Anyone know how long a coyots memory/ action span lasts?

So my situation is, I drive into an area at night, kill the truck, its a good area to call from the truck. Most likely anything within a 1000yards probably heard my diesel come in. How long do you think a coyot will remember the noise of the vehicle in there area. When should I start calling?

Just my opinion but you will probably get the most helpful answer from a guy in your area. Seems to me that coyote behaviors differ significantly from one area to the next depending on population desire and hunting pressure. Here in md, I will walk in to coyote sets. But one stare away or even a county over, I have to walk a lot less. Any contest hunters out that way to ask?

Yotes around here don't give a carp about tractors or trucks. A Gator will get their attention though. I would assume they know your truck can't hurt them if it's parked.

They're pretty smart dogs.

I don't know how remote your hunting area is but down here they hear vehicles all the time. I'd wait 10-15 minutes then start calling.
Coyotes do have long term memory but I don't think, at least in my area, that they are bothered by vehicle noise. We see them from the tractor seat pretty often.
If you shoot and miss, the coyote can remember that.

Last edited:
I'm in central Washington, fairly open hilly country, some flatter land too. Out here if your driving and you see a yote at 800 yards they'll stop and just look at you, but the second they see the brake lights there on a dead run. I'm interested to find out if they do the same at night. I just recently got a thermal scanner, so Ill find out soon enough. But just the noise of the truck and them not having eyes on you, may be the key. Sitting and waiting for 15 to 20 minutes before calling, may just the key.

Back