unorthodox measures ~ trials & tribulations

I would buy a book or three Jeremy. Even if it included some of those alternative methods that might be frowned upon here (but are legal).

Wish you were a couple hours closer. I'm going to try and make a night run this week, may have to fly solo though.

You should be recording and watching Night Crew. You would really appreciate their style, methods, and outlook on the whole situation. One of the very few hunting shows I watch.

Thanks All..

Kent, I love that little suppressor too.. it's hard to carry it though, on the waist it is very long and when I make stands the barrel/suppressor sticks into the ground and sumtimes plugs with dirt...

Jeff, I have watched a couple episodes of night crew.. I have it set on DVR. I remember when they were on Carnivore a while back, I always liked Gary R's commentary on that show. Those guys on night crew are good I would never think you could call predators that close to a truck under that much light.. I would like to try hunting at night.. I am afraid I would be all thumbs..

Quote: Kent, I love that little suppressor too.. it's hard to carry it though, on the waist it is very long and when I make stands the barrel/suppressor sticks into the ground and sumtimes plugs with dirt...

Might think about a shoulder or chest holster something like they use to carry Contenders in, Jeremy.

Regards,
hm

22LR Suppressed are nice for a Quiet "Coup de Gras" on coyotes.
And for us Ga Rednecks that's "The Blow of DEATH".
And your right about a waist mounted suppressed weapon sticking in the Dirt,
I'm going to try a Leg Thigh Holster to see if that will help.

Last edited:
I didn't really notice the first time I checked out this thread, but your coyotes are really red compared to the ones around here. Ours are much lighter, more yellow and grey. We aren't that far apart but our coyotes sure are colored different.

Great post, I enjoyed reading it.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI didn't really notice the first time I checked out this thread, but your coyotes are really red compared to the ones around here. Ours are much lighter, more yellow and grey. We aren't that far apart but our coyotes sure are colored different.

They are really red... they don't look like that in AZ...
thumbdown.gif

I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I called this stand. Unorthodox measures, indeed. Fresh ears here because it is a spot no one thinks of calling. Also easy in, easy out.

I just pulled the truck up on the back side of this 20 foot tall cotton burr pile, put my calling machine on the other side of the pile from the truck, and then climbed up to the top of the pile. I sat/laid on the top of the back side of the pile with just the rifle and my head peeking over the top. Pretty much shooting off a benchrest. Plus you could feel the heat coming out of the decaying pile. Kind of like having a seat heater in your car, soft and warm.

Had two coyotes come in, but not a pair, 2 singles. One more dominant than the other. The close one was bristling up and marking his territory, the less dominant one circling way downwind of him. The dominant one got a 87 VMAX pill for his ailments. He is cured now. Folded like a cheap lawn chair at the shot.

Sorry, but no dead coyote picture. I didn't feel like crawling through the fence and walking 200 yards to go get him. I had other stands to make.

Man that looks downright cozy. When a guy gets to be my age it's prob best to avoid a spot like that. LOL, afraid I'd be takin a nap long before any coyote dirt nap. I imagine you're on the money about most guys not ever thinkin to take advantage of that particular high ground. Likely that pile will be there quite a while. There's at least one more that needs a lead pill next time.

Back