Conibear tips

rtaylor

Bought 2 bridger 120 last night to use on rabbits. I set both on the last notch that allows a wider stance to stand them up. I used apples for bait. Went and checked them this morning and one had been knocked over with the apples eaten without triggering the trap. I made sure both safety clips weren't set. What did I do wrong? Is there a trick to making them more sensitive?

Body grips are a poor choice for rabbits. raccoons, deer, dogs, fox will all investigate the apple. A standard cage or wooden box trap is for more effective when targeting rabbits.

I'm sure those methods are much better but this is inside my privacy fence where there should not be any other animals. The conibears were cheap and I thought it might be a good skill to learn.

Small conibears don't have enough reach to set with apple on the trigger. Make small brush cubby and set the apple in it and set the conibear in the entrance, cross stake it through the spring and betrween the top corners of the jaw so it can't tip overspread the triggers so they don't block the center of the opening. This set with apple works well for muskrats, with fish or meat bait for mink.

Try building a coni box and put the apples in the back of it. Also if you know anyone with rabbits put a little rabbit poop in the box after you build it. It will kind of take the edge off of the box because the rabbits think another rabbit has been there. Best rabbit lure is a wooden box trap that a rabbit has peed and pooped in for some reason it sure helps out.

The square cat litter plastic containers make an excellent box to place larger coniber traps like the 220, great for skunks and coon with bait placed in back of container

120s might be a bit small for rabbit with a baited trigger, 160 sized would be more preferable. I'll echo some others, a cubby set/ walk through set. Also you can staple, like fencing staple, the back jaw down to give it a reach out effect when firing. Just some thoughts that came to mind, a good 22 cal air rifle does good as well.

Back