info on building first AR

champ198

have never built an AR but have been wanting to for years and it never happened for one reason or the other.
now im at a point I can start one.

what are some good info sources to check out to get started. just to make sure I have all I need. I know they take some special tools and so on.
are there any good books or anything like that that lists thing in step by step for a rookie

Also, you can go on you tube and watch some of the videos. There are some good videos on there, some junky ones also. You'll have to watch the videos but you can tell real quick if the guy knows what he is talking about or not.

Hey champ,
About 4-5 years ago the only thing I knew about AR's was how the safety worked & how to pull the trigger. I decided I wanted to learn how to build one & being disabled, I started researching the internet, watching lots of you tubes, reading forums at different sites, & reading on the internet. After a month or more of this 3-4-5 hours a day, I felt I was ready & built my 1st one with my ipad right in front of me in case of a problem, then I just googled the problem. It turned out great & now have built 20+, some really nice & expensive. JUST A NOTE: With AR's priced at an all time low, I don't believe you can buy parts & build a decent AR for what you can buy one for. But if you want to as a hobby, you'll learn watching videos & you tubes, + reading, what tools will be mandatory to have. Then you will have to buy other tools time to time. Probably the most confusing part of building AR's is installation of the oh so many different hand guards and making your gun run reliably. Just spend lots of time studying & asking questions & you'll learn as you go. Hel, I'm still learning. Hope this helps & best of luck to you.
Jim D

Jim D really hit the nail on the head. You''ll get a few parts you decide you don't like when they arrive no matter how much you research them. I just put them in a box and let me boys have them when they come home as they always have builds going on. Complete ARs are cheap right now but when you put them together you get exactly what you want that shoots well.

AR15.com has a pretty good technical section for building,maintaining and troubleshooting the AR15.
I've used it to build 5 rifles so far.

im sure I could just buy an AR vs building one and would be fine but just not what im wanting to do. im stubborn I know
smile.gif

just something I have been wanting to do and don't want just the old 5.56 or 223 gun want something different. was thinking 6.5 creed but now knowing that the 6.50 creed is built on an AR10 platform Im looking at a 6.5 grendel

champ, not being stubborn at all, you just want to be proud to build one like you want that shoots great. IMO, I don't know how picky you are about target/hunting accuracy, but mostly likely you will not buy a $100-$150 barrel that's going to have the bench accuracy of a $300-$400 barrel. I'm in general speaking about the difference in 1moa vs. 1/2moa. champ, there's hundreds of places to purchase parts but a good one is Primary Arms. I live about 45 minutes from them & they are an internet business with some great people & they put lots of quality parts on sale regularly. They are very helpful & will answer calls & emails. Good luck buddy,
Jim D

champ, not being stubborn at all, you just want to be proud to build one like you want that shoots great. IMO, I don't know how picky you are about target/hunting accuracy, but mostly likely you will not buy a $100-$150 barrel that's going to have the bench accuracy of a $300-$400 barrel. I'm in general speaking about the difference in 1moa vs. 1/2moa. champ, there's hundreds of places to purchase parts but a good one is Primary Arms. I live about 45 minutes from them & they are an internet business with some great people & they put lots of quality parts on sale regularly. They are very helpful & will answer calls & emails. Good luck buddy,
Jim D SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST!!!

Last edited:
Back