Coyote killingest AR 15 cartridge???????????????

Nice! I have a custom 6.8 SPC II and love it. Bought it to hunt pigs- haven't managed to shoot one with it yet but the coyotes have taken a beating.

What make of barrel do you have on that? I use Sierra 90's too and they really do the trick.

Originally Posted By: Niteyote1Nice! I have a custom 6.8 SPC II and love it. Bought it to hunt pigs- haven't managed to shoot one with it yet but the coyotes have taken a beating.

What make of barrel do you have on that? I use Sierra 90's too and they really do the trick.

The barrel is a stainless recon profile from Bison Armory. I think its an 1 / 11 twist. I can get my loads to go into .75 MOA pretty routine with it. I'm loading these Sierra 90's over 28.5 grains of RL-7 and getting just at 2800 FPS. I have some light swipes from time to time so haven't ever got around to trying to push them much harder with the RL-7. I've picked up some AA 2200 to try but haven't got to that yet either. I think I've had the powder for a couple of years.

Mine is a Bison too!
thumbup1.gif

18" Recon, 1:11 twist with a compensator, Magpul furniture and an ATN X-Sight II

Mine likes a 90 gr. Sierra over 30.5 gr. of H322. No pressure signs and it can shoot better than I can aim. First group was .234, center to center. I wrote Ben at Bison to thank him.

The latest thing I'm trying is Barnes 95 gr. TTSX with AA2200, want to see how they do but haven't been out yet. Ladder loaded from 27-29.5 grains and hope to find the sweet spot. I'll let you know how that does. Please let me know if you do any good with the 2200.

I also am running a Bison 16" Recon in 6.8spc. I bought it for a lightweight, fast handling dual purpose rifle for whitetail and something to completely flatten coyote. After many seasons, many deer and dozens and dozens of coyote, it has become my goto rig. It kills coyote like lightning, and it don't matter where the crosshairs are, it's going down. It's extremely close to my 243 with 105s in relation to anchoring coyote.

When I got it, I chose to start with the Sierra 110SGK and it is extremely accurate, affordable and kills very well.

The biggest weakness is low BC but 99% of my shots for a calling rifle is under 150 yards so trajectory is not a huge issue.

I have wanted to try the Barnes 95s and 85s but the SGKs just perform so well I haven't tried the Barnes.

With so much factory ammo and available components, I see ZERO reason to re invent the wheel.

Last edited:
Liking this thread as I have a 6.8 SPCII IWT upper en route with 16" ARP 3R match chambered barrel. Looking for a lighter, harder hitting coyote hammer and a deer/hog caliber in AR. No real complaints with my Rock River Predator Pursuit .223 other than weight and length with the can on it. It's a tack driver and I'm pretty finacky about accuracy so I hope the Ironworks and ARP combo live up to their reputations. Have reloading supplies waiting in the wings and a bunch of Hornady V-max and S&B PTS to use on coyotes and plinking to generate brass for the Rock Chucker
smile.gif

Hardest hitting coyote killer AR 15 that I have ever owned was a 25 DTI with an 18 inch barrel shooting 70 grain Sierra BlitzKings at a bit over 3.000 fps. I sold it in search of a smaller dia. bullet going faster. What a mistake. Wish I would have kept the 25 DTI.

You mean to tell me that our military is using .223 (essentially) to shoot people and the same round isn't effective on a coyote? Come on, guys.... And if the 'yote runs off, that's fine - he's a dead coyote and that's all that matters in my neck of the woods at least.

I had this issue in 2013, I was shooting a 6rat,with 95 smk's and 105 bergers. It killed coyotes well, but follow up shots weren't there for me. I was dumping 1$ brass in the sage and worrying about it. Recoil was enough to knock me out of the shot because of a soft hold at an odd angle. Now I lost my target and my brass was difficult to find. I lost my target often enough that I looked for other options. I had put together a Mach4 in 2010 in a Shilen 1-9 twist. Brass was homemade and way cheaper than Lapua. Viola"! with a 30 grain bullet Todd Kindler's this was a deadly setup. I am not trying to make you change direction on your project. I just wanted to say there is another option if it doesn't work for you. Not the Mach 4 but perhaps the faster 17's or 20's. I don't gain anything shooting a 6x47 lapua, for solid anchoring. Less than perfect hits with a bigger cartridge don't always give you better results. I think poor hits with a 17 result in more coyotes recovered with the right bullets. I get to shoot lot's of coyotes by virtue of living in dumb coyote country. And my favorite day in and day out are the 17's. I lost one hit solid with a 7stw. 140 grain Berger lung punched. I was looking for elk. Found it on the following weekend I shot an elk up there. I was going to see if there was a bear near the carcass. I hope your project works out for you. If not you have other options. 17's are more fun to shoot. They will not double as a deer rifle.

Back