime platform .

The ease in Brass work-up is a BIG plus so far . Was easy work to whip-up a few hundred sized washed and annealed in a day . I have been Handloading for 30 years and done Neck-Up's & Down's with trimming and neck-turning ...etc. . plus in the .223 AR, I was/am married to the 30-221 Rem for many years even before it was a whisper/300blk . with several AR's & Boltactions . This .223 parent Case .25 is EasyPeezy & even way more easy going for getting up and going than the Blk-Out . plus I not going to give much about loosing Brass along the way because it cheep and plentiful .
It a shame this standardized .25-45 variant did not catch-on heavy when Sharps brought it out but I think it was thrown about the same time on the market against the 6.8spc and the then heavy market saturation push from AAC and Silvers for the 30 BLK . . Was just BAD TIMING for .25-Sharps .

Hey Greg hope youre having a great day!
Couple of things I want to mention. I ordered three asc stainless 223 10 round mags today, thanks for your advice brother! And when do do you think you will post your compilation on the test you did, Im really looking forward to it?

Mike

Originally Posted By: mesamikeHey Greg hope youre having a great day!
Couple of things I want to mention. I ordered three asc stainless 223 10 round mags today, thanks for your advice brother! And when do do you think you will post your compilation on the test you did, Im really looking forward to it?

Mike

I have everything crunched, transposed and posted on my target sheets. I will be doing some scanning and it will be up shortly. I got engrossed in the 22 Nosler comparison project yesterday..LOL The day I shot the 2545 I put over 20 rounds down range and that is a passel of targets.

greg

Thats great news, sorry for being a pest! I checked western load data for the 25-35 and if your getting 2400fps with a 18" tube thats better than they are getting with a 20", just wanted to mention that, and thats with the 117 rn!

Thanks Mike..

Well after many delays and working with some other rounds tested on the same day I finally have the numbers put together. Of course now you get to read some rambling before I serve up the main dish. I don’t like Me and Joe Went Shooting Formats nor do I like a bunch of colored charts with line diagrams all over the place though I can do either.

The rifle shot was an 18” upper build by Ritch’s Precision Guns using an 18” 25X45 3P barrel from Black hole. The lower was one that I use in my F-Class matches with the good Giselle HS Match trigger. All rounds were fired off a front pedestal and rear bag. I put a 24X Leupold target scope on the upper for the testing as removing my old eyes is always a good idea. Speeds were recorded by a LabRadar set up to give me muzzle velocity readings. The unit is quite nice as it is virtually unlimited in its shot string numbers and it lets me get shooting in about two minutes once I get my targets set up.

All cartridges shot were made up using Speer once fired nickled cases. Necking up was done with a 25X45 die, non-small based, from CH4D with a Hornady generic 25 caliber seater seating the bullets. No cases were crimped and CCI 450 primers were used in all loads. Powder dispensing was done via an RCBS Charge Master one at a time. COL was determined after checking the distance to lands. The barrel has a SAAMI chamber so the throat is quite generous and I was not in danger of jamming the lands at 2.300.

I selected three bullets to shot. The Hornady 87 SP, the Sierra 90 GK and the Hornady 117 RN were the choices for this trip. The 90’s were used for sighting in, the 87’s were handy and I had never shot one in that weight in my 25’s and the 117’s were, of course, the main focus for this exercise. Loading was straight forward with no surprises. The upper has an adjustable gas block so I was not concerned about reliability.

I did the initial sight settings using the Sierra 90’s. Seven rounds were put down range with a couple up close and then out to 100 yards. The velocity was nice at 2775 and the cases looked nice with no swipes or glaring primer problems. I got a three shot group at 100 that was not impressive but then a load done with by the WAG method rarely is.

Moving on to the 87’s I had decided to play with lengths of 2.260 and 2.2300. This bullet looks nice but I did note that SHARPS went for the SPEER version. I had no Speers locally in that pill and as I shoot a ton of the Hornady 87’s in my MM’s I figured it would give me some comparative velocities. I knew that BC would be lower in the 257 vs. the 243 but what the heck.

With AA 2200 my top speeds hit 2804 and with AA 2230 I managed a very respectable 2903. Both speeds were at 2.300 but they both had a 25.0 charge so that was a bit of cheating. Backed down to same same weight of 24.5 with both powders I had a 2772 with the AA 2200 at 2.260 and a measly 2771 at 2.300. The AA 2230 gave me a 2840 at 2.260 but when bumped up to 2.300 it pegged at 2869. Twenty nine FPS more for the longer length was noted. Across the board the 2230 was about 100 FPS faster than the 2200. I pretty much expected this as 2200 for me has rarely performed all that well with the heavier pills in my 24.

I found that with this bullet I was not getting any accuracy at all. I suspect there is something at work involving the length and the bearing surface. I know that others have shot 87’s with great results so I will lay this one at the feet of the ballistics gods. Speeds were fine but being fast and last doesn’t put meet in the freezer or Gold around my neck.

It was hot so I took a break after the 87’s were shot. At that point I had forty seven rounds down the tube. I debated cleaning but decided to let it all hang out for the next sixty rounds of the good stuff. A couple cold swigs of water and some beef jerky and jawing with the other shooters got me relaxed to carry on the testing.

