Quickie with a good friend

CountryWildcat

My wife and I took a trip with the kids to visit some friends a few hours away this last weekend. We took some vacation in order to stay a couple extra days. It just so happens my friend got a new rifle on Friday; a TC Venture in 7mm-08. He got a good deal on it and put on a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. He hasn't been hit hard by the hunting bug yet, but recently moved and plans to hunt deer this year.

On Monday, we sighted it in. We had plans to try to call a coyote that night, but got distracted and didn't have time after supper. Tuesday night we made it a priority to get supper finished and get out for one stand before dark. His closest neighbors are over a half mile away as the crow flies, and there is a small creek that is the boundary of his backyard only 100 yds from the house.

We left the house shortly after 7pm, and set up 200-300 yds down the creek from his house. We were up against a couple lone trees at the edge of a small field looking down into the creek bottom. Our longest shot opportunities would be under 150 yds. I was trying not to be too hopeful, as he had never called coyotes before, this was a new spot to me, and I wasn't sure if anything would show up this close to the house. I also don't haven't had much experience or luck this late in the season, but he had heard them very often in the creek bottom during the evenings so off we went.

I used Randy Anderson's denning set on the Alpha Dog, which starts with female invitation, then goes silent, followed by pup serenade. Between pup serenade and pup distress, we had one come in. Only 5-10 minutes from the start of calling. She was just over 100 yds away, and we were far enough apart that neither of us knew if the other saw her. I moved as she did to get her in the scope, and then waited to see if he would shoot. I was content to wait for pup distress if he hadn't seen her yet, because I wanted him to shoot. Just as these thoughts are going thru my mind, he fires, and she looks like she was hit by 10000 volts. Never took a step, never kicked or rolled that I could see. He didn't know if I could see her, and if I wanted to shoot, but he couldn't wait, and she was perfectly lined up facing right at him. Neither of us did very well at containing our excitement. We called for a few more minutes, then went to pick up the prize.

First time calling, first coyote ever shot, first kill with his new rifle that we had only sighted in the day before. That's why we hunt. I've not even killed ten coyotes myself and I already get more satisfaction from something like this than if I had pulled the trigger myself. 124 yds, 140gr Winchester power point, in the chest, no exit. Just doesn't get much better than that.

On the way back up to the house to show off to the wives and kids, we jumped a couple of cottontails. I happened to be carrying my H&K VP9 with Hornady Critical defense, so we dropped our gear, and I was able to connect with this one. I was pretty proud of myself, I figure he was at least 15-20 yds. I drew fur on his buddy, but no blood and he ran away.

This is one of those hunts we will never forget, and hope to have more of. Good hunts and good friends are not something to take for granted, especially when you get to enjoy them both at the same time.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762That crital defense appears to be quite fur friendly
sneaky2.gif

Nice write up

That's what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: BowhuntOriginally Posted By: Infidel 762That crital defense appears to be quite fur friendly
sneaky2.gif

Nice write up

That's what I was thinking.

Realize the rabbit is a small critter, but did the CD appear to have opened any? May need to take a 2nd look at my choice of ammo.

Regards,
hm

I was also a little surprised. To be honest, I'm not sure what I should expect shooting a rabbit broadside, and I haven't tested that type of performance before. The entrance hole is right above the trigger guard and the exit is exactly on the other side. It is a little larger than quarter sized. You can see some blood splatter in the grass just above and to the left of the rabbit's head.

I went into academy sports one day to buy some ammo; planned to get gold dot. I learned that day that academy, at least locally, only carried hornady self defense pistol ammo. No other brands. I haven't done any other shopping or testing of the performance, only function and making sure accuracy is ok.

Back