AR Tools

champ198

was browsing around on Midway this morning and found the Wheeler Engineering Delta Series AR 15 ultra Armorers tool kit.
says it has every tool needed to build an AR start to finish.
have any of you all used this kit?
is it worth the money.
figuring out what tools are a must have is almost as much of a chore as trying to figure out what parts to use to build one

This going to be hard to explain. If your going to build or disassemble Ar's with military front sights, 2 piece handguards, military type gas blocks, etc., this kit is ok depending on what the torque wrench torque's to. If your going to build from scratch more modern type varmint/predator/target uppers with a free float hand guard, gas blocks, etc., there's a lot in the armorer's kit that you won't use & other things that you will need to buy like maybe several size crowsfoot wrenches, a 3/8 or 1/2" socket torque wrench, etc. Also I don't like using receiver vice blocks, I like a Geisselle reaction rod. Just one person's thought's & opinions.
JD

I wouldn't spend $250 on AR-15 tools! There seems to be a bunch of stuff in that kit that won't get used, or will get replaced with tools that may work better. And as posted, you will need a torque wrench...put more money in that. I have built a bunch of ARs, as well over 20, with a front takedown pin install tool(saves flying detent pins), a set of special punches for the bolt catch assembly, an armor's wrench, and an upper receiver vise block. Throw in a T-handled hex head wrench for the pistol grip retainer screw, a set of roll pin punches, and nice plastic hammer, and you should be good to go. A delrin punch comes in handy, but I use my Glock Takedown tool, for non-mar punch work.

One word of advice. When purchasing a lower receiver, try to find one that has an integral trigger guard. The biggest risk in assembling an AR-15 is snapping off an ear of the lower receiver, installing the trigger guard roll pin. I cringe every time I do it...If it breaks, unless you know some talented welder, you now have ATF serialized junk. Just get a lower, with the trigger guard that was part of the billet, or the original casting, and save yourself the risk of that nightmare.

Good luck with your new addiction.
lol.gif
To be sure, it will become an addiction.

Squeeze

Squeeze,I wondered if you ever used the Geissele Reaction Rod instead of a receiver vise block? To me, it's the best tool since sliced bread.
..................................................................................................
About 2 months ago, Home Depot was offering a Tekton Gunsmith punch set with a wooden bench block and about 20 punches, regular, roll pin, starter punches, every punch you will need. I purchased one & it's awesome. Bend or break one, no problem, email them & they will send you another n/c.

Jim D

I have a receiver vice block and a Geissele reaction. I prefer the vice block when torquing down (or removing a stubborn barrel nut. I like having the receiver supported from the inside and the outside. The reaction rod is the bees knees-for muzzle devices.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeI wouldn't spend $250 on AR-15 tools! There seems to be a bunch of stuff in that kit that won't get used, or will get replaced with tools that may work better. And as posted, you will need a torque wrench...put more money in that. I have built a bunch of ARs, as well over 20, with a front takedown pin install tool(saves flying detent pins), a set of special punches for the bolt catch assembly, an armor's wrench, and an upper receiver vise block. Throw in a T-handled hex head wrench for the pistol grip retainer screw, a set of roll pin punches, and nice plastic hammer, and you should be good to go. A delrin punch comes in handy, but I use my Glock Takedown tool, for non-mar punch work.

One word of advice. When purchasing a lower receiver, try to find one that has an integral trigger guard. The biggest risk in assembling an AR-15 is snapping off an ear of the lower receiver, installing the trigger guard roll pin. I cringe every time I do it...If it breaks, unless you know some talented welder, you now have ATF serialized junk. Just get a lower, with the trigger guard that was part of the billet, or the original casting, and save yourself the risk of that nightmare.

Good luck with your new addiction.
lol.gif
To be sure, it will become an addiction.

Squeeze

Don't get me wrong I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. I would be fine with ordering the tools individually as long as I knew what i HAD to have. and that is pretty tough to figure out as well since it seems each have their own opinion on what is a must have. i get a good Torque wrench is a must and punches and armors wrench and something like a vise block or the Gessele reaction rod that Texas is talking about. but what all else?

champ, that's kind of what I was trying to say. Say your installing model x hand guard, you will need certain tools. To install model y HG, you might need some totally different tools. Unfortunately, they are not all the same. For the barrels & HG's I install & use, I need a: 1 1/8, 1 1/4, or 1 3/8's crows foot wrench, a 1/2" socket torque wrench that goes to 100+ ft/lbs, a 1/2" break over bar, #15 & 20 torx drivers or maybe hex wrenches, & sometimes loc-tite or similar anti-seize. You'll need anti-seize anyhow for the barrel nut. And I use HB alignment pins to align the gas block. Most just mark & eyeball. Your GB will determine what size HG I.D. you must buy if you want to cover the GB up.
....................................................................................................
Other HG's may require an armorer's wrench & a strap wrench etc.
....................................................................................................
As Squeeze stated, don't be without a front take down pin install tool (Brownells), makes life easier.
One last thing I'll say, their not expensive, order a spare pak of detents & assorted AR15 springs. You won't be sorry.

Jim D

Thanks fellas just trying to get started. Actually picked up my lower today for a Spikes punisher logo one at the local shop. He has quite a bit of AR stuff and is a pretty good dude and is gonna help me get some of the stuff I need to get this going

Originally Posted By: Texas Swifty
One last thing I'll say, their not expensive, order a spare pak of detents & assorted AR15 springs. You won't be sorry.

Jim D

So True. It is not a matter of if you lose one, it will happen

Back