204 ruger ideas

000shock

Ive been reading on the forums quite a while now, but this is my first post! Love this site (as its very similar to jeepforum!) and found great info on here.

To business...been looking at a 204R bolt gun for prairie dogs and maybe coyotes. I really like the t/c models due to the 1:10 twist for heavier bullets. Living in western north dakota the extra weight will help against the wind out here. Cant decide between the venture predator ($570) and the compass ($370). For the price dif i could get a bit better glass. I like the camo and slightly heavier fluted barrol on the vp, but the 5 round mag and threaded barrol would be nice in the compass. Accuracy is guaranteed 1 moa with both.

Not reloading yet, but plan on it soon. Plan on loading 40-45g pills and the 1:10 twist is sure to stabilize them better than 1:12. Using less powder is one reason im looking at 204 vs 22-250. Also have my eye on a 243 for primary coyote use and poss deer in the future, yet another reason im not looking at 22-250.

So of the two T/C's which would you suggest and why? Or just bag the 1:10 and get a diff rifle with 1:12 twist? $600 is about top budget for the rifle right now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have the tc venture predator in 204. Right now I'm shooting factory 40gr pills and it has replaced my 243 as favorite calling rifle. It flat lays them out and is fur friendly. I got mine for $525 at LGS. Gonna reload some 35gr bergers and 39 sierras here in the near future to play with and see what it likes. There is my 2 cents. The only con I have for it is the 3rd mag.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleI have the tc venture predator in 204. Right now I'm shooting factory 40gr pills and it has replaced my 243 as favorite calling rifle. It flat lays them out and is fur friendly. I got mine for $525 at LGS. Gonna reload some 35gr bergers and 39 sierras here in the near future to play with and see what it likes. There is my 2 cents. The only con I have for it is the 3rd mag. Thats what i was hoping to hear! I also really wish they would have used a 5 round rotery mag like the compass. Is yours post recalls for the trigger/sear thing? That doesnt bother me quite as much as hearing about badly scarred chambers locking up brass after being fired. Something i should check before i buy either way i guess.

Keep them commin guys!

i have a 204 t/c venture. shoots everything very, very good.

i would not be one bit afraid to buy a compass. in fact i might.lol. for around $370 how can you go wrong.

also have a 204 tikka t3 lite. also very, very accurate rifle. it is a bit more refined than the t/c venture . but it does not shoot any better than the t/c.

please buy a compass, wring it out and report back. hows that for help?

If your planning on getting 2 rifles anyway get the 250 instead of the 204 and skip the 243, it can be hard on coyote hides and get a 7mm-08 for deer. Powder isn't that expensive. Savage makes a 250 with a 1 in 12 twist. I don't know much about the TCs. 250 will kill everything better than a 204 and the wind drift will be close to the same as a 204 with longer bullets in the 250 from the 1 in 12 twist. I'm not much of a 204 fan seen to many coyotes run off after being shot. The 7mm-08 is about the perfect short action none magnun round for deer and even elk when loaded with heavier bullets. But if your heart is set on a 204 go for it, it will do most of the time.

Originally Posted By: IdahoSawtoothIf your planning on getting 2 rifles anyway get the 250 instead of the 204 and skip the 243, it can be hard on coyote hides and get a 7mm-08 for deer. Powder isn't that expensive. Savage makes a 250 with a 1 in 12 twist. I don't know much about the TCs. 250 will kill everything better than a 204 and the wind drift will be close to the same as a 204 with longer bullets in the 250 from the 1 in 12 twist. I'm not much of a 204 fan seen to many coyotes run off after being shot. The 7mm-08 is about the perfect short action none magnun round for deer and even elk when loaded with heavier bullets. But if your heart is set on a 204 go for it, it will do most of the time. Thanks for the post. I really think i am set on the 204 because ill be using it on pdogs more than anything. i am a huge believer in savage too. I love my .17 btvss. Just looking for something a bit different and give other rifles a try i suppose. Ive shot a few 250's and i do like them, but id like to keep the critters in the scope the whole time if i can also. I have a couple 308's that i can use and will inherit at some point also. They will be my primary big gamers come time. 243 will be for deer every now and again and when the boys get a bit older.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti have a 204 t/c venture. shoots everything very, very good.

