6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 47 Lapua?

The Creedmoor has the powder capacity advantage. Both are seriously accurate and run neck and neck. You can get good brass for both. If you ran a Creedmoor with a 20" barrel and a 6.5x47 lapua with a 22" it would be a wash. The advantage to the Creedmoor is ammo is available off the shelf. You would be hard pressed to find the 6.5x47 Lapua on a shelf in most locations. My 6.5x47 Lapua is the most forgiving cartridge I have ever shot. The wind drift of the 6.5's is unreal. Having said that I had mine custom made. Creedmoor's are available in numerous configurations. It is so popular that it is being chambered along with the 308 in new rifles like the Savage Tube gun. That says a lot!

I went back and forth and chose the Lapua for two reasons. One, its shorter. Two, less powder means it's easier to shoot. I don't care how small the difference in recoil is, it's there and worth another couple of clicks.

Flip a coin, just make sure it ends L side up!
wink.gif

I would do the creed. I have a 6x47l and a 6 creed and the 6.5x47l and like has been said they are about a wash. But the brass is much less expensive for the creed and there are more than one maker for the brass and off the shelf ammo is readily available. And lapua is now making brass for the creed now which would make the lapua round even less desirable for me. And that is coming from a guy who has done nothing but praise that lapua round for quite a few years!!!

I run them both and can tell you, the difference not going to be noticeable. The x47L does it with a bit less powder, but IME both are inherently easy to load for and accurate.

....just pick one.

It is really cool when you can't go wrong. I have the Lapua, love it. you won't be disappointed but it is truly a wash. Stupid accurate, don't insult the cartridge by shooting close. 300 yds is too close! The caliber creates confidence.

My latest rifle I put a 26" Shilen in 6.5 CM on it. I actually did flip a coin... 2 out of 3... lol. I'm not sure I would do it again though... Rifle holds .2 - .3 moa... with several loads and is much more fun to shoot than a .308. But good golly trying to find dies and brass was a PIA and not cheap.... I ended up buying Lapua brass now anyway so that's a wash.... I've been out of shooting the past few years and had no idea that literally everybody and their brother has a CM.. Come to find out even my brother has one... I like to be different and for that reason alone I would have went 6x47l. Had I known.. Also I could care less about factory ammo... A friend of mine has the Lapua and now he wants a CM build.... go figure...

I have both with 22" barrels. If you want easy loading and Gnats *** accuracy my vote is 6.5x47L. If you want higher velocity with excellent accuracy then 6.5CM. Burning more powder at the same pressures equals more velocity. The same bullets tested with the same powders and the same twist rate.

The new Lapua small primer pocket 6.5 CM brass will really give you the ability to hot rod it. Only negative will be more throat wear at the higher pressures and temperatures. But barrels are replaceable.

Back