hornady coyote BBs

I have tried to find a choke that will pattern well with them through my 870 and so far I have not. Inside of 35 yards it is barely OK with a mod, beyond that it got pretty bad.
I have tried imp cly, mod, full, and xfull and I gave up. I like the load, especially for foxes, but not the pattern. I went back to #4 buck.
Some guys say that they get good patterns but that has not been my experience.
And lately they have been pretty hard to find. None on the shelves locally in my area.

Last edited:
I planned on trying them to see if they would do well out of my new Mossberg, but read somewhere that the wads on them were an issue out of a ported barrel. I do have a box of the new Winchester BB. I'll post what I find.

Went to the range today to test coyote and turkey loads, and forgot the Hornaday and the Dead Coyote on my bench at home. I did bring the new Winchester Varmint X BB. At 30 yards from the turkey choke, which I believe is .690, there were only 11 pellets outside of a 12 inch circle, and most of them were close. It was pouring rain so I stayed under the covered range and didn't try longer range. I'm hoping the Hornaday shoots as tight.

I shoot Winchester Varmint X BB copper plated lead out of a Beretta A350 Xtrema and an Indian Creek .670 turkey choke. It uses the shot lock technology that is in their Longbeard turkey loads.

I've had pretty good luck with them inside 40 yards with my remmi versamax and modified choke. I've had complete pass threw's inside 30.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI have tried to find a choke that will pattern well with them through my 870 and so far I have not. Inside of 35 yards it is barely OK with a mod, beyond that it got pretty bad.
I have tried imp cly, mod, full, and xfull and I gave up. I like the load, especially for foxes, but not the pattern. I went back to #4 buck.
Some guys say that they get good patterns but that has not been my experience.
And lately they have been pretty hard to find. None on the shelves locally in my area.

same to all of the above with my 870

I just purchased a 870 today. I took it to my backyard range just before dark and fired a few shots. First shot at 40 yards had 9 hornady bb's in the top half of the paper plate. Since I didn't have a proper backboard it took a couple of shots for me to figure out my gun is shooting about a foot high at that range. Just at dark I took a quick shot at 25 yards and there wasn't much paper plate to hang on to. That was after I adjusted my aim with some kentucky windage. I was using a Remington turkey choke, x full. That last shot at 25 yards turned an old dresser drawer I used to hold the paper plates into a pile of lumber.
Earlier in the week I was patterning some #3 and #4 buckshot in a few of my guns. For what it is worth here are the results:

All shots at 40 yards, target was cardboard from frozen pizza (11 1/2 inches across).

20 gauge modified choke
FEDERAL #3 buck 2 3/4. 0 pellet hits several shots taken.
FEDERAL #3 buck 3 inch mag 0 pellet hits several shots taken.
WINCHESTER #3 buck 2 3/4. 4 pellets each shot several shots taken.

12 gauge Deerslayer open choke smooth barrel
REMINGTON 0 buckshot.2 3/4 2 pellets per shot
Cheap no name #4 buck 2 3/4. 4 pellets per shot
HORNADY #4 buck 2 3/4 with special wad. 4 pellets per shot

12 gauge 28 inch full choke
REMINGTON 2 3/4 0 buck. 3 pellets per shot
Cheap no name #4 buckshot. 4 pellets per shot
HORNADY #4 buckshot with special wad 6 pellets per shot

12 gauge single shot with really tight full choke (tight measured by experience rather than ruler)
HORNADY #4 buckshot with special wad. 7 pellets per shot

My conclusion: I needed to stop using guns with fixed chokes and get into a gun that could use tighter screw in chokes. There I bought the Remington 870. Any of my other gun were only good for 25 maybe 30 yards.

If I were you the first chokes I would try is a Trulock .708 improved mod, or a Kicks .708 improved mod. I have both and they both work well at different velocities. 870 with improved cylinder barrel works better than full choke barrel. #4 buck & #2 shot. Beyond 40 yards plan on multiple shots.

Back