i would not be one bit afraid to buy a compass. in fact i might.lol. for around $370 how can you go wrong.

also have a 204 tikka t3 lite. also very, very accurate rifle. it is a bit more refined than the t/c venture . but it does not shoot any better than the t/c.

please buy a compass, wring it out and report back. hows that for help? haha...definately the most to the point help ive seen on any forum! Glad you like your tc also. Coworker of mine is a die hard sako fan and is appalled that anyone would consider anything else, to include tikka! Great rifle, but not so much for my budget.

I havent been able to fondle a compass yet. It have the hogue grip similar to the venture line or is it just molded plastic? I checked out the VP in 308 at a pawn shop and really liked it. If it would have been 204 it would be in the safe now!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 000shockOriginally Posted By: Rhett SteeleI have the tc venture predator in 204. Right now I'm shooting factory 40gr pills and it has replaced my 243 as favorite calling rifle. It flat lays them out and is fur friendly. I got mine for $525 at LGS. Gonna reload some 35gr bergers and 39 sierras here in the near future to play with and see what it likes. There is my 2 cents. The only con I have for it is the 3rd mag. Thats what i was hoping to hear! I also really wish they would have used a 5 round rotery mag like the compass. Is yours post recalls for the trigger/sear thing? That doesnt bother me quite as much as hearing about badly scarred chambers locking up brass after being fired. Something i should check before i buy either way i guess.

Keep them commin guys!
I don't know about the recall. I bought it last year so its a new one, I'm guessing it's post recall.

Not reloading yet, but plan on it soon. Plan on loading 40-45g pills and the 1:10 twist is sure to stabilize them better than 1:12. Using less powder is one reason im looking at 204 vs 22-250. Also have my eye on a 243 for primary coyote use and poss deer in the future, yet another reason im not looking at 22-250.

000shock, I would think the 1/12 twist would stabilize the 40 gr. Bullets better than the 1/10 twist. I have always been taught that the heavier the bullet the faster the twist needed.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47Quote:Not reloading yet, but plan on it soon. Plan on loading 40-45g pills and the 1:10 twist is sure to stabilize them better than 1:12. Using less powder is one reason im looking at 204 vs 22-250. Also have my eye on a 243 for primary coyote use and poss deer in the future, yet another reason im not looking at 22-250.

000shock, I would think the 1/12 twist would stabilize the 40 gr. Bullets better than the 1/10 twist. I have always been taught that the heavier the bullet the faster the twist needed.
1/10twist is faster twist then 1/12. 1/10 turns one full turn in 10 inches, 1/12 is 12 inches so in ten inches it spins it faster. Understand now.

Originally Posted By: MuckwaOriginally Posted By: yotekiller47Quote:Not reloading yet, but plan on it soon. Plan on loading 40-45g pills and the 1:10 twist is sure to stabilize them better than 1:12. Using less powder is one reason im looking at 204 vs 22-250. Also have my eye on a 243 for primary coyote use and poss deer in the future, yet another reason im not looking at 22-250.

1/10twist is faster twist then 1/12. 1/10 turns one full turn in 10 inches, 1/12 is 12 inches so in ten inches it spins it faster. Understand now. ^This

I have heard of guys having good accuracy with 40 gr vmax out of 1:12 twist, but its kind of hit and miss. Some are good, many just shoot open groups or even keyhole (so ive read). I really think a lot depends on your climate and location. Warm and dry, higher elevations should be ok really. Sea level, moist dense air, such as my home town outside of seattle...not so much!

Ive also been reading that its not so much the weight of the bullet that is the problem with stability, its the length. Both kind of go hand in hand i suppose, but either way you look at it a quicker twist (lower numarically) is more likely to shoot good groups with heavy bullets.

Im diggin the input guys. Thank you all! Still curious about the grip on the compass. LGS doesnt have one for me to check out but the pics online look like its molded vs hogue style pads. Hopefully i can find one in any cal just to molest a bit and see if i like it!

