bobcat cough bark

Bobcats can sure make some strange sounds but the cough bark sounds like a new one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$bob$

I think trappers and hound men may hear the cough bark on occasion, but I have no idea of any place where you could hear it. Maybe go to the nearest zoo and tease one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just kidding! About teasing one, that is.

I got a great big FAT house cat and I know when she hacks up a hairball it sure sounds like a cough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

I imagine bobcat's get hairballs?!? HA!

Last edited:
Never have heard a BOBCAT do this, though I've called quite a few and live among good numbers of them.

But I do frequently hear GRAY FOX make what could best be described as a cough-bark. Seems to be some sort of a warning call, like a snort-wheeze for a deer. Once in a while after I call one in, it'll sit out in the brush cough-barking, complaining that there wasn't a live rabbit anywhere to be found at the end of the line, perhaps?

Sound might just call a bobcat now and again, though.

LionHo

I think the only time you'll hear a cough-bark from a bobcat is when it's threatened or scared. Chances of hearing it while calling are probably slim to none. I can't think of a reason to try and duplicate the sound, but it might be nice knowing what it sounds like.

I never heard of a bobcat doing such a thing. Then again, most all I've seen close up were dead. A lion can make a whistle a cough and bark, maybe a bobcat can too? that would be interesting to know.

Quote:
But I do frequently hear GRAY FOX make what could best be described as a cough-bark.

I heard this for the first time a couple months ago early one morning around camp. Never heard it before, and for the life of me couldn't figure out what it was. Got out of bed and glassed the far side of the small canyon we were camped on and couldn't see a thing. My best guess was it was a bobcat momma that was looking for her kits that were lost or had been killed.

Happened again late one night 3 weeks later at the same camp. Thing went on for a good hour. Still almost had myself convinced it was a bobcat, but I wasn't sure. Fox crossed my mind, but it sounded more "catty" to me.

Wasn't until I returned home a few days later and watched Byron's latest DVD (with the decoy snatching fox) that it got all put together for me! Fox. Funny all my years in the woods and I had never heard that before.

Guess I was camped right in the middle of the little guys territory and he wasn't too happy about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Back