Seem to have an ammo problem with Hornady 17 HMR

huntschool

Wife and I were shooting today. Gun is a New England Arms heavy barrel 17 HMR. Fired several rounds and I happened to look at one of the empty cases..... the case was split at the shoulder. I then looked at the other shot cases and found four more that were split as bad or worse. These were the 20 gr loads and the ammo is several years old.

I am rather surprised about this. I know I have fired well over 500 rounds out of this gun and never noticed this before but then I was not looking either.

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this on their ammo.

I am going to give Hornady a call on Monday and see if they know anything.

Normally I might think its a bad chamber but I just dont see that here...

Really thin brass it happens quite often the older it is the more it does it. My Anschutz does it too but always extract the fired case.
MB

Yea, I guess thats it. These loads are 10 plus years old. I am going to just shoot them for fun and get 4 boxes of new stuff and re sight the gun.

Thin and brittle brass, very common with the original run of 17HMR. If you inspect your ammo, you find it's cracked prior to shooting.

I had one, that due to humidity ,cause the powder to go bad. The primer fired only and stuck a bullet in my barrel. Good thing I pay attention when shooting ,otherwise I'd blown up my rifle with the next shot fired.

I called Hornady and they had me send it all in on my dime. After inspection, they replaced it with more than I sent to cover shipping costs on my end.

I have had the same thing happen with some 17 HMR ammo. No biggie. Shoot it up and get some more. I have had the best results with the Federal 17gr V-Max ammo. Cut my group sizes in half vs Hornady.

Robert

Back