Just to throw monkey wrench your way, I shoot a T/C Dimension and have both a 204 and a 243 barrel for it. Both are 1X10. Both barrels are guaranteed .5 MOA and they will! I relaod and have two each pet loads for the 204 with 35 gr. bergers and 39 gr. Sierrias. But if you want to shoot factory loads the Remington 32's and 40's shoot lights out. So do the Hornadays. With these there is no need to re load. May cost a little more up front but you can buy new barrels and change to what ever caliber you want and will save money in the long run and have one heck of a good shooting rifle.

Just a thought!

Originally Posted By: fastfossilJust to throw monkey wrench your way, I shoot a T/C Dimension and have both a 204 and a 243 barrel for it. Both are 1X10. Both barrels are guaranteed .5 MOA and they will! I relaod and have two each pet loads for the 204 with 35 gr. bergers and 39 gr. Sierrias. But if you want to shoot factory loads the Remington 32's and 40's shoot lights out. So do the Hornadays. With these there is no need to re load. May cost a little more up front but you can buy new barrels and change to what ever caliber you want and will save money in the long run and have one heck of a good shooting rifle.

Just a thought!
Would you mind sharing you recipe for the 35 and 39 loads? I'm going to start rolling some here soon. Planning on using blc2 powder.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleI have the tc venture predator in 204. Right now I'm shooting factory 40gr pills and it has replaced my 243 as favorite calling rifle. It flat lays them out and is fur friendly. I got mine for $525 at LGS. Gonna reload some 35gr bergers and 39 sierras here in the near future to play with and see what it likes. There is my 2 cents. The only con I have for it is the 3rd mag.

Same setup here, and I am very happy with the gun and the round. I'm shooting 45 grain soft point Hornady ammo and haven't encountered any fur damage yet. I have heard (but not tested myself) that the polymer tips can splash and cause fur damage though.

I had a 204 in Thompson center. Accurate but I didn't like the bolt. Picked up a ruger American predator in 204. Shooting hornady 40gr. Extremely accurate and dumps coyotes. You can find them for $400.

Originally Posted By: tbamI had a 204 in Thompson center. Accurate but I didn't like the bolt. Picked up a ruger American predator in 204. Shooting hornady 40gr. Extremely accurate and dumps coyotes. You can find them for $400. This is the rifle im planning for in 243! I do really like reviews on it with exception to the stock. Prob switch out a boyds when time/$ allows.

Crazy busy with home projects and kids stuff, but ive been tryin to keep up. Also been reading now about guys having pretty good luck with hornady 45gr sp out of 1-12 twist. Anyone using this combo successfully? Looking at pics i didnt realize the 45 sp's were anywhere near as short as the hornady 40gr vmax, let alone slightly shorter!

Meh...been looking around on the hornady 45 sp's with a 1/12 barrol and they seem to be about as reliable as the 40's. Some work great, some suck. Prob gonna stick with TC that being the case.

Hard to go wrong with the T/C I own 2 T/C Ventures in 243 and 30-06. Both shoot .5 MOA right out of the box after break in with reloads. Super quality rifles with a lifetime warranty! Love them!
I would imagine the 204 Ruger would shoot just as well.
Robert

Last edited:
Ok, been putting a lot of thought into this and i think ive made the decision. If i have to order, im going to do the compass with a black burris predator 4.5-14x40 just to save some change. If i happen upon one, ill spring for the venture predator with the same scope only in camo. I think either way ill be really happy with the result. Sweet looking and feeling camo rifle that i paid a little bit more for, or plain jane black on black that saved me a couple big bills. Guess i cant really lose after all!

For prairie dogs it will be fine... if you are a coyote hunter you will eventually get some draggers and run offs. I was shooting the 40 grain Vmax out of my Browning A Bolt composite 204 and had groundhogs occasionally drag off and a few coyotes disappear after being shot behind the shoulder. So, I know shoot either a 22-250 or a 6 DTI in an AR Platform

Last edited:
Back