The 117 RN bullets from Hornady look just like the old 30-30 rounds of my youth only smaller. Interestingly when seated to 2.260 they were right on the canneleur almost like they were designed for this cartridge. The 2.300’s were a tad in front of the case mouth but there is plenty of shank to work with on this one.

I stated out with the short AA 2200 loading at 21. And after the first five I was starting to look hard through the scope. It wasn’t bug holes but it sure looked better than the 87’s. Continuing on with these I was getting what I considered OK for the old world deer gun but nothing that got my long range juices flowing. I did get one load that was down at 0.785 and that one will get a reshoot on a later trip. I found speeds between the 2.260 and the2.300 were very close. I did bump the 2.300 to 23.0 and hit 2405. Not screaming but usable.

I had thirty rounds left using RL 7 and while I knew this one was a bit fast and would have like lighter bullets on top but I wanted to see. Speeds were not as high as the AA 2230 but that was expected. The first five looked good and I had hope that good things would show up. I shot the next two 2.160 groups and I was a happy camper. Speeds weren’t great but the cases showed virtually no pressures so maybe I can bump up. I followed these up with the 2.300 loads. This was a very interesting set of loadings. The extra 0.040 put the speeds lower but opened the groups. Less pressure at longer loadings was obvious thereby demonstrating the reverse bell curve of pressure vs. overall seating depth in relation to the lands. Even opened up the two lower loads would be devastating to any Minnesota whitetail or South Carolina hog.

This is a quick overall compilation on the various bullets and speeds.

The best group shot with AA2200 and the 117 Hornady.

The 117’s with RL 7 at 2.260. The faster it went the better it liked it.

The 117’s loaded longer at 2.300 using RL 7. Notice how the groups opened up by increasing the COL by 0.040.

Overall the test was very informative. I have my curiosity peeked now as I have multiple 90 grain hunting quality bullets I will be looking at this round. I want to look into the lighter varmint loads too so I can shoot a few PD’s this summer beside the 6X45 and see how it does. More time and testing will tell where the bug holes appear.

Greg

Outstanding my friend Im blown away with your report! What yardardage was the test conducted at? And also did you see any pressure signs and is there room to grow with this round velosity wise?
You sound like maybe youre around my age or older Ill be 60 in august..Im asking questions because I would like to make you a proposition, you see Im an inventor I already have one item on the market! This round has inspired me and I have an idea to add another step to the reloading process that would not only benefit this round but many others. I would like you to consider being a part of this project and need someone with your experience to go through the needed steps, I like the fact that youre local and meticulous with your research! Im going to build a prototype either way and you can be a part for a percentage of ownership. The only thing you would have to do is sign non- disclosure agreement before I present my concept to you to see if you would be interested or if its even viable. Anyway think about it and pm me if youre interested..if you decide to except this mission its totally on the up and up and sincere!

Mike

100 yards is the standard test distance for me. There was some room for more speed but going to a bit slower powders might be the easiest way to go.

Greg

Greg, I wrote you back and some of it screwed up because Im writing from a tablet but if you dont get it let me know and re pm in the morning..Mike

Hey Greg hope your having a good day!
Im shocked you were getting a respectable 2900fps on the 87 with only 25 grains of 2230, and a 18" tube! I believe Sharps posted 28.5 grains of 2230 for the 87 in a 20"tube! You think its because youre loading long (2.30)? Also the Hornady is actually longer than the Speer hot core.
Hornady 87 grn sp = .907
Speer 87 grn hot core sp = .845.5/10ths

I see you went to 22 grains of RL 7 on the 117 rn, thats pretty much a
compressed load..would you agree
so if thats true I guess thats it that powder! As for the 2200 reaching 2400 is repectable at 23 grns of 2200. My question is, were you being conservative at that load and plan to latter up towards 24 grns still?

Bearing surface makes a difference. I saw this in 50 VMAX vs. 50 Nosler in my 22X6.8 test.

The bullet seated out raised pressure hitting the lands earlier on the 117. AA2200 is a bit fast. I think some AA2520 would be a good one to try. I also feel RL 7 is far from ideal. QL showed it with viable pressure but something like RL 10 or RL 12 would be a good pair also. CFE 223 might be worth a shot.

I was conservative across the whole gamut. The BHWA barrels for me like it hot. The rifling drops pressures and many times I can stick my toe over the red line.

I haven't put this one back in the cosmoline. I,want a good 70 grain and 90 grain load just because I can. I'll shoot my 25X6.8 too for another yardstick for comparison.

Greg

Greg in your best opinion, would there be any pressure issues in the difference between shooting these loads in a 18" and 20" tube?

Mike

Originally Posted By: mesamikeGreg in your best opinion, would there be any pressure issues in the difference between shooting these loads in a 18" and 20" tube?

Mike

None whatsoever. Most of that pressure is right there on the chamber area. Pressure curves may be changed but peaks will not change appreciably.

Greg

Greg, I went on midwayusa this morning for giggles to see what they had for 25 bullets and saw they finally have the hornady ftx 110grn in stock! So I ordered a box of 100, their 23.00 a box on sale.
Been waiting for these for quite awhile...now Im excited!

Mike

Back