Info on .223 AI loads for Coyotes

huntschool

Well, I am moving on to my next project gun. It will be a .223 AI. I have perused the files and read a bunch of stuff on this load but much of what is in "our" history here is old, like 2011 or so. I would like to hear from anyone using one now....

That being the case anyone have some tales and recipes for loads for coyotes. I anticipate a fast twist barrel so heavier bullets are OK. I know some will say why am I going with this round so..... I have a 17 Fireball being built. I have a 22 Hornet that is going to be converted to K Hornet, I have a 22-250, and then several bigger..... I just think the .223 AI looks like a neat round. Brass is cheap etc.....

Thanks in advance

I had a 223AI built a few years ago. The gun started life as a new Rem 700 LTR 223 that shot very well. Not sure why but I soon got bored with it so I dropped it off at Defensive Edge Rifles which does all my builds. They trued the action, ordered me a new Hart 1-9tw barrel and had the gun done in less than 3 months. It shoots unbelievably well, definitely shoots better than I do.

The original barrel on the LTR was only 20in. so I had them keep the new barrel on the shortish side at 22in. It's my "go to" coyote gun and pretty much all I've shot in it are the 53Vmax behind a healthy dose of Benchmark lit by Fed. 205M's. If you save pelts I would not use this bullet as it leaves big messy holes but it sure does anchor a coyote in a hurry. I run mine suppressed with a TBAC 223 suppressor and it makes for a very quiet package.

FWIW, keep your expectations realistic on how much velocity gain you'll get with a 223AI over a straight 223. They definitely shoot a little faster but it's not substantially faster like some will have you believe. I have quite a few different "improved" chambered guns and though they require a bit more work because of the fireforming process, they all shoot extremely well during fireforming, so much so that I often hunt with my fireforming loads.

Best of luck on your new build.

Mine started live as a SPS Tactical,223. It shot decent but I wanted more. I bought a 9 twist Shilen barrel, had it contoured just like the 20" factory barrel. Sets in a Bell&Carlson M40 stock. All the metal was done in FDE. It shoots 55 grain Blitz Kings really well.

Mine are on Savage actions with 24" CBI 8 and 9 twist in a heavy sporter contours. I shoot 50 vmax for groundhogs to fireform and 53 vmax @ about 3550 fps once formed. I can get 3000fps with 75 amax out of the 8 twist. If I were to load for coyote I would use 55 or 65 gr sgk bullets as they have worked well in my AR.

For a calling rifle, I would opt for a zero freebore, 12T, shoot 55g Nosler BT, or 55g Sierra #1365 at 3700 fps, 24-26" barrel, #4 contour...barrel as long as you can stand. A 20" barrel swings just as fast as a 26"....6 oz max more weight on a 26". Why loose 150 fps?

N135 is the powder that will get you 3700 with the 55's and N133 will get you 3800 with the 50g, thick cup primers.

Your next project, converting the 22/250 to an AI, 55's at 4050-4100 with Varget, 60g Berger or V max at 3700.

I have much the opposite opinion...after having a 12 twist 223 AI, if I rebarrel this one, or build another, it will be an 8 twist gun, with a 20 barrel.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI have much the opposite opinion...after having a 12 twist 223 AI, if I rebarrel this one, or build another, it will be an 8 twist gun, with a 20 barrel.

Me too- opposite way the other way. Because I never shoot anything heavier than 55 grain in any of my .224 bore guns I use barrels that are mostly 1/14" twist. And these measure from 24 to 28" in length. But I am mostly a sage rat and prairie dog hunter so most of my loads use bullets between 40 and 50 grain. And 50 grain bullets out of my .223 AI worked just dandy at killing prairie dogs out to 700 yards.

I assume velocity gain will be between 100 and 150 fps as that is what I have seen published most.

As to the twist, I guess I favor something in the fast category as I will likely be shooting over 50 gr but might try some lighter. Have to do some more reading/listening.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog Mine started live as a SPS Tactical,223. It shot decent but I wanted more. I bought a 9 twist Shilen barrel, had it contoured just like the 20" factory barrel. Sets in a Bell&Carlson M40 stock. All the metal was done in FDE. It shoots 55 grain Blitz Kings really well.

I started out this way as well. The gun actually shot better as a straight 223 than it did after Baldwin punched it out to AI. I still liked the cartridge enough that I am picking up my new 223AI full custom with a 22" 7tw rock creek tomorrow from Mr. Beanland. Planning on running the Berger 80.5's or the Sierra 77gn TMK's. Eventually I will trash the barrel on the first AI and have it trued up and built for my son to shoot. He is 6 now, so he is hot on the heels of his 22lr.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI have much the opposite opinion...after having a 12 twist 223 AI, if I rebarrel this one, or build another, it will be an 8 twist gun, with a 20 barrel.

Why?

Originally Posted By: ackleyman

Why?

An 8 twist for 70-80.5 gr bullets, and a short barrel for sanity with a suppressor. Yes..I know I would lose some speed...but with the Ackley, i regain any speed lost with cutting the barrel...so its even up, with added benefit of increased brass life, no trimming, etc...

As it is, my 17" CZ 12 twist gun is shooting over 3500fps as it is...

Well, this little gem followed me home from Mr. Beanland's shop today. Defiance Deviant, Manners EH1 Elite Swamp, 22" Rock Creek #4/7twist, Huber trigger, Defiance DBM, Accurate 223 mags milled out to feed the 80.5's, with a Suppressed Armament TOMB mount for the Barricade to keep things sociable.

Time to break out the IMR 8208XBR and some big berger pills.

Last edited:
Thanks guys......

Huckleberry, nice gun. Hope it shoots well for you.

If anyone has anything else please throw it in here....

Thanks again

Not a 223 AI but in the same class 40gr NBT's at 3950fps in a 21" barrel is my goto load for coyotes. It's a 22-204, about a half grain larger capacity than the 223 AI. My rifle has a 1-9 twist but I find the 40gr NBT's extremely accurate, no splashes, no exits and drops them like a hammer. 2230 or Exterminator is my go to powder.

Originally Posted By: CinchThat's a great looking rifle Huckleberry... I have two 8 twist 223Ackleys I run 75gr Amaxs in...

Thx for the kind words sir. Besides the 80.5 bergers, I have some 77 TMK'S to try as well
I would expect results similar to that of the 75amax.

Here she is, all dressed up to play. Also, I settled on this for a fire forming load. That is 5x @ 100yds with the LRHS @ 12x. Load is LC Brass, CCI-450, 24.0gns of IMR8208XBR and an 80.5gn Berger seated at 2.485" jumping 20thou. Group measured at 0.2455" CTC and was shots #17 to 21 down the barrel. I expect it to tighten up once I get the brass formed, but that will work for now.

Just waiting to catch an unsuspecting Yote or Crow to break it in on.